Cavies Struggles

I think that by Minneapolis, Cavies will probably be around 5th place.

It would require a huge amount of cleaning on their part, and for the brass staff to find fixes to a raft of almost shockingly obvious intonation, tempo, phrasing and balance issues (exposed unison staccato 8th notes at 180 bpm are a lot harder than anyone probably thought they'd be).

Program-wise, yes, I think they could have a top 5 show. It's melodically more interesting and more consistently themed than Madison, Bluecoats, or Regiment's programs, imho. It's also being marched and played (in the horns) at a level significantly under what each of those other corps are offering. Percussion and guard are already top 5 material; they need to get the hornline and the visual programs cleaned up significantly in order to make a push up from the 7/8 position.

The good news for them is that with the exception of the cheerleader-pyramid (ugh) there's not really that much in the show that needs re-writing. So they have the luxury of focusing on cleaning what they have, rather than having to totally re-think the show, as they did last year.

Edited by Slingerland

the exception of the cheerleader-pyramid (ugh) there's not really that much in the show that needs re-writing

I thought the pyramid took a little too long to develop, but I don't mind the concept so much. According to the Muncie broadcast, it got HUGE applause.

I thought the pyramid took a little too long to develop, but I don't mind the concept so much. According to the Muncie broadcast, it got HUGE applause.

I think they're going for a Fight Club moment, but the pyramid just ain't it. (and long-development is one of the issues, along with the "Greased Lightning" homage from the horn players).

Perhaps it can come pre-assembled. :w00t:

• Like 1

I think they're going for a Fight Club moment, but the pyramid just ain't it.

Really?

Why is everything with you people on dcp about the Cavaliers always trying to copy 2002? Maybe it just the type of thing they have in every show? Moments throughout all 00,03,04,05,06,07,08,10,11,12, and now again in 13?

Why is the displeasure for the same stock show from phatom or blue devils, or the same keys played musically every year by bluecoats, nonexistent? It is very easy for y'all to pick on the cavaliers every year, and you say you don't talk badly about the members, just the design staff. But you can't honestly think it doesn't always go back on the performers every time you say something like that.

Just let the kids perform, and enjoy it or keep it to yourself. Now off my soapbox, sorry to explode in that.

• Like 3

It is very easy for y'all to pick on the cavaliers every year, and you say you don't talk badly about the members, just the design staff. But you can't honestly think it doesn't always go back on the performers every time you say something like that.

The members don't design the show. And Cavaliers' stock in trade in their 2000s run was being one step ahead of the curve, not going back to the past. The pyramid is cheesy, and I hope for their sake that they come up with something that is more active, and more drill-oriented for the 40 seconds it takes them to build a cheerleader pyramid. They can do more with that percussion writing than they are.

It's not "picking' on anyone if you see them wearing a t-shirt with a suit, and let them know it might not be their best choice.

It is very easy for y'all to pick on the cavaliers every year, and you say you don't talk badly about the members, just the design staff.

I have never gotten that impression from DCP. Cavies are usually immune to major criticism, from what I've seen.

• Like 1

That word there is really important. Muncie is filled with kids that flip over the littlest things. The anti-J. Birney Crum/backwoods never heard of drum corps stadium crowd.

Alright, who's getting all sensitive in here? There have been at least 3 wrongfully minused posts on this page of the thread alone, one of them even an offhanded comment from Boo! :rock:/>