Collisions...

Lord.... Just a little more faith in humanity gone.

• Like 1

AS far out to the right as they were, most people didn't realize what had happened until this kind of buzz went through the crowd it was pretty unbelievable and just glad there were no bad injuries at that one - we have had a lot of injuries over the years and some not even due to collisions.

Sorry - was not aware that there was an injury to one of the players on the z pull since they all got up, sorry to hear he missed the rest of the season.

I may be thinking of a different Cadets collision in Wisconsin in which a brass member broke his leg. As I think about it, I don't know that it was 1984... it may have come later in the 1980s. Maybe somebody else will remember the details better. The hornline was moving backwards at the time which is why there was a multimarcher pileup.

Re the 84 Whitewater Wipeout....the sop who tripped and started it did not...repeat...did NOT break a leg, nor did he miss the rest of the season (we'd heard the same thing).

He got a bad sprain, missed a couple of shows, then finished the season....no holes in the line at finals.

84Cadet can confirm this, as he was in the plate line.

Re the perfect scores after the fall...they got one perfect subcaption (Ensemble vizh). none of the other subcaps was close to a perfect score.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19840803dcimidwestfinals.htm

As someone else said....the score was not due to being after the gun...there was no gun starting in 84 -- all performances were judged to the end.

They DID show .1 in penalties...might've been from the fall, but nothing says what it was.

What I DON'T know is how the ensemble judge missed so many people falling in the front arc of the Z Pull, as the guys who tripped were going backwards.

Edited by 84BDsop

Re the 84 Whitewater Wipeout....the sop who tripped and started it did not...repeat...did NOT break a leg, nor did he miss the rest of the season (we'd heard the same thing).

He got a bad sprain, missed a couple of shows, then finished the season....no holes in the line at finals.

84Cadet can confirm this, as he was in the plate line.

I don't doubt you're right, but is it possible I got this from the Drum Corps World article at the time…. or a later DCW article on collisions? Of course they may have had the facts wrong too, but I think that's where that came from. Anyway I appreciate the correction. I'll try to remember to stop spreading that overly dramatic rumor.

Edited by Peel Paint

That is just awful and sick. Hope those buglers recover soon.

That is just awful and sick. Hope those buglers recover soon.

I should hope so, since the article is from 2001...

Note that the corps they are talking about is Capital Regiment...

:huh2:

• Like 5

I should hope so, since the article is from 2001...

Note that the corps they are talking about is Capital Regiment...

huh2.gif

yea.......i noticed the timeline after I posted the comment...sigh...

There was a Corp last year (who - I can't recall) that had several of their contras collide. I did not witness it but read about it. We did see the banged up bells at Michigan City, again, last year.

It was likely the Blue Stars. There were a few instances of that happening last year thanks to blind turn follow the leader drill at 190+ bpm and 6-to-5 marching, and it hit its worst at Madison I believe when 3 of our guys hit the dirt from the set, recoveries varied. Incidentally, I think a guard member at the same show in the corps was hurt in a separate incident.

Ah, the greatest variability in a drum corps practice, the football teams that inevitably show up. Sometimes they'll be respectful and occasionally even pretty impressed with what us invaders of their turf are doing, other times you have this situation.