Will SCV overtake BD this season?

Interesting take, hrnguy. Not sure I buy this "BD plays to the sheets/judges" urban legend. I don't think BD staff gives a flyer what the sheets say. In fact, I'd posit that this years show almost gets so far away from the sheets/system that they might have "jumped the shark".

:blink: :blink:

First of all, EVERY corps designs to the sheets: this is a competitive activity, first and foremost. While some corps seemingly design shows to maximize crowd appeal more than other shows, even those crowd-friendly shows design to the sheets.

Second, I think it is obvious that Blue Devils absolutely design EVERYTHING to maximize the sheets: a cursory look at their placements over the years should back up that claim.

I haven't seen either show in person yet but have been avidly reading the progression of the recaps.

Will Santa Clara eventually overcome the 2013 Blue Devils? When will this occur? How far back did it last occur?

Well, since I want this to happen in the worst way, no. No way. I never get ANYTHING I want. Hrmph.

• Like 2

I was able to see both corps perform live twice this weekend and even watched the one corps perform with the director of the other corps at my elbow. We had an interesting "chat." afterward.

Two observations I am pondering:

a) BD is marching several, maybe even a half dozen holes due to injuries. They are not closing the holes thus far in the drill and the recovery of movement to those holes is not consistent. Yet the judges are overlooking those struggles in the scoring it seems. How long will these holes persist, their influence continue to waffle the drill, and the judges play a blind eye?

b) SCV is already becoming a crowd favorite with a program which seems to write the textbook on staging and showcasing. Realistically, how much more can be "added" to the content to boost them from fourth ranking. Yes, there may be some nice audience tweeks such as "the Viper," "the headchopper," the shouting of "Les Vanguard!", etc. but what can be done further to boost an already successful GE show?

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1

I haven't seen either show in person yet but have been avidly reading the progression of the recaps.

Will Santa Clara eventually overcome the 2013 Blue Devils? When will this occur? How far back did it last occur?

No.

b) SCV is already becoming a crowd favorite with a program which seems to write the textbook on staging and showcasing. Realistically, how much more can be "added" to the content to boost them from fourth ranking. Yes, there may be some nice audience tweeks such as "the Viper," "the headchopper," the shouting of "Les Vanguard!", etc. but what can be done further to boost an already successful GE show?

Perform better, and I say that with all seriousness and not snark. I fully expect their performance level to rise as the season goes on, like it normally does, but a surge in excellence in one or two specific captions could really make things interesting in terms of possibly knocking one of those top 3 corps out, especially if that excellence begins to bleed into the other sheets as it often does. Stranger things have happened in the past.

Perform better, and I say that with all seriousness and not snark. I fully expect their performance level to rise as the season goes on, like it normally does, but a surge in excellence in one or two specific captions could really make things interesting in terms of possibly knocking one of those top 3 corps out, especially if that excellence begins to bleed into the other sheets as it often does. Stranger things have happened in the past.

1981 comes to my mind .