Filling a spot at the last minute

I came in to fill a hole with Colts the last 3 weeks of the '95 season. I marched my first COMPLETE show in one week, drill and music. Fortunately I still knew a good number of the members from the previous season and all of the staff, so I had plenty of help. I may have been a bit ahead of the curve with the help I had, so perhaps a week is a bit ambitious, but it can be done.

They'd prefer to have him marching than playing at this point anyway. He has time to learn the music in the meantime.

That's very impressive. You must have had a great deal of experience or you're a very good student..

Next update from my euph playing son, 4th-year OC vet, filling in a spot. Yesterday was his first time on field for music or drill. He just texted this: "I'm incredibly sore. I know about 1/4 of the show. My chops are actually doing fine, surprisingly."

I assume when he says 1/4 of the show he is referring to music and drill, but not sure. Not bad for a day's work!

So proud of him! Still love hearing from others of you who filled last minute holes. It's rather a masochistic choice but it sure gives you a story to tell your grandchildren!:worthy:/>

Another spot was filled when the instructors pitched in and footed the whole bill. See what I mean?

While an awesome gesture, that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I absolutely think that corps should charge members (at a discounted rate) to fill spots. Just because you come in later in the season doesn't mean you get a free ride... you're a member and subject to the same treatment as the others who paid to be. This is a business, after all.

But here's the thing that confuses me about the quote above: that particular spot on the field has already been paid for.

Aside from the SPECIFIC things that the new member needs (shoes, gloves, uniform stuff, etc.), what new costs is that member adding to the operational aspect of the drum corps by filling the spot that has supposedly already been paid for? They will eat meals that would have been prepared for the original member, they will travel in the bus seat previously occupied by the original member, they will receive instruction just as the original member would have... Aside from there being a new member in that particular spot, from a continuity standpoint it's essentially the same member, and assuming the corps did not refund that member any money (which I have NEVER heard of), that spot has been paid for.

So with that I'll ask...if they wanted that member so badly and that person couldn't fund their tour, why would the burden fall on the instructors? I'm not trying to be a ######, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here...

In the case of my son, he wasn't filling a spot that someone vacated, rather a spot that was never filled to begin with so paying tuition is absolutely fair. As for filling in for a member who has already paid full tuition... seems to me... that is a different thing. But I don't propose to know ANYTHING about running a drum corps. I have always felt the tuition is worth it. It's like a sort of university really. Drum Corps University.

Everything I needed to know about life I learned in drum corps? Oh jeez... that's a whole nuther thread...

While an awesome gesture, that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I absolutely think that corps should charge members (at a discounted rate) to fill spots. Just because you come in later in the season doesn't mean you get a free ride... you're a member and subject to the same treatment as the others who paid to be. This is a business, after all.

But here's the thing that confuses me about the quote above: that particular spot on the field has already been paid for.

Aside from the SPECIFIC things that the new member needs (shoes, gloves, uniform stuff, etc.), what new costs is that member adding to the operational aspect of the drum corps by filling the spot that has supposedly already been paid for? They will eat meals that would have been prepared for the original member, they will travel in the bus seat previously occupied by the original member, they will receive instruction just as the original member would have... Aside from there being a new member in that particular spot, from a continuity standpoint it's essentially the same member, and assuming the corps did not refund that member any money (which I have NEVER heard of), that spot has been paid for.

So with that I'll ask...if they wanted that member so badly and that person couldn't fund their tour, why would the burden fall on the instructors? I'm not trying to be a ######, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here...

[/quote

only a partial reply to what you question:

Most corps have stipulated windows about returning tour fees to those injured or hit with a family tragedy causing the member to return home and not complete tour. Depending on tour, corps, time, and cir cumstance this can be full, partial, or no returned moneys. Corps must still make it's bottom line net goal to pay the bills for tour. Where the money comes from is not necessarily the question. Very few corps will subsidize 100 per cent. In this case, without embarassing the marcher, the talent was phenomenal, the family circumstances were extremely taxed and the person was obviously doing all that the person was able. The instructors showed not only a generous heart, but a commitment to the corps and to the growth of the individual by giving that person the posibility of the drum corps tour experience. In this case, it wasn't so much an accountant's business forumula but an educator's belief in the student and in the process.

