"wow, they're back"

Magic of Orlando 2002.

Inactive in 2000. Small ensemble unit (Micro Magic) 2001. Then back to full size in 2002 and classified as Div. II due to a DCI rule quirk of the time. Won that and then placed 11th in Div. I finals as well.

They were really almost all-new staff, designers and organization under the old name, and without the tuxedos, Robert Smith sound or beloved weirdness of the former corps, but definitely a strong competitor again.

Great one - all new everything (but, sadly, same problems as before). I really miss that group.

• Like 2

Kilties received a "Wow they're back" in 1977, of course they also received a "huh, they're here" in 1978...but since I loved the old Kilties and miss them, we won't go there.

I remember in 1980, Crossmen received a huge "wow they're back" from many fans, but I'm not sure if that should count since their 13th place in 1979 was rather controversial and they should have been fianlists. Most of the season they were close to 27th, Bridgemen, Guardsmen, North Star, and Madison and I'd have to go back to Corpsreps to verify, but I believe topped each of these corps at least once that year.However, last year they certainly deserved the "wow they're back" they received. I found last year's semi's performance really powerful. I had been hoping they'd do it and they did.

Regarding Troopers, they still recall the "1979 Miracle" with fondness and I do like that show, but the reception they received in 2009 was amazing. I would have loved to have been in the stands when they returned to finals after 23 years.

Tim, I do have to disagree with you about 79 Troopers over Crossmen. I will agree that if the two corps had competed 1000 times, Crossmen would have won 999. This time was the 1 out of 1000! Troopers just outperformed Xmen that day and absolutely deserved to make finals, without a doubt! Any other result would have been the worst kind of slotting! I marched in that show and we performed WAY over our heads that day. Crossmen had better talent in the hornline, better talent in the drumline, had a better score, had superior visual design, and had a much better colorguard, but, for that shining 12 1/2 minutes, Troopers were the better corps!

Troopers this year.

08 to 09 too

Crossmen 11-12

Spirit 10-11

• Like 1

Regarding 80-81 Vanguard - From 7th to 1st....is that the biggest

overall climb or climb to a title in the history of DCI?

Well, technically the Anaheim Kingsmen didn't even make Finals the year before they won... :w00t:/> Of course, DCI also didn't exist the year before they won :shutup:/>

• Like 1

It's got to be the biggest one year climb. The Kingsmen would be "undefined." :)

What about the biggest TWO year climb? BD 9th in 74 to 1st in 76?

1373920430[/url]' post='3286893']

Tim, I do have to disagree with you about 79 Troopers over Crossmen. I will agree that if the two corps had competed 1000 times, Crossmen would have won 999. This time was the 1 out of 1000! Troopers just outperformed Xmen that day and absolutely deserved to make finals, without a doubt! Any other result would have been the worst kind of slotting! I marched in that show and we performed WAY over our heads that day. Crossmen had better talent in the hornline, better talent in the drumline, had a better score, had superior visual design, and had a much better colorguard, but, for that shining 12 1/2 minutes, Troopers were the better corps!

I love Troopers 79 show. The reason I used the word "controversial" is not so much a reference to the Troopers as much as the backstory. Crossmen were penalized and that put them in 13th. The penalties caused the controversy. My guess is a Crossmen alim can fill in the specifics.