Folded corps that would be relevant

My first thought about Star staying is that we don't see Carolina Crown experience the same growth they've had. I've been informed by a Crown alumnus that they regularly had Star alumni come up to them during the season to say they felt Crown was the "spiritual successor" to Star. Another direct consequence of Star remaining in DCI competition is that Blast! would not have formed. Though this doesn't immediately affect DCI results, I've met a number of people who were inspired by that production to go march drum corps. While I realize that's a small impact, it brings to mind the idea that you never really know how such a significant change in the drum corps landscape (corps like Star, Suncoast, 2-7, etc. remaining active) would affect the visibility/growth in certain areas.

I like OrlandoContraAlum's points about the leadership from Suncoast going other places and affecting the futures of those corps. Though I'm less versed the specific instructors, I'm sure the same holds true for some of those other strong contenders from the 80s and 90s who never saw drum corps in the new millenium.

Very good point. I know that a LOT of the Bridgemen's brain trust went a bit west to Star in 85. So, if Bridgemen doesn't fold, does Star actually become a thing?

• Like 2

Not a direct reincarnation of Suncoast but even marching with Magic of Orlando in '99 you could still notice the influence from Suncoast. Especially from the staff involved periodically and there were still even old Suncoast bugles in the line that year (yikes).

Well, I'll answer this a bit differently.

For starters I always thought that corps of our past folded for reasons mostly related to economic changes that were beyond their control and scope. Insurance, cost of travel, gas, busing, food, and school housing all vastly escalated and most of these orgs were not prepared for such quick changes. The changes in the law also crippled a lot of units. Everything from laws about insurance while on the road, CDLs needed for drivers of trucks and other large vehicles (many corps were getting around by having staff drive the buses), and even laws on fund raising, bingo, etc. All of this had a big impact on some of our favorites of the past.

The corps that I thought could still survive to this day, and some that I think should still be around, are listed below:

1. Star of Indiana - I know why they left, loved Blast! and their Brass Theater stuff, but they could have kept a presence in the drum corps activity as well. Bloomington is a hotbed for great musicians in a state that loves marching band. Still shocked to this day that they have not come back.

2. The 27th Lancers - It shocked me then, and still to this day, that they died after 1985. There was likely no way all the Boston area corps would have made it. Back in the day there were a lot. Even in the early 1980s you had 27th Lancers, North Star, Boston Crusaders, and the Defenders. All 4 were potential top 25 to 30 corps on any given year. But 27th Lancers always seemed to be the most popular (at least in the 70s and 80s) and in a city that big it was shocking that they couldn't withstand the changes in the economic climate. Thankfully Boston Crusaders have made it, and I believe East Coast Jazz is still doing well (not sure).

3. Magic of Orlando - This one is also surprising to me. I understood when Suncoast Sound didn't pan out. Florida was a tough place to build a corps. Perhaps the students down there were just not that interested, maybe not as many bands competed, and maybe the overall interest simply wasn't there for proper funding. But with the birth of Magic of Orlando I thought Orlando is a community with better support for the arts, plenty of corporate sponsorship (or the potential for it), plenty of performance opportunities, facilities, and the ability to attract good talent. Lots of talented musicians in the area, composers and arrangers, marketing opportunities, etc.; yet for some reason they struggled in Orlando as well. Not saying I could have done it, just saying that it shocked me that a large metro area with money, arts, culture, corporations and popular marketing opps, musical talent, and much more, and yet they struggled to field a drum corps on many years and now we don't have them.

Some more later...

I'm not sure I'd put Crown in the same category as Star, with no disrespect to either corps. For one thing, Crown started from humbler beginnings, worked its way up, and spent years developing its brand. Star came on the scene with the goal of winning. Once it won, there was nothing left. Star did bring a fresh approach and breathed some life into the activity when one corps was disappearing after another, and they had some great shows, but as I look back now it seems as if they had a plan for success, but not one for longevity. Crown is far more of a long term corps.

