BD v. SCV

I've always wondered: how are the crowds at shows in California when BD and SCV are gone? There are always a couple...

They always switch off with one doing the south and the other doing the northern stuff like Iowa and on to New England. The Northwest thing always seemed to me like it happens ever third year or something..

I'm sure they make bank off doing the system blue thing but it's not the only reason they do it. I was lucky enough to move to a town that has both high schools taught by BD staff and there are a lot of kids in BDB (15 from my local school alone) and I know there are also a few kids who made A corps too!

My son is going to be teaching a school in the next town come fall for Pit but will also tech the battery too.

There are a lot of schools around this part of the bay that have really good band programs thanks to BD and there are a lot of schools on the other side that have good programs thanks to SCV! worthy.gif

If that means that there will be a couple less shows in order to keep the music alive then I'm all for that!

Go to your local High School shows! Support the activity's growth!

• Like 1

Seems like the corps from South Carolina is doing more shows in California than that one corps from... California.

• Like 2

Seems like the corps from South Carolina is doing more shows in California than that one corps from... California.

Sheesh, I give up.

• Like 1

I've always wondered: how are the crowds at shows in California when BD and SCV are gone? There are always a couple...

I haven't been in several years but they used to be well attended. I always enjoyed watching BDB, SCV Cadets and Mandarins. In the old days Mandarins stayed in the west until just before finals when they would move east. I am sure it was a budget thing. Now we are getting SoCal corps and it is our only chance to see them. I am considering going to the Sacramento show (actually, Elk Grove) this year.

As someone that attended the Sacramento show this past Sunday was it my imagination or was the crowd not very big. I was comparing it to the old UOP show which is where it used to be. To be fair I am judging this from one photo I saw that was posted on this site.

• Like 1

I was referring to the show in Santa Clara last night. BD was in Sacramento Sunday and wasn't scheduled to perform again until Saturday. Surely they could have done the West Coast fans a solid by stopping in Santa Clara?

As for BD's home show, I realize now I mistook the Walnut, Calif., show for Walnut Creek in BD's backyard. My bad. But my point is the same. Too few shows out west for BD and SCV not to appear near home before they venture off on their respective tours.

HH

Do you mean just california? because there are many shows "out west" or specifically on the west coast that either BD or SCV are performing at.

Both BD and SCV have performed at Clovis, Stanford, and Sacramento. Close to the center of the state. I am sure a lot of the people in the state interested in seeing Crown, BD, and SCV (and BK) together went to the shows.

BD will be performing at walnut and riverside. It may be noteworthy to discuss BD taking monday-friday off from performing. but that isn't the point of the thread.

SCV performed at santa clara, and will be performing in Medford Oregon, Tualatin oregon, Renton washington, and Pasco washington.

I feel like that is a full slate of of shows for the west coast.

Considering that florida doesn't even have any shows again this year, having 7 shows in california (excluding open class which bumps it up to 11) makes them either at the top or very near the top for world class shows. Indiana is close, mostly due to prelims semis and finals. Adding the NW shows, the west coast has 11 shows. 11 chances for people all over the west coast to see 3 of the top 5 corps from last year before they head eastwards and eventually join up with the other corps at minnesota.

I guess relaying facts displeases some folks on here.

BD does 5 shows in California.

Crown does 7. (And did one in Arizona before hand.)

According to BD's website, for all of June, they will do just one System Blue clinic (this coming Thursday).

• Like 2

I guess relaying facts displeases some folks on here.

BD does 5 shows in California.

Crown does 7. (And did one in Arizona before hand.)

According to BD's website, for all of June, they will do just one System Blue clinic (this coming Thursday).

I don't mind facts. Facts are reality. BD does 5 shows and Crown does 7. and... what?

Crown is trying to take advantage of BD by getting more judging time? BD is trying to take advantage of Crown by getting more practice time?

Myself, I can't imagine all the factors that go into trying to arrange a drum corps season tour schedule. At this point in history, I am happy we still have drum corps to enjoy.

Have DCI pass a rule to require all World Class Corps to perform x number of shows with full panel 8 judges. Problem solved.

Edited by c mor

I don't mind facts. Facts are reality. BD does 5 shows and Crown does 7. and... what?

Crown is trying to take advantage of BD by getting more judging time? BD is trying to take advantage of Crown by getting more practice time?

Myself, I can't imagine all the factors that go into trying to arrange a drum corps season tour schedule. At this point in history, I am happy we still have drum corps to enjoy.

I guess my point is if Crown can travel across the country and do 7 shows in California (and one in Arizona on the way out there), I would expect BD to be able to manage the same in their home state.

I'm not going to speculate as to the why's, but the drum corps season isn't that long to begin with. Would it really hurt the organization financially or competitively to play to two more West Coast crowds while they're already in the area?

• Like 2

I guess my point is if Crown can travel across the country and do 7 shows in California (and one in Arizona on the way out there), I would expect BD to be able to manage the same in their home state.

I'm not going to speculate as to the why's, but the drum corps season isn't that long to begin with. Would it really hurt the organization financially or competitively to play to two more West Coast crowds while they're already in the area?

If I understand your "tone of voice" you have an honest question. I assume Crown's tour expense increased by coming out west this year - (I think we can agree that is obvious.) I would also assume they would want to pick up as many shows as they could to help offset expenses, just as a practical answer on their part.

As to the whys and such of BDs show appearance decisions, really, I am just someone who marched there over 35 years ago... try contacting dgibbs@bluedevils.org

I did email him requesting BD go to San Diego next year.