Cadets CYO show

You started off well here Brasso...

Probably because they don't know any better.

But instead of teaching the people who didn't know better...

Paul Cain is not simply " an announcer ". He is a former marcher, instructor, judge, and current Drum Corps HOF'er. He was on the instructional staff of the Crossmen when they were in the TOP 12. .....The ones that criticise him now on DCP for his " announcing style " will never see a Drum Corps Hall of Fame in their lifetimes. In comparison, they are simply anonymous nobodies, so I wouldn't pay no mind to them.

...you finished by insulting them. Not gonna get very far with that approach (IMO). Those who criticized Paul Cain probably didn't know any better but now they probably don't give a crap because you called them nobodies. Pretty mild by DCP standards I know but probably not the end result you were going for...

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

What a condescending post, especially coming from someone who preaches about respecting each other's opinions. :rolleyes:/>

Well, its not an iron clad rule. Like most things there are exceptions to every rule. When someone trashes someone on DCP that I personally know, then thats one of those exceptions for me.

Well, its not an iron clad rule. Like most things there are exceptions to every rule. When someone trashes someone on DCP that I personally know, then thats one of those exceptions for me.

In other words, the exception applies when YOU do it. Gotcha. :doh:

Anyway, I wasn't "trashing" the guy. I didn't like his announcing style. Can't help it that you took it personal.

You started off well here Brasso...

But instead of teaching the people who didn't know better...

...you finished by insulting them. Not gonna get very far with that approach (IMO). Those who criticized Paul Cain probably didn't know any better but now they probably don't give a crap because you called them nobodies. Pretty mild by DCP standards I know but probably not the end result you were going for...

Well, I see what you mean. Fair enough. For a frame of reference, and to to use the proverbial baseball analogy, did I hit the ball off the wall the first time up, but struck out the 2nd time at bat ? If so, I'm still hitting .500, arn't I ? Thats not such bad day at the plate is it ? ( assuming I don't go 0-3 the rest of the game ) :innocent:

Well, I see what you mean. Fair enough. For a frame of reference, and to to use the proverbial baseball analogy, did I hit the ball off the wall the first time up, but struck out the 2nd time at bat ? If so, I'm still hitting .500, arn't I ? Thats not such bad day at the plate is it ? ( assuming I don't go 0-3 the rest of the game ) innocent.gif

As long as you aren't Ryan Howard... you are all good in my book.

I know he announces at the two BAC shows in Massachusetts (CYO and East Coast Classic), Beanpot, Mission drums (DCA) and Bristol. My guess is he also does Connecticut Drums. These shows are known as much for their reunion like atmosphere as their slate of corps and he adds to the atmosphere. Carolina Crown always has fun with him (though not this year--they're out West) and Surf does as well. High school kids in the crowd are the ones yelling "you" the loudest which may be more of a joke than anything else, but it's fun. The venues where he announces are often sold out or pretty close to full capacity. While I do not think that people buy tickets just to hear Paul Cain announce a show, there will soon be posts about empty stadiums and with great corps competing, we might wonder if the folksy announcer who helps create an atmosphere at a well attended show demonstrates what works or does the matter of fact announcer a less than filled stadium demonstrate what works?

While this is anecdotal at best, parents of kids who see them in Boston love the Boston area shows: the announcer is a hoot, a priest saying a prayer at the beginning of CYO is touching, and the old time fans and alums who love to tell back in the day stories without ever insulting what happens on the fields today, all make it a great experience.

Everything anyone who "doesn't know any better" needs to know is in Tim K's post here on page 1. The people in the lawn chairs behind the packed full stands and in the end zone in Bristol will not be annoyed...I assure you.

In other words, the exception applies when YOU do it. Gotcha. :doh:/>

Anyway, I wasn't "trashing" the guy. I didn't like his announcing style. Can't help it that you took it personal.

I see. But I am " preaching " to you. No, I didn't take your reply as " personal ". If anything, you did, imo

Well, I see what you mean. Fair enough. For a frame of reference, and to to use the proverbial baseball analogy, did I hit the ball off the wall the first time up, but struck out the 2nd time at bat ? If so, I'm still hitting .500, arn't I ? Thats not such bad day at the plate is it ? ( assuming I don't go 0-3 the rest of the game ) innocent.gif

Like I said -- mild by DCP standards.

The only reason I posted was that you obviously have lots to share on the topic. Hate to see all that good stuff lost just because someone thought he wasn't the greatest announcer.

As long as you aren't Ryan Howard... you are all good in my book.

No. I am not Ryan Howard. I work for a living ( lol! ) :bigsmile:

I see. But I am " preaching " to you. No, I didn't take your reply as " personal ". If anything, you did, imo

Nope, never that. Trust me.