Regarding 27th and I suppose Bridgemen: if they could have held on financially, they probably would have been competitive today. While we see them as an iconic example of their day, both were innovative and 27th was beginning to change its style. As a matter of fact, in 27th's last competitive year, they probably should have made finals and when you consider how close they were to Troopers in prelims, the late season bus troubles they had that kept them from rehearsing may have been the culprit. We probably would not have seen the wheel or would not have been serenaded with "Crown Imperial" and "Danny Boy," even though I'd consider it to be Heaven. They'd probably be similar in style and popularity to Madison, BAC, and Troopers.

I don't think too many, if any corps stopped competing because their style was no longer popular with judges, most folded due to economics and recruitment difficulties.

• Like 1

Well, I'll answer this a bit differently.

2. The 27th Lancers - It shocked me then, and still to this day, that they died after 1985. There was likely no way all the Boston area corps would have made it. Back in the day there were a lot. Even in the early 1980s you had 27th Lancers, North Star, Boston Crusaders, and the Defenders. All 4 were potential top 25 to 30 corps on any given year. But 27th Lancers always seemed to be the most popular (at least in the 70s and 80s) and in a city that big it was shocking that they couldn't withstand the changes in the economic climate. Thankfully Boston Crusaders have made it, and I believe East Coast Jazz is still doing well (not sure).

Defenders and North Star stopped competing after 1982. Both had good local representation and I think the interest dried up. There were financial issues as well. 27th stopped competing after 1986. Promised funding was never received and recruitment became more challenging after Garfield won three titles. More and more recruits fro northeast corps came from the south, and in winter months the trip up 95 is much shorter in lousy weather if the final destination is New Jersey. Nationally, 27th was possibly the most popular corps from Massachusetts, though the current BAC is loved too, however when 27th, BAC, and North Star competed against each other, local fans could be pretty tough on them, just as they can be with the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins. Defenders seemed to get a free ride as far as that was concerned. However, while BAC has always boasted about how tough they are, and tough can be an understatement, I think they learned that if they wanted to succeed, nothing could be taken for granted, because in the mid to late 80's, we began to see the infancy of the BAC we see today.

East Coast Jazz has not competed since 2006, but I heard some people talking about East Coast Jazz at Beanpot last week, and there was some talk about attempts at reviving it. Now Tom Chopelas was in the vicinity and heard the same conversation, who knows?

• Like 1

A little off topic, but why did Star fold? It wasn't just to show they could win is it? To me, the purpose of marching is not winning, rather all the intangibles that come along with this activity.

Thanks for the clarification on years. And yes, Boston was an interesting region for drum corps back in the days. I really liked all of those corps, 27th Lancers were my favs, but North Star was fun, BAC in the early 80s was not yet what they are today (or what they were in days before that), and I got to see the Defenders several times. You're right, it wasn't until the late 80s that we see the beginnings of the current BAC.

A little off topic, but why did Star fold? It wasn't just to show they could win is it? To me, the purpose of marching is not winning, rather all the intangibles that come along with this activity.

If you ask Star, they wanted a new venture and the opportunity to perform with ensembles like Canadian Brass. Common theory is they were upset about being second in 1993. Interestingly, many believe that is one of the most innovative shows of all time.

Edited by Tim K

I thought Carolina Crown = Star of Indiana :) Sort of like the Baltimore Ravens = Cleveland Browns....they just relocated.

I really don't the see the analogy that Crown of today is the past's Star of Indiana.

If we accept the repeated DCP observations that Star was villified ( overstated, but lets accept this observation for the sake of discussion )when has Carolina Crown been so " villified ", or somehow " unappreciated " by fans ? I don't see much vilification of Carolina Crown at all. Their history has beem one of a crowd pleasing Corps... even this year, most audiences like the Crown show. If anything, it is the Blue Devils of the last couple of seasons that is most analogous to Star of Indiana, imo. BD has gone from a predominently audience friendly show Corps to a Corps now known for less than favorable audience receptions of late. Star of Indiana, similarly, had shows that most national fans enjoyed from the late 80's, early 90's, but ( similar to BD of late ) Star's last season show was not as fan friendly. If anything then, it is BD that is closer to Star than Crown is to Star. Thats how I see it anyway, but others are certainly entitled to see it differently too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1