Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

I liked the Cadets 2007 show, after getting used to the presence of the voices, for many reasons. I also really like Crown's 2013 show again for many reasons. However, the first time I heard Crown 2013 it reminded me of the 2007 Cadets show in the tone of the narrator's voice and probably because of what is being said (the love story).

A lot of the vocals present in drum corps over the last few years have seemed to be included 'just because they can' vs. it enhancing the overall product. Crown's inclusion this year does the latter -- enhances their overall show. It does not feel contrived to me.

• Like 1

I liked the Cadets 2007 show, after getting used to the presence of the voices, for many reasons. I also really like Crown's 2013 show again for many reasons. However, the first time I heard Crown 2013 it reminded me of the 2007 Cadets show in the tone of the narrator's voice and probably because of what is being said (the love story).

A lot of the vocals present in drum corps over the last few years have seemed to be included 'just because they can' vs. it enhancing the overall product. Crown's inclusion this year does the latter -- enhances their overall show. It does not feel contrived to me.

That's all I've been trying say. Thanks!

The first years of amplification were tragic.

It makes me cringe to even think about those shows . . .especially after the great opener Crown had in 2004. I'm glad BAC decided to veer far, far away from that show in the following years.

Have you been to WGI that past few years? Sequential phrases have become the standard. Sequentials can be great as long as they lead to a payoff at the end.

Sure... But Crown still has a few too many. It's one effect among many possible effects; quit overusing it.

The finale was HORRIBLE. A great opportunity to showcase a field full of drum corps and we get THAT? :blink:/> IS there ANYBODY who liked it? Now I know what the noose in the early high cam reflection was really for!

judging from the amount of "likes" a comment trashing the finale on the DCI facebook page had, I would say that not many people liked it.

Sure... But Crown still has a few too many. It's one effect among many possible effects; quit overusing it.

Hmm.. A show with lots of sequential counting lending itself to sequentials....impossible you say?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

This is what I mean about the "ready, fire....aim!" blink.gif/> thinking on DCP. Who said anything about hate....you guys are ridiculous with this stuff. Calm down.

Sorry, I don't attach the same weight to the word "hate" as most people seem to. Replace all instances of "hate" with "dislike". My point is that you are ascribing our tastes in the use of certain elements to which corps is using them and that's not only wrong, but it's unfair.

Go ahead and critique...it's what happens here. My comment was only suggesting that many folks this season (and I predicted it would happen after my first viewing of CC) are going to be torn due to their previous positions on avante gard productions and use of mics and how they ripped BD, Cadets, et al.....but now they have to apply that same logic to their favorite..............................oops!

Except that Crown itself has used narration twice prior to this year. Once well (2007) and once incredibly poorly (2004), so your point here is completely bogus. You are reaching for motives where none exist. If I or anyone else couldn't stand Cadets 07/08 or the recorded nonsense from BD 2012, that has nothing to do with how well Crown handles voice in its program in 2013. I was totally prepared to be sickly disappointed in Crown's show this year, but they made the narration work where others have failed (including themselves).

As for "avant garde", Crown's show is still totally geared towards providing a ton of thrilling drum corps moments, just like Cadets and Vanguard and Madison and Spirit and Troopers and Boston and so many others do every year. Asymmetrical purple uniforms and the use of a 40-year-old minimalist opera as source material does not an avant garde show make.

I'm NOT a critic....just amused at those that are "selective" in their criticism....believe it or not....it happens on here.

It does, but only with the random trolls. You're accusing a ton of regulars who are absolutely being fair-minded in their assessments of blatant bias.

• Like 1