Collisions...

l was watching the finals dvd from 2010 and I noticed during Blue Stars show "Houdini" The battery judge was watching the battery and a trumpet player backed into him towards the end.....can you think of any more collisions...either between judges and the marchers or the marchers colliding with each other. I did notice the mello player recovered himself extremely quickly and moved on like nothing happened, great professionalism! I remember way back in high school one of my band directors told us if we hit a judge just recover extremely quickly and instead of it might be counted as a mistake, it would make the judges a bit more impressed knowing that they had interfered and we were so focused on what we were doing the collision didn't matter....is that somewhat true in DCI as well?Also, can you name any obvious mistakes the corps have done in finals? In 2010, there was a contra player that almost dropped his instrument on the left side of the field after the contra circle in the Madison Scouts show.Luckily he he caught it and recovered before it actually fell.

Edited by msumello

Ive seen some collisions at early shows between judges and corps or members in corps.

Its always funny when field judges look trapped and they run away because a form is closing in on them.

But last year the blue stars had drill that was very tight. First show there were a few collisions. I think a contra fell too. Scary stuff.

• Like 1

The most memorable one I can think of was Magic 2002 in the intro. A guard member dropped a rifle, and rather than move the drum he was assigned to on the field, he went for the dropped rifle first, leaving a tenor player to blindly back up into the drum that he assumed had been moved by the guard member.

Poor guy spent quite a while getting himself back together, and was welcomed back by cheers from the entire audience.

• Like 1

In 2009 Blue Knights had the show Shiver: A Winter in Colorado. On the dvd of there finals performance about 20 seconds or more into the show two members fell during their complicated drill and fell down and recovered quickly......I always wondered if it was an accident caused by the drill or whether it was planned to seem as if they slipped and fell on ice, because further in the show the members act like they are sliding on ice. Was it a mistake or a staged fall for their show?

There was a Corp last year (who - I can't recall) that had several of their contras collide. I did not witness it but read about it. We did see the banged up bells at Michigan City, again, last year.

I was at Blue Stars' rehearsal site in Bloomington (the old Star of Indiana complex) in 2008 when they added the bicycle at the end of the show. Someone forgot to tell the bass drum line, which was backing up at the time. One of the bass drummers went head over heels over the bicycle. I bet they were really overly-conscious of where the bicycle was for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

If you have FN.. check out Crossmen 08 San Antonio night show (think it might be on you tube somewhere, too). I had a collision with the drum judge. It's near the end right after the final big "Jupiter" statement.

I was doing I think a 3.5 to 5 out of a halt straight across. I was mid air... we never even saw each other. I bounced off of him mid air... and rolled almost to my dot. Was a little out of it, but got back in there as soon as I figured out what set we were on. Of course they were six count sets at a fast tempo.. people zooming around me.

Judge found the staff after the show.. was really apologetic... wanted to make sure I was okay. I wanted to be sure he was okay! It was a pretty hard collision.

• Like 5

l was watching the finals dvd from 2010 and I noticed during Blue Stars show "Houdini" The battery judge was watching the battery and a mello player backed into him towards the end.....can you think of any more collisions...either between judges and the marchers or the marchers colliding with each other. I did notice the mello player recovered himself extremely quickly and moved on like nothing happened, great professionalism! I remember way back in high school one of my band directors told us if we hit a judge just recover extremely quickly and instead of it might be counted as a mistake, it would make the judges a bit more impressed knowing that they had interfered and we were so focused on what we were doing the collision didn't matter....is that somewhat true in DCI as well?

That would be me, and I was playing trumpet. But nonetheless, it scared the crap out of me when I had hit him.

A better video of that collision:

Around 50 seconds is where the collision occurs.

Edited by elnino2k10
  • Like 2

Suncoast 88, near the end, the contras fold up into two columns, right in front of the drumline. At either semis of finals we trapped the drum judge. I don't remember if we actually hit him, but we got to listen to the tape at some point and you hear this foghorn sound get louder and louder.

Suncoast 89, at (I think) DCE Championships in Morgantown, WV. The hornline is rotating a parallelogram in front of the drum line during Beach Frolic. The center snare's harness breaks, a literal drum roll ensues, and his snare ends up under my feet as I am doing a backwards, fast-motion slide with my contra. I fall over it, see my horn literally bounce off the turf, and see my mouthpiece fall out and into the form. Amazingly, I was able to grab the horn AND mouthpiece and recover. Unfortunately, the center snare was out for the rest of the show (the drum judge grabbed his snare and he marched off to the front sideline). Not a lot of fun, as I aggravated a pulled ligament in my knee and missed a couple shows, but I finished THAT show. Marching up the hill into the tunnel after the show was below average though.

At DATR in '99 the Cadets had a huge pile up as a growing square wound around. This was right at the beginning of the show. One member went down then it was the domino effect that was pretty dramatic, if my memory serves me well. They recovered but I remember the crowd gasping. I'd never seen anything like it.

l was watching the finals dvd from 2010 and I noticed during Blue Stars show "Houdini" The battery judge was watching the battery and a mello player backed into him towards the end.....can you think of any more collisions...either between judges and the marchers or the marchers colliding with each other. I did notice the mello player recovered himself extremely quickly and moved on like nothing happened, great professionalism! I remember way back in high school one of my band directors told us if we hit a judge just recover extremely quickly and instead of it might be counted as a mistake, it would make the judges a bit more impressed knowing that they had interfered and we were so focused on what we were doing the collision didn't matter....is that somewhat true in DCI as well?