Austin, TX

For the few of you who actually care about this, here we go.

By the way, I have no credentials, and the words I say are just that. This is not a professional discussion by any means.

Oustanding review, trh! One of the best reviews of the season, IMO--you communicated your experience of the shows with absolute clarity! It certainly made me all that much more excited to see the show in Murfreesboro on Friday! :thumbup:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Oustanding review, trh! One of the best of the season, IMO. :thumbup:/>

I agree, thanks trh! Any word on a new Cavies ending?

• Like 1

*puts on protective clothing because I'm sure this will p### someone off"

For me, it's a pet peeve.

Every year, at some point of the show where there happens to be a moment of silence, which is usually just before a push or huge moment, some insist on filling the silence on yelling "Vanguard!"

Now, a few times in the early years of "the yell" years back, the staff had announced that there was a spot written in just for the yell and would tell you where it was. It was great because everyone knew when to yell it. That hasn't happened for a while. In fact, in '09 for the "Ballet For Martha" show, the staff made an announcement NOT to do the yell.

IMO, it's not needed this year (or any year) and has become a hype and a distraction. Like it did last night when I heard "Vanguard!" all around me 5 or 6 different times because no one knows when to yell. As the saying goes, "silence is golden". It just ruined a great moment in the show.

Red mark away!

I hear you, but if people are going to do it no matter what, I think it would be better to do it at a sanctioned and agreed upon point so it isn't done badly and weakly at poorly chosen times. That seems the worst of all to me.

• Like 1

By the way, I have no credentials, and the words I say are just that. This is not a professional discussion by any means.

I really appreciate the reminder about how I should be reacting to drum corps shows instead of being the pessimistic arse-hat I typically am. Thumbs up :thumbup:/>

• Like 2

In order of performance:

Phantom Regiment

Loving the program. Interesting brass sound, and great overall design. The large witch-thing was strange, but the Phantomettes were killin' it. Great uniforms, really fun show. Nimrod from Enigma Variations was an interesting choice, especially with how many times it's been played by different ensembles over the past few years. Great show overall.

The Cavaliers

The general show design is fantastic, but I wish they would stick to one musical motif, rather than changing the mood in uncomfortable intervals. The drill is much better this year than last year, utilizing space, time, and direction much better, but I've heard from former marching members this feeling of a strange sense in lack of skill in marching technique by members. At this point in the season, this is incredibly rare for The Cavaliers. I think that if they can keep on polishing and re-write a bit of music and drill, they could still make some incredible strides and be more competitive… But while they're learning new drill and music, Bluecoats, Phantom, and SCV will all be making leaps and bounds with their current shows. The guard is so great. I originally didn't love the capes, as they looked like large blobs on the field in the early season, but I'm kind of in love with them now. I wish I could've seen the different ending, but the best word to describe the 2013 Cavaliers is potential.

Blue Devils

Holy cow, do the first four minutes of this show absolutely freakin' rock. This is such a kick ### show and the first show I've ever loved by BD. They're good, they know they're good, and they're out to prove it to the world, and I can't wait. Probably the best part about this show is its overall versatility. It's whatever you want it to be. There's a story if you look hard enough, but it's also whatever you want it to be. This is a show that you'll be able to watch 50 different times after Finals and STILL find new things, little nuances that have previously escaped you, and you'll be encapsulated in its beauty AGAIN. I think I could talk about this show for hours, but the best word to sum it up is wow.

The Cadets

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. For some strange reason, I had really low expectations for this show in terms of overall entertainment. The show was quintessential Cadets, and I absolutely loved it. The musical selections were stunning. My first set of shivers came from the very first note of Adagio. Side x Side is absolutely amazing. The subtleties did it for me. They didn't kill the title/theme, but instead, let it enhance their visual and overall show design. And the ending! Oh, the ending. Absolute perfection. I wish I could see this show over and over and over again. Absolutely amazing show. Yowza. I think I got shivers at least four times in this show.

Santa Clara Vanguard

I have to admit, to start, that I've never seen or heard any tracks from Les Miserables, but they absolutely KILLED this show. I can't wait to see what Vanguard's going to do in the coming years, perhaps even living up to their ensemble's name. If they can keep their staff and recruit hard, they'll be up at the top again for the foreseeable future. Very, very cool show and incredibly user-friendly. Can't wait to see what they can do towards Allentown.

Carolina Crown

THE FEELS. I really have no words for this show. I'm obsessed. OBSESSED. This could be the year that Crown takes, well… the crown. And they're only going to get BETTER. The entire show. Shivers at least five times IN ONE SHOW HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! Unbelievable. I might have teared up a little bit? Also, in LOVE with the uniforms (costumes?). #fangirlstatus

Bluecoats

A really interesting show. I love the guard uniforms, and the flag work is so good. I had the opportunity to watch them rehearse, and that was a really sweet experience, too. It was cool to see that the things they were rehearsing were fixed in the show that night. I love the quadraphonic sounds after the first big hit. Bloo is back again with another great show.

I LOVE your enthusiasm!

• Like 1

For the few of you who actually care about this, here we go.[/size][/font][/color]

Great review, rookie! It's nice to read a post on DCP that is positive, even in its criticisms.

• Like 1

Took my nieces 11 and 13yr old to the Round Rock show last night, she's going to be playing tuba, and him drums and euphonium at their middle school. DC is not my cup of tea anymore, but it's their future so I wanted them so see what the best players aspire too. Hats off to SCV and Cadets for resembling drum corps. SVC show is really wonderful and IMO was the best production this year. Didn't expect to like Les Mis. Drum line is clearly the best on the field as the placement reflects. If anyone in the SCV camp is listening, please teach them how to cover down, straighten out the exposed lines, and I think it will instantly become a four horse race. I am anti Hopkins, but loved Cadets horn sound and drum line. The familiar music was enjoyable. PR, CAVs and BD came on before them, but Cadets clearly had a more powerful horn sound that the first three didn't. Best use of electronics, SCV and Cadets. Hardly noticed them which is probably why I heard and enjoyed the horn lines. Worst use of electronics, everybody else, especially BD miking the soloists, Crowns singing and narration(a huge distraction) and Coats LAYING on the bass synth the whole show YUK! I was booing in the end.