Spirit of Atlanta 2013

There are several Spirit of Atlanta threads for 2013, but I wanted to start a new one that is more specifically focused.

I was also motivated to do so because of their performance last night.

I usually take this week off from work and follow corps from Tuesday or so into San Antonio. I then do the same Allentown to finals.

I will finish a review today for the Broken Arrow show.

I enjoyed all of the corps last night for various reasons, but it was Spirit that took me by surprise the most.

I have had less time this season to watch shows on fan network, or other video sites, and less time to keep up

with all of the scores, etc. Spirit got a lot of hype in 2011 and a bit less last year. This year seems less and I assumed the were

probably good, but I was not expecting to be as impressed as I was last night. Show and performance were fantastic!

To save some for my review, I will just state that they have not been this good since the mid 1980s! Not close, not this deep,

not this talented, not this detailed, not this entertaining. And I have to say that just comparing them to everyone else, they

have dug in and kept their identity while also pushing the demand and intricate level of detailing for a show that has so

much audience appeal. The Kings of Variety, all sewn up into one great, appropriate concept for them, for drum corps.

I LOVED IT. I could see this as a surprise corps in the end if they push into that next realm of confidence and clean.

Thanks Spirit for caring about being competitive, AND for letting me into your show and keeping me there the second you hit the field.

• Like 6

Agree on all accounts. Read a post that talked about them needing to add demand. Scratched my head several times over that one.

For the entertaining belly-up-to-the-bar sequence, have they added white gloves or something else (mugs?) that will make those nifty gestures easier to read?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I could see this as a surprise corps in the end if they push into that next realm of confidence and clean.

It's all a game of surges. The right changes and excellent cleaning could vault them into 10th or 9th place. However Blue Stars are right on their heels, and Troop and Xmen aren't that far behind. Spirit's members and staff need to stay motivated and hungry, because it's very possible that Spirit could (unfortunately) miss Finals.

• Like 1

Spirit's members and staff need to stay motivated and hungry, because it's very possible that Spirit could (unfortunately) miss Finals.

Honestly...can you name ONE corps that doesn't stay "motivated and hungry" throughout the season?

Spirit knows that there are corps nipping on their heals. They will likely not just allow corps to pass them without a fight.

But, Spirit's eyes are ahead of them, not behind them. They are looking up...not down. I can guarantee you that...

But, as we all know...things happen. Spirit can push to the end and fall short. The same can be said for Blue Stars, Crossmen, or Troopers. At least for now, Spirit has the upper hand.

smh...

The latest Field Pass is about Spirit's "Speakeasy" show.

They discuss some changes they are making and I suspect there will be more on the way for San Antonio, Opelika (Spirit's "home" show), and Atlanta.

It's WAAAAAY too early to be talking about missing Finals.

There are several Spirit of Atlanta threads for 2013, but I wanted to start a new one that is more specifically focused.

I was also motivated to do so because of their performance last night.

I usually take this week off from work and follow corps from Tuesday or so into San Antonio. I then do the same Allentown to finals.

I will finish a review today for the Broken Arrow show.

I enjoyed all of the corps last night for various reasons, but it was Spirit that took me by surprise the most.

I have had less time this season to watch shows on fan network, or other video sites, and less time to keep up

with all of the scores, etc. Spirit got a lot of hype in 2011 and a bit less last year. This year seems less and I assumed the were

probably good, but I was not expecting to be as impressed as I was last night. Show and performance were fantastic!

To save some for my review, I will just state that they have not been this good since the mid 1980s! Not close, not this deep,

not this talented, not this detailed, not this entertaining. And I have to say that just comparing them to everyone else, they

have dug in and kept their identity while also pushing the demand and intricate level of detailing for a show that has so

much audience appeal. The Kings of Variety, all sewn up into one great, appropriate concept for them, for drum corps.

I LOVED IT. I could see this as a surprise corps in the end if they push into that next realm of confidence and clean.

Thanks Spirit for caring about being competitive, AND for letting me into your show and keeping me there the second you hit the field.

You nailed it buddy! Spirit is just getting started!

I loved their show early on in the season. I can only imagine how it has grown.

People without knowledge beyond band music or classical music may not get how hard all the

styles are that they are playing. I am personally blown away. Then again, visual rules the day and

most music judges are too interested in keeping their judging gig rather than rewarding and promoting

music as almost all cultures and societies define it outside of drum corps. Keep it up SOA.

I am a fan!

With as much talent that is in the southeast there is no reason why they can't be a contender. They have finally rebounded after all the hostile take over crap that went on and almost destroyed them. You can't keep a good thing down.