Spirit of Atlanta 2013

Loved them in San Antonio and even more last night in Lafayette. The top four corps seemed super charged in Ragin Cajun Stadium.

They seemed to have already improved since saturday. Their GE moments really got the audience involved in the theme.

The show is nice, but out of balance. The Mancini number is given room to develop, fully, but the Sweet Georgia Brown and Gershwin iterations are barely more than a few identifiable phrases from each piece, and never get a chance to breathe on their own. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the Mancini is the least musically complex piece to begin with - so we're spending MORE musical time developing the least complex piece, and running roughshod over the rest.

The show is accessible, and very pleasant. But there's not much to talk about afterwards except "that was cute" (verbatim, from a first-time audience member seated next to me). Not that there's anything wrong with cute, but it's not going to be knocking on the top tier's door.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Congrats to Spirit for breaking 80 last night! Getting better every day! :thumbup:/>

• Like 1

Apparently, per a parent, many of them have a stomach bug (at least one was being taken to the Dr.), there was an article posted in USA today discussing it. Also noted that it is spreading through other corps as well...hope it's only a 24hr thing.

The show is nice, but out of balance. The Mancini number is given room to develop, fully, but the Sweet Georgia Brown and Gershwin iterations are barely more than a few identifiable phrases from each piece, and never get a chance to breathe on their own. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the Mancini is the least musically complex piece to begin with - so we're spending MORE musical time developing the least complex piece, and running roughshod over the rest.

The show is accessible, and very pleasant. But there's not much to talk about afterwards except "that was cute" (verbatim, from a first-time audience member seated next to me). Not that there's anything wrong with cute, but it's not going to be knocking on the top tier's door.

Interestingly, at San Antonio show, several of the SoA's hornline described their show to me as "cute."

Regarding their sickness in the past week, does all that hugging and kissing of family and friends from home and other corps which so often happens at Regionals like San Antonio, now get blacklisted as a viral agent???

Interestingly, at San Antonio show, several of the SoA's hornline described their show to me as "cute."

ugh ::shudder:: cute

Regarding their sickness in the past week, does all that hugging and kissing of family and friends from home and other corps which so often happens at Regionals like San Antonio, now get blacklisted as a viral agent???

I find that interesting. Can't imagine brass players ever using that word, certainly not in a horn line that plays that well or has as much non-cute stuff in their show as they have.

If I had to guess, using the word "cute" has been planted to be condescending.

Would describe pre show as playful, but not "cute"

Inro: cool, effective, different, very 20s, not "cute"

Opener: Driving Gershwin, aggressive, lots of drill, not "cute"

Next section, amazing pit, yes, here we get "cute" (and effective I might add) at the bar drinking, but it lasts 10 seconds. maybe

The police raid: not cute, dark and dangerous

Ballad: beautiful, melodic. not "cute"

Sweet Georgia Brown closer: lots of variation, some of their hardest stuff, nostalgic to some degree, not "cute'