What's the purpose of DCI

So if rankings are unlikely to change, then what's the point of the competition side of drum corp? I think that's where it goes into a personal experience thing. Most of the people I knew during drum corp didn't care about placement. It was 100% about the experience and the performance, but we knew we weren't going to win! So if there were no competition aspect to DCI would the same kids go out for The Cavaliers, Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, etc.?

I guess it's the proverbial chicken or the egg arguement.

(Two discussions here; now we're talking year-to-year) The rankings are unlikely to change much, but they do change. In most sports the actual abilities of the various teams don't change much either, but the single-round tournament system introduces two key elements; luck, and (what's the term for a particular skill set that's effective on a given opponent? Can't think of it.).

Consider running. The same elite runners will always be at the front. Nobody else will have any chance. The only question will be which elite runner will win. Is that bad?

What about people that audition based on location? Are they just S.O.L. if they are picked by three corps on the other side of the country?

I suppose, but I don't think it's practical anyway.

DCI the entity and DCI the activity have many purposes. Let's start with the entity:

1. Rules, administration, organization of the activity

2. Product identity

3. Promotional position

4. Show site support either materially or administratively

5. Centralized media repository for all things DCI

The activity:

1. Offer dramatically life-changing experiences to young people through the rigor of a world class drum corps summer tour and performance program

2. Choose and design shows that they believe benefit both member and audience at a level that encourages growth for their specific performer demographic

3. Engage in local community building when possible and appropriate (for example, BD's other entities besides their "A" corps, or Troopers working with local music education programs, or any number of other programs that other corps are putting forth in their communities)

Honestly, it's pretty simple: DCI is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. Long term fans will often engage in it differently from year to year depending on their interest and the perceived personal value of their involvement. First time fans will sometimes become long term fans, others will be off and on. In short, the purpose of DCI is to do what it is doing - to do it well, and to grow new audiences and experiences (including new corps, hopefully) as possible. Is it succeeding? I don't think we'll know that for another few years, but I truly hope so.

• Like 3

Similar questions as, "What's the purpose of what DCI has become?":

What is the purpose of NCAA Sports?

What is the purpose of Scholastic Band Contests?

What is the purpose of The National Cheer-leading Contest?

What is the purpose of ...?

If the answer is not already within you, then asking the question will not yield any real satisfaction.

If the answer is not already within you, then asking the question will not yield any real satisfaction.

It is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. There is no spoon.

• Like 2

depends on which group of directors you talk to

• Like 1

Well, DCI was NEVER about the kids, even in 72.

• Like 1

#1. Offer dramatically life-changing experiences to young people through the rigor of a world class drum corps summer tour and performance program.

Thanks TerriTroop. The focus of DCP is a lot different than the focus of DCI. But both are what they are. Critiquing each corp as to why they do not score better may sound absurd to corp members and staff. After all, they are working to get better every day. They have a plan for how the season will unfold. They are making adjustments along the way. Sometimes they even make the adjustments DCP posters want.

DCP is mostly a fan site. It focuses on the competition portion of DCI. We only occasionally talk about the life changing experiences and the rigor of DCI life. I too get wrapped up in watching scores. But this thread reminded me what my kid is getting out of this activity. He is not a music major, so he may never teach these skills to others. But I have seen him grow as a person. I pay a lot for this and see it as a wonderful extension of his college education.

• Like 2

As if on cue, the Cadets just passed BD and are tied with Crown for the lead (at a TOC show where they competed together).

I've got to think that's an anomaly, but we'll see. Why would both CC and BD drop suddenly compared to Cadets? All the rest dropped a similar amount except Cavies, who went up. This suggests a general downward judging artifact, with a surprisingly large actual jump for Cadets and Cavies (i.e. even larger than it looks.)