BD v. SCV

1372174913[/url]' post='3273723']

Are you speaking of the show in Pleasant Hill on July 7th? That is hosted by the B corps. The A corps is in Colorado.

BD's show used to be Precision West. However, with the shortening of the drum corps season, and fewer weekends available, their show was discontinued in favor of Stanford - DCI West.

Yea that totally sucks. I miss PW in July before big tour. I have been to every one but two or three.

Suggesting that the schedule as it is is an indication that BD "is all about BD" is pretty off base. The truth of the matter is that the west coast season is very short while at the same time spread over a wide distance. Yes, BD could choose to follow SCV north and leave the SoCal shows light on top end, world class corps. Or, SCV could choose to follow BD south and leave the shows in the northwest lacking for top corps. After this week, there won't be another show featuring a WC Finalist corps within a thousand miles of here for the rest of the year. The corps do their best to split the schedule so as to provide the best shows for the west coast as is possible given the limitations of time and distance. To even hint that it is based in some selfish motivation is simply not justified.

I did not mention the schedule at all but used the thread as an opportunity to learn some information which I do not previously had. You didn't provide it. In fact, your over the top reaction is almost Shakespearean, "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

• Like 3

1372175351[/url]' post='3273728']

I did not mention the schedule at all but used the thread as an opportunity to learn some information which I do not previously had. You didn't provide it. In fact, your over the top reaction is almost Shakespearean, "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

My posts have never ever been considered even remotely Shakespearean. Usually it's more like Mickey Spillane! I musta picked up more cul-cha than I thought!

Well, what kind of answer were you seeking?

SCV & BD are not at each others' shows. We are not inside the organizations at this point, merely sharing info speculating possible reasons...

How about; The directors casually walked by each other at a DCI meeting, and one punched the other, and swore, "I am never coming to your show again!"

devil.gif

• Like 1

I was referring to the show in Santa Clara last night. BD was in Sacramento Sunday and wasn't scheduled to perform again until Saturday. Surely they could have done the West Coast fans a solid by stopping in Santa Clara?

As for BD's home show, I realize now I mistook the Walnut, Calif., show for Walnut Creek in BD's backyard. My bad. But my point is the same. Too few shows out west for BD and SCV not to appear near home before they venture off on their respective tours.

HH

• Like 1

I was referring to the show in Santa Clara last night. BD was in Sacramento Sunday and wasn't scheduled to perform again until Saturday. Surely they could have done the West Coast fans a solid by stopping in Santa Clara?

As for BD's home show, I realize now I mistook the Walnut, Calif., show for Walnut Creek in BD's backyard. My bad. But my point is the same. Too few shows out west for BD and SCV not to appear near home before they venture off on their respective tours.

HH

I agree, you have a valid point. I always loved the Santa Clara show, and the Concord show, and the Stockton show, and San Jose, South San Fran, San Leandro, and Sacramento, the Salinas night parade, the Gilroy garlic festival parade, 20 Holy Ghost Parades, etc... times have surely changed.

Edited by c mor

As a drum corps fan in San Diego, I can assure you that BD has not made an appearance at our (Friday) show in many years, but always attends Pacific Crest's two weekend shows in Walnut and Riverside. BD never misses Riverside because so many BD staffers are also on the staff for Riverside Community College's marching band.

Vanguard has been at the SoCal shows the past several years before deciding to do the Pacific NW swing this year. They usually alternate between Northwest and Southwest, so it's about 50/50.

As a drum corps fan in San Diego, I can assure you that BD has not made an appearance at our (Friday) show in many years, but always attends Pacific Crest's two weekend shows in Walnut and Riverside. BD never misses Riverside because so many BD staffers are also on the staff for Riverside Community College's marching band.

Vanguard has been at the SoCal shows the past several years before deciding to do the Pacific NW swing this year. They usually alternate between Northwest and Southwest, so it's about 50/50.

I know schedules seem to tend to fall into ruts year by year. I think BD should alternate more like SCV does, and try to do shows in various places. They go to Lithuania, surely they can arrange to rotate in San Diego. After all, San Diego is not a terrible tour stop is it? satisfied.gif

I just sent Dave an email. Maybe they'll change it up next year. All you can do is ask, right?

• Like 1

SCV was doing pre-tour four-ish hours away from BD's Family Day this year, and SCV didn't really have one. I was slightly surprised that BD didn't make the easy drive over to Santa Clara for Pacific Procession, since it was always a big show for those two corps. But BD got a free day yesterday, and are rehearsing the rest of the week in SoCal, so it works for them. They'll meet up again in Utah.

It's good to see SCV doing the Northwest tour, that swing is always great. The weather is nice, the people are appreciative, and the climb in altitude makes it really easy when you get to Denver, since you're already prepared for the thin air.

• Like 1