Marvelous Minneapolis Matchup

That is - by a large margin- the best drumline Boston has ever had.

I really like this show- I feel like going out and conquering the world- or beating up a gangster right now!!!

ummmm you are aware that Boston has been known for many many years as a drumline powerhouse? Early BD lines used to wear BAC shirts under their uniforms. Their 60's lines are legendary.

• Like 2

I enjoy Boston's new ending - didn't expect that they were going to spell out RISE on the field with the grey, so that was pretty cool. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues with members tripping at any point, though the drill seems to be smartly written around it.

Boston still has a LOT of work to do. Their brass sound is very weak in comparison to other corps they should be/are around. I almost feel like it's a tougher weakness to overcome at this point in the season, as opposed to cleaning drill. Regardless, the show has grown on me slowly but surely as the season goes on.

Some things that I wish they would work on:

That brass ripple/call-and-answer in the Radiohead piece - it's time to abandon it. It's been very rough all season. The random and rough attacks just make it sound very amateur-ish.

Bring out the Falling Slowly theme MORE in the 2nd 4-bar set of the Lean on Me transition (4 bars of lean on me in the two arcs, then you can hear Falling Slowly lightly in the background in the next 4 measures of Lean on Me - MAKE THAT SOAR!!!).

The voice-over - I wish they'd pick a more mature/authoritative sounding voice, maybe just deeper. I also wish they would start playing the Zimmer piece right at the onset of the vocal. Maybe have one member front and center revealing his red uniform prior to all the others, sort of like a Superman effect?

Very unique show this year in comparison to all the other corps. I hope they now have their final product that they can clean the hell out of.

• Like 7

Yea i really love this years Boston show. I think the grey uniforms works better with this show. Red would have been to colorful. Hope they do go back to red though.

ummmm you are aware that Boston has been known for many many years as a drumline powerhouse? Early BD lines used to wear BAC shirts under their uniforms. Their 60's lines are legendary.

Good ( and accurate observation). I believe that Boston's percussion section is their strongest section of their Corps this season too.

BAC percussion:

Early 60's-first use of multi-keyed mallet instruments in competition

1967- first use of double bass in competition

1977- first use of "isosnares" in competition

1985- first use of electronics in competition (KORG synthesizer)

late 80's- only corps to use 40 inch bass drum on the field (bass 6) in competition, AKA "WALDO"

2002- 15 man snare line during the drum solo

2013- this year, featuring the "invisible snares"--black shells, black hardware, black pants

(that's all I've got off the top of my head)

....and I was only a hornplayer~ :smile:

• Like 3