Eustace Tilley does drum corps . . .

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2013/07/ligeti-at-the-50-yard-line.html

(via SCV's Facebook)

. . .not a long piece, and definitely focusing on the more avant-garde stuff of the past few years. Might be fun to get his take on the arguments of art v. entertainment we seasonally churn out here and to have someone a bit more objective look at the activity as a whole.

Hopefully he ends up revisiting this around Finals . . .

Interesting that the links provided in the article are not links to DCI sites ...

In fact the link to Carollina Crown is a video from an actual DCI produced event by a fan in the stands ... oops.

I wonder how long before DCI claims ownership of that video from Little Rock?

• Like 1

Nice to see 2011 Vanguard getting some appreciation (musically the show was undervalued at the time, imho).

Yep, I love everything about 2011 Vanguard except the volume of their brass. They just never could get loud that year. But in every other respect, it was a genius show.

So cool to see that Alex Ross is a fan of drum corps! If you have not read The Rest is Noise or Listen to This, do yourself a favor and pick them up now. Especially The Rest is Noise. Coincidentally, I was on tour the first time I read it, and it ignited a love for music history that has stayed with me since then.

• Like 1

If you have not read The Rest is Noise or Listen to This, do yourself a favor and pick them up now.

Seconded.

I have a weak spot for the New Yorker, anyway . . .aside from Ross' stuff, it's how I picked up on Susan Orlean and David Rakoff.

http://www.therestis...-yard-line.html

(via SCV's Facebook)

. . .not a long piece, and definitely focusing on the more avant-garde stuff of the past few years. Might be fun to get his take on the arguments of art v. entertainment we seasonally churn out here and to have someone a bit more objective look at the activity as a whole.

very cool. love to have him come in here

• Like 1

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2013/07/ligeti-at-the-50-yard-line.html

(via SCV's Facebook)

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. While I'm always curious to hear what non-drum corps folks think of the activity, I'm infinitely more interested to read/hear about what educated music folks (who aren't band teachers) think of drum corps. I agree with others, that I'd love to read more about his thoughts on Blue Devil's rewrite of Spring, Crowns interp. of Cage etc. I'm familiar with Alex Ross, but I've never browsed his blog before.

Interesting that the links provided in the article are not links to DCI sites ...

Wait, what? There's a link to www.dci.org in regards to Chris Martin (it's actually the first link in his article, when he says

They have also produced any number of professional instrumentalists — among them Chris Martin, the principal trumpeter of the Chicago Symphony, who once played in the Spirit of Atlanta.

And he links to SCV's home page here:

But Ligeti, yes indeed, thanks to the appropriately named Santa Clara Vanguard, whose repertory has ranged all over the musical map.

He also links to Blue Devils website here:

The Blue Devils of Concord CA, who won the 2012 drum-corps championship with a program including music of John Adams, Thomas Adès, Antheil, Mingus, and Satie, are devoting their 2013 show to the Rite of Spring

and Phantom Regiment's homepage here:

The Phantom Regiment, meanwhile, has the "Storm" interlude from Peter Grimes in its current program

Did you even freaking read the article/check the links before you posted?!?!

:rolleyes:/>

Edited by perc2100