Will SCV overtake BD this season?

I watched both groups last night in Omaha. I was also able to watch SCV in their afternoon block and caught a run through of BD. Both groups are doing excellent work on the field. SCV is probably my favorite show this season. I enjoyed BD for the first couple minutes of the show but then they lost me. I don't see SCV overtaking BD this season. The gap is too big. BD's show plays to the judges sheets more than SCV. I was telling my friends that SCV has more of a classic show and BD is cutting edge. I think if we were in the 90's, then SCV would be gunning for gold.

Interesting take, hrnguy. Not sure I buy this "BD plays to the sheets/judges" urban legend. I don't think BD staff gives a flyer what the sheets say. In fact, I'd posit that this years show almost gets so far away from the sheets/system that they might have "jumped the shark". I have faith that their staff will circle the wagons and end up with a product that balances the visionary and "out there" concept with ROS and experimental jazz, with a bit of crowd/judge/sheets appeal. If not, might be a rough go of it. The fact that they're neck and neck with Crown (ignore tonight's numbers, not reality) with a show that still needs a lot of work speaks volumes to the talent of the kids and staff. I was a bit surprised that Cadets didn't score better tonight. Let's just say that we will likely see a little jostling of position/scores in Minneapolis.

When was the last time BD didn't medal? I can't remember a time since the early-mid 90's. Anybody?

2005. Yowza

Interesting take, hrnguy. Not sure I buy this "BD plays to the sheets/judges" urban legend. I don't think BD staff gives a flyer what the sheets say. In fact, I'd posit that this years show almost gets so far away from the sheets/system that they might have "jumped the shark". I have faith that their staff will circle the wagons and end up with a product that balances the visionary and "out there" concept with ROS and experimental jazz, with a bit of crowd/judge/sheets appeal. If not, might be a rough go of it. The fact that they're neck and neck with Crown (ignore tonight's numbers, not reality) with a show that still needs a lot of work speaks volumes to the talent of the kids and staff. I was a bit surprised that Cadets didn't score better tonight. Let's just say that we will likely see a little jostling of position/scores in Minneapolis.

:blink: You're kidding right? BD doesn't play to the sheets but just happens to score high?

SCV has been rehearsing only the last few days, so I'm anxious to see what's new

• Like 2

Are you serious?

The strange thing about the Blue Devils....while everyone else is busy getting tighter and cleaner.....so are they!

• Like 1

I would say that all corps design with the sheets in mind. Drum corps is a competitive activity. so if you want to get a high score you have to know what the judges are looking for, right?

I think it is possible for SCV to overtake BD this year. I don't see it happening, because I believe BD has a lot more potential in their show, but I also felt that BD had the best designed show in 2008, but Phantom grabbed the momentum and had that special something (performance) that allowed them to catch and then overtake what I felt was a better designed show (BD), although certainly less emotional.

• Like 2

Nope. The top 3 is practically set and Vanguard is holding a solid 4th. No way.

Edited by merqurycitymeltdown
  • Like 1

When was the last time BD didn't medal? I can't remember a time since the early-mid 90's. Anybody?

Since 1975, the Blue Devils have medaled 31 out of the last 38 years ( and they'll do so once again this season ). In the 7 seasons they did not medal, 6 of those 7 years they just missed medaling, coming in 4th. The only time the Blue Devils finished out of the Top 4 was just one year, and that was 5th in 1991. The Blue Devils have failed to medal in the last 20 years just once ( 2005). And with the current judging system, much fewer Corps, and the unrestricted flow of talent from Corps to Corps, I suspect that we will not see the Blue Devils fail to medal during the next 20 years.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1