BD v. SCV

Lot's of smart people here and yet nobody considers the economics of the small drum corps show sponsor.

*Mid week show in small stadium does not have the potential to draw a huge crowd with high ticket prices. Especially when you are competing with big shows on the weekends.

*Stadium rental cost and other logistic expenses to put on a show. Schools do not provide these things for free and it is not cheap.

*DCI contract. Covers judges and payment to the corps and other overhead. How many top drum corps are in your show determines the contract price significantly.

Consider that SCV or BD not attending a show and forgoing a show fee may be allowing the show sponsor a chance at not losing money or being able to put the show on at all. The visiting top draw corps also needs as many opportunities as they can to offset tour costs and these small show provide a pay day and incentive to travel west.

When disputing what I have wrote, please indicate your participation and knowlege of sponsoring a small mid week show. I have been involved with small independent group show planning and the chance of losing money is very real. You need to be smart in all things drumcorps related including the economics of it all.

So the reigning world champions charge more than show sponsors feel they will bring in.

Interesting.

• Like 1

I have also wondered about the BD scheduling. After Sacramento this past Sunday they did not plan to show at Santa Clara or Oceanside. It seems like they also skipped one of the early SoCal shows last year.

I don't see SCV skipping any shows in California. In recent years after this past weekend they head north rather than south to support the Oregon and Washington shows. They join back together prior to the Drums Along the Rockies weekend.

When I look at their schedules I was surprised that neither corps is going to Casper, Wy to support the Troopers show. Crown, however, is going to Casper.

I guess at some point you need to take a break to work on your show.

It's all good. Last year the Casper show had Cascades, Boston, Phantom, SCV and Troopers. This year it's Thunder, Cascades, BK, Crown and Troopers. Nice variety for the home crowd. I don't think BD is dissin' anyone by not coming to Casper. If this show keeps going (it sold out end zone to end zone last year), I bet they'll take a swing by good ol' Casper town at some point.

Performance fees are regulated by DCI, and are based on the previous years' placement.

Ok, so the reigning world champions cost more than show sponsors feel they will bring in.

Ok, so the reigning world champions cost more than show sponsors feel they will bring in.

Yeah, pretty much. If Cadets, Crown, Phantom, and Blue Devils were scheduled to do a show at your local high school, would you guarantee you could make enough money to pay them all their appearance fees?

It is business - have to sell more than things cost to make money.

• Like 2

As the OP, allow me to simplify the question at hand.

The facts:

- BD and SCV "live" in the same neighborhood.

- BD and SCV are historic rivals.

- Top-placing corps aren't over-represented in West Coast shows.

So ...

It seems to me the right thing to do would be for BD and SCV to perform at each others' shows. The fans would like it.

It's really that simple. The North/South discussion is irrelevant. The two corps were both in the same neighborhood to start the week. The economics discussion is flimsy if only because it's difficult to imagine SCV (aren't they the show's producer?) telling BD to stay away. And if they did, that's not showing much respect for fans either. The clinic discussion is a distraction. BD rehearsing (or washing their socks) five and six days a week is a symptom of, not a response to, this regrettable situation.

Bottom line for me: Corps with the history of BD and SCV owe it to each other to give their respective fans the best-possible show.

HH

Yeah, pretty much. If Cadets, Crown, Phantom, and Blue Devils were scheduled to do a show at your local high school, would you guarantee you could make enough money to pay them all their appearance fees?

It is business - have to sell more than things cost to make money.

Point taken.

I'd be interested to know how DCI sets the fees. If they're flat across the board for each particular corps or if they vary depending on the show. Maybe smaller shows should get a bit of a break in appearance fees. Or base it off a percentage of the previous year's attendance.

As the OP, allow me to simplify the question at hand.

It seems to me the right thing to do would be for BD and SCV to perform at each others' shows. The fans would like it.

Bottom line for me: Corps with the history of BD and SCV owe it to each other to give their respective fans the best-possible show.

HH

I do agree with this. Send them an email. It doesn't do any good to complain about it here.

ACorps@SCVanguard.org

dgibbs@bluedevils.org