Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

Good Lord, that vocal thing at the end of the show . . .just, no, DCI. Stop. You have 250+ brass players out there, and you chose that to end your show. Turrible. Just turrible. No knock on the talent of the two up front, but choosing that kind of production is wasting some good brass lines as backup. :tongue:

Anyhoo, Cadets have some time to do some visual rewrites; still picking them to win it. They'll catch BD at the next regional or so, although, if BD can really clean that monster, they'll cakewalk at Finals. I think this show might be one of those "if only we had another week after Finals" ones right now.

Crown (sans narration) is pretty great, SCV is nice but the arrangements and show pacing leave me a bit flat, and I honestly started to like Phantom and the back half of the Cavaliers show a bit more this time around. Still trying to get into 'Coats. . . but the "Americana" stuff always feels a bit cloying to me, no matter who does it.

My thoughts on the evening...

The brick oven pizza was excellent, but the icing on the cake was the $3 cans of Bud heavy. How can you beat that?

The place was cash only, which is pretty annoying, but hipster joints are like that I guess.

Things really picked up afterwards when we changed locations and started downing whiskey.

I aged out...I was at a bar. :cool:

Go Cadets.

• Like 2

BD - tons of changes to add a lot more musical interest to the show. The changes work well and I'm sure they still have more to add. By far the dirtiest performance in the top 4 so Cadets and Crown should take notice. With a few more tweaks and some serious cleaning BD could be unstoppable.

SCV - connect the threads and keep tweaking the effect and story to maximize effect. The crowd is already lapping it up! Clean up the brass and the visual performance issues and the corps above could have something to worry about.

Cadets - Changes to the show have made it so much more readable from a musical point of view. Medea/Adagio mashup I've gone from hating in the first week to actually feeling it last night. Outstanding performance level in all captions, but overall visual effect is lagging. Lack of (Cadet type demand) in portions of the show and those towers are killing them. Drill rewrites will be easy to address, what to do about those towers....

Crown - most polished, detailed, and clean of all the top 4 and deserved that spread last night. Hearing a new ending is on tap which is good because that is just not working right now. Musically it is fine, but just stagnates visually compared to the rest of the show. Brass is much more dynamic now versus the first couple weeks when everything was just FFF...was actually getting exhausting listening too them. Update the ending, cross all the t's and dot all the i's, and hope that's enough to stay ahead of three really hungry corps beneath you. Just not quite as much room for growth as the three other corps, but this is a a good thing since the staff got it right from the beginning and they'll have the most time to clean.

Good Lord, that vocal thing at the end of the show . . .just, no, DCI. Stop. You have 250+ brass players out there, and you chose that to end your show. Turrible. Just turrible. No knock on the talent of the two up front, but choosing that kind of production is wasting some good brass lines as backup. :tongue:/>

Anyhoo, Cadets have some time to do some visual rewrites; still picking them to win it. They'll catch BD at the next regional or so, although, if BD can really clean that monster, they'll cakewalk at Finals. I think this show might be one of those "if only we had another week after Finals" ones right now.

Crown (sans narration) is pretty great, SCV is nice but the arrangements and show pacing leave me a bit flat, and I honestly started to like Phantom and the back half of the Cavaliers show a bit more this time around. Still trying to get into 'Coats. . . but the "Americana" stuff always feels a bit cloying to me, no matter who does it.

I agree with you right now, this basically sums it up:

1) Does Crown have enough to stay ahead?

2) Cadets have the performers but the show design is playing catch up. Medea needs a loud angry moment, I don't care if they rip off Star...this show needs a moment like that. And burn the towers.

3) BD cleans and no one is touching them!!! Can they clean it?

4) SCV is already a couple tweaks away from being a GE dynamo. If brass and visual performance cleans up...look out

Wow is this going to be fun to see play out!

There is a part in BD's show near the end that cracks me up (I mean this in a complimentary way).

There are assorted circles of horns across the field and in the center of each one is a guard member doing what looks like a ritual/voodoo dance. The dance is hysterical and so unique.

This is what I love about BD's guard!