I don't know what corps you have been associated with but most of the many I have either taught or volunteered with had a sliding scale about returning tour fees paid when injury or family tragedy caused the member to return home. For them, drum corps was more than a business.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

I missed all of spring training my age out season with Crown in '96. I learned the entire drill in 2 days and marched the preview show. It took a lot longer to get the music down.

It would be a lot harder to jump in with a corps these days due to having to learn body movement along with the drill.

I watched last night's run through and my son, the fill in guy, was on the sidelines until the midway through the closer, when he jumped in and marched until the last note. I don't know if he was playing. There was also a trumpeter next to him on the sidelines who knew more of the show, marked time, played, did some of the choreography and jumped in more times. It's interesting to see the process of breaking someone in at this point.

Edited by luv4corps

only a partial reply to what you question:

Most corps have stipulated windows about returning tour fees to those injured or hit with a family tragedy causing the member to return home and not complete tour. Depending on tour, corps, time, and cir cumstance this can be full, partial, or no returned moneys. Corps must still make it's bottom line net goal to pay the bills for tour. Where the money comes from is not necessarily the question. Very few corps will subsidize 100 per cent. In this case, without embarassing the marcher, the talent was phenomenal, the family circumstances were extremely taxed and the person was obviously doing all that the person was able. The instructors showed not only a generous heart, but a commitment to the corps and to the growth of the individual by giving that person the posibility of the drum corps tour experience. In this case, it wasn't so much an accountant's business forumula but an educator's belief in the student and in the process.

I don't know what corps you have been associated with but most of the many I have either taught or volunteered with had a sliding scale about returning tour fees paid when injury or family tragedy caused the member to return home. For them, drum corps was more than a business.

Understood. I guess I just haven't heard of situations where members have been refunded a portion of their dues. In that regard, what an incredibly selfless act on behalf of those staff members, both for the entire corps and the new member.

I don't know if others are as fascinated with this topic as I am but I like to report how my son is integrating into the OC show after starting just last Wednesday. Every night the run-throughs are posted on a closed parent facebook group. He says he's teaching himself the show. And sadly, the euph staff member he knows well, as well as the brass caption supe who my son admires a lot, aren't going on tour.

So this is what it looks like: He gets in for awhile, gets out, back in, etc. Each night he knows more of the show naturally. Sometimes when he gets out he has to run around the perimeter of the field to hit his dot somewhere way on the opposite side. I know I should be watching the whole corps, but I just watch him sprinting to his place, march for a bit, and then get out, back in, etc.

During a standstill performance this evening, I noticed his arms were not steady holding up the euph... they'd be in proper position then he'd lift them high for awhile, then lower them, back and forth like that. I am assuming it has to do with the incredible soreness I know he's feeling. He certainly was the ONLY euph player with those wobbly arms. Maybe another euph player can speak to that? I hope I explained it ok.

Tomorrow is the big send off gala before the entourage rolls en route to San Antonio. He says depending on how it goes tomorrow, he might march the show for the gala.

All I can say is, OC has a beautiful show this year. You all are in for a treat. I know no one has seen it as they haven't competed since July 2 but they're marching the full closer now and it's getting better every day. No matter where they finish in Indy, they represent the NW with class!

During a standstill performance this evening, I noticed his arms were not steady holding up the euph... they'd be in proper position then he'd lift them high for awhile, then lower them, back and forth like that. I am assuming it has to do with the incredible soreness I know he's feeling. He certainly was the ONLY euph player with those wobbly arms. Maybe another euph player can speak to that? I hope I explained it ok.

Yes, it happens to every euph player when they're not used to carrying the horn. It's awkward and heavy, so it takes time to get used to. Not sure I agree with moving the arms, most staff members I've talked to would rather watch you shake a bit then draw attention to yourself by moving. But he'll build endurance in his shoulders and back to carry the horn. As long as he keeps his shoulders down, and his back straight, he'll pick it up in a few days of rehearsals. After awhile, the muscles adapt, and you can't even feel the horn anymore.