Action Jackson

I think Coastal Surge may be done for the season. DCI's schedule lists tonight as the third of just three performance dates for them, and in none of these were they scored.

Yes, they only did three exhibitions this year. It's their first year as a corps, and they didn't want to over-extend themselves right out of the gate. Hopefully we'll see more of them next year and in the future.

Yes, they only did three exhibitions this year. It's their first year as a corps, and they didn't want to over-extend themselves right out of the gate. Hopefully we'll see more of them next year and in the future.

If that's the case they were right on the money. That's a really good thing they have going down there. Brass in particular played with a better grasp of technique and fundamental sound than both Raiders and Jersey Surf (though not as loud as either, obviously).

Edited by Kamarag

If that's the case they were right on the money. That's a really good thing they have going down there. Brass in particular played with a better grasp of technique and fundamental sound than both Raiders and Jersey Surf (though not as loud as either, obviously).

Good fundamental start then. It's easy to add volume, but it's harder to add good tone and intonation when you're just going for loud. I hope DCI will see more of them in the Future.

Was at the show...will post some thoughts tomorrow.

That being said...Cadets were underscored tonight. They should be 5 pointing everyone there...it's not even close. Top 3 without a doubt. Cadets/BD/Crown.

Why did I get negs for this? lulz

• Like 1

Was at the show...will post some thoughts tomorrow.

That being said...Cadets were underscored tonight. They should be 5 pointing everyone there...it's not even close. Top 3 without a doubt. Cadets/BD/Crown.

Cadets are championship calibre. I really don't recall seeing Cadets perform at this level in June in a very long time, probably back in the 90's. I really love Phantom's show and Bluecoats are doing some really amazing/ interesting things musically and visually but both have moments in their show where I start to drift off a bit. Cadets however, although not gunning as they usually do, keep you so engaged. There are enough musical and visual moments to pull you into Cadetland for the entire 11 minutes. Rankings were accurate last night, but overall scores were much lower than the California show. (Both Boston and Pacific Crest got 69's). Definite example of not comparing scores from different shows. Relative to the rest of the pack last night, I thought Cadets were underscored.

Phantom Regiment: Rolled the dice and performed without electronics tonight. Result: Really bad choice. They really exposed the lack of tuba projection throughout the show, and the lack of low end really hurt their balance.

Urk, that's unfortunate. I hope the judges are able to hear this. Electronics covering up weak spots in the corps is exactly the kind of thing I worry about.

• Like 1

Agree with Kam on everything...but there was no mention of the electronic clarinet? In Surf's' pit. Not sure what the instrument was...does anyone know?

I thought Surf used the EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument) to great effect. Although it's not quite like any "real" wind instrument, it provides some real opportunities for expressive playing in a solo role.

I enjoyed Surf''s use of it.