Best/worst thunderous goo this year?

DCI should tell the Corps that thunderous goo for no reason other than to make your brass line sound louder should in my opinion be penalised.

Judge the mixing desk!

Yeah, what he said! I think at any level, the sound mix needs to be judged to get them to take the mix more seriously.

Having been around soundmen all of my adult life, they always think their mix is perfect, no matter how many people come up to them and complain.

Have a judge riding their butt every show, and the sound will get better.

Edited by BushDad1213

Yeah, what he said! I think at any level, the sound mix needs to be judged to get them to take the mix more seriously.

Having been around soundmen all of my adult life, they always think their mix is perfect, no matter how many people come up to them and complain.

Have a judge riding their butt every show, and the sound will get better.

I think I remember somebody saying on DCP that the people who operate the desks are staff i.e. overage.

If true then that's one reason why they're not judged.

I think I remember somebody saying on DCP that the people who operate the desks are staff i.e. overage.

If true then that's one reason why they're not judged.

Yes, in fact, the rules explicitly forbid the sound board person from being a member, and rules to change that have been voted down. That said, the sound produced by the corps is still judgable. The members didn't write the music or the drill either.

Yes, in fact, the rules explicitly forbid the sound board person from being a member, and rules to change that have been voted down. That said, the sound produced by the corps is still judgable. The members didn't write the music or the drill either.

Yes, but the staff who wrote the drill or wrote the music are not actively taking part in every show. There as much a part of the show as the Drum Major or anyone else on the field.

I'm sure there are lots of 21 year olds and under who could do the job.

On the one hand, I really want volume to be strictly controlled by members (ideally the person actually creating the sound--if the tubas control their own volume, why not the marimbas?--but I know that's not going to happen).

On the other hand, there have repeatedly been comments in these forums about how difficult it would be even for the best professional to mix in drum corps situations: a new venue every night, relatively cheap equipment, and only a couple minutes to set it all up. So having a member in that position might make the sound even worse.

• Like 1

Actually.. I'm pretty sure it can be a member if you wish. The rule to limit it to members has been shot down.

In 2009 we definitely had a member running the sound board.

Just watched The Cadets show (who I LOVE btw) and that part in Medea when they go back into the big impact of Adagio with the split company spinny fronts? .....yeah LOTS of goo underneath that. I think that had something to do with mike placemtnt. Need to work that out before Indy. I don't want that moment ruined on the BluRay by errant amp placement

even with mic placement changing, at Indy, the concrete under the field, the roof, windows etc all add to elements that can amplify the goo

honestly, unless the judging community grows a set and start slamming people for the balance issues, nothing will change.

and the judging community won't, because it's the white elephant in the room...everyone is afraid to

• Like 1