Austin, TX

To the man sitting directly behind me who answered his phone during SCV's ballad... YOU SUCK!

And to the general public... I'm begging you... Don't do the "Vanguard yell"! PLEASE!!! The very reason I hate it happened last night. It sounded like an echo chamber and ruined another beautiful SCV moment! The show just doesn't need it.

Edited by skajerk

Quick thoughts on Austin:

Phantom: For some reason, I haven't watched your show until last night. Now I'm kicking myself. You guys blew me away! Loved it. (except for that freaky thing in the back. Add that and clowns to my "Things that creep me out" list). Other than, lush and beautiful.

Cavies: Sorry, I was hoping I'd like the show better live but it's just not my thing. I didn't hate but, there you have it. Sorry, I wish I could say more, that's all I can really say about this show this year.

BD: Same as Cavies. All my CA/BD friends were saying, "you have to see it live to enjoy it". Yeah. Didn't work. Now, I really like the music and the hornline is fantastic but it's the visual that kills it for me. Seems like there is a ton of individual work going on but hardly any ensemble moments. In other words, to me it was just a hot mess. That make sense? I like this show a whole lot better than last year's but it's way down on my "watch again" list for this season. My wish? To see/hear them do an "old school" jazz show with the today's influence. Now, I'm not asking them to go back to the tux uni or anything like that, (these unis have kind of grown on me). Just do some straight up jazz like they used to. For one year. That''s all I ask! I have no doubt BD could pull that off. cool.gif

Cadets: Now, this is one show that did change my mind when I saw it live I LOVED it! I know the current rage is to hate anything Cadets because of Hop's current comments, but Hop wasn't even on my mind after the first note. I'd have no problem whatsoever if this show ended up winning.

SCV: You proved to me why you have my favorite show this year. Pure class right from the start. As someone else said on DCP... sublime! The biggest reaction of the night after they finished from what I could tell. I love the additions to the ending, especially the fleur de lis, (now, come on. Let us know, is this a nod to Madison? Is it there to stick with the Les Mis theme? Or is it both?), but the ending still seems a little abrupt to me. No matter... d### the placements, this is my favorite show of the year. All I ask from the general public, as I stated in my previous post... don't do the "Vanguard yell"! I'm begging you!! It ruined a beautiful moment last night because it sounded like an echo chamber. I heard "Vanguard!" at least 5 different times from all over in just that little opening of silence. *sigh*

Crown: Jeezy creezy <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard> that hornline! And that guard! Wow!! OK, first off... you guys had some tech/vox mic problems last night at the start of the show that were a bit distracting. Especially when the vox mics came back on half way though one of the verses (for lack of a better word). How that can't be judged, i don't understand. Now, having said that... I really really like this show. Until the narration at the end. I can take all the the other vox because it's part of the source music. Still not a fan, but I can take it. But to relegate what is, IMO, the best hornline in DCI to a backup group is just beyond my comprehension. The love story is not needed. All it's doing is covering up that lush sound the horns are putting out. Quite a few people around thought the same thing. BUT... that ending just about makes up for it. I only wish I was sitting up higher so I could really appreciate the drill.

Bluecoats: Sorry, we had to get out of there before you played. We got home at 1am as it was (Yeah, I know I'm old). But, we did watch your run-through and I have seen the show on TFN. I like the show, it's not my favorite 'Coats show, a little electronic heavy for me but I like it. Wasn't sure when I first saw them, but I LOVE the use of the bleachers. The thing that really bugs me though is the toe first marching. I saw a lot of dirty feet. especially at the slower tempos. Gotta get that cleaned up.

Final thought. I think the ToC format has run it's course and it's time to put it out of it's misery. Now, that could just be me because I've seen the Houston show go from being a 2 night showcase of the entire WC corps, to 2 years of the ToC format (at the same price. Meaning, DCI charged the same price for 7 corps that they did for 11 corps the previous years), to a local show this year (again, at the same price) that we didn't even go to. I mean, we drove 3 hours to Austin instead!

That is all. *putting on protective clothing*

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 4

Great review, skajerk! Thanks!

Just one quibble:

Cadets: Now, this is one show that did change my mind when I saw it live I LOVED it! I know the current rage is to hate anything Cadets because of Hop's current comments, but Hop wasn't even on my mind after the first note. I'd have no problem whatsoever if this show ended up winning.

I'm one of the loudest ragers about Hop's PR kerfuffle, but I never stopped loving the Cadets show, so there! :tongue:

• Like 3

Thanks for clarifying! :)

Then maybe this is part of the issue... Kids coming in from their high school and college bands marching heel first, and then learning both a heel first and a toe first technique for the show. Not enough time to clean everything?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Did not know they did toe-first for the majority of the show. I thought they just used a toe-close kinda thing when they closed to a halted position (if that makes any sense). Anyway, thanks for the info from both you and AutumnLeaves. Very helpful, I'll have to watch for this next time I watch them!

Edited by g00fyg00ber

Dumb question, as I have never seen SCV live: what is the Vanguard yell?

*puts on protective clothing because I'm sure this will p### someone off"

For me, it's a pet peeve.

Every year, at some point of the show where there happens to be a moment of silence, which is usually just before a push or huge moment, some insist on filling the silence on yelling "Vanguard!"

Now, a few times in the early years of "the yell" years back, the staff had announced that there was a spot written in just for the yell and would tell you where it was. It was great because everyone knew when to yell it. That hasn't happened for a while. In fact, in '09 for the "Ballet For Martha" show, the staff made an announcement NOT to do the yell.

IMO, it's not needed this year (or any year) and has become a hype and a distraction. Like it did last night when I heard "Vanguard!" all around me 5 or 6 different times because no one knows when to yell. As the saying goes, "silence is golden". It just ruined a great moment in the show.

Red mark away!

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 5

Who's in charge of the Blue Devils twitter account? Very "good sportsmanship" from them commenting on all of the competition's shows in a positive light. You'll never see the Dallas Cowboys posting about how great the Giants and Eagles are looking

or vice versa

love,

A Cowboys fan who lives in Eaglesland

Quick thoughts on Austin:

Thanks for the thoughts man - very much enjoyed reading them and I think we agree 100% on the shows

• Like 1