How is noone talking about the flugel solo in BD's ballad?

Get over the mics, seriously. He has a great tone and plays the solo flawlessly. That's what we're talking about.

This topic is..... How is noone talking about the flugel solo in BD's ballad?

Just saying...

Regarding the solo and soloist...very good...highlight of BD's show....

This topic is..... How is noone talking about the flugel solo in BD's ballad?

Just saying...

Regarding the solo and soloist...very good...highlight of BD's show....

Regardless, the thread is still not about bashing mics.

• Like 1

Regardless, the thread is still not about bashing mics.

Topic is about the solo...which uses mics

cheers....

• Like 1

Topic is about the solo...which uses mics

cheers....

Sorry I took it more as about the player???? Jeez. That's what the original poster commented about.

Edited by HiddenMonster

I didn't notice the quality of his solo, because I was too busy wondering why such talented musicians can't seem to play a solo without a microphone jammed in their bells. How long until BD (or others) just start putting a cordless microphones in the bells of the entire horn line?

The rules state: "Amplification of brass instruments (soloists and small ensembles of no more than 15 members) is allowed. Amplification of brass instruments may be wired or wireless."

The language is, unfortunately but typically, unclear. If you group the brass into five small ensembles of 15 members, can you mike them all?

Anyway, I've argued in the past that it would sound better to just mike the entire corps than to have some elements run through the PA and some completely acoustic. Certainly for everyone who argues that playing with "proper technique" is more important than learning to listen and blend with the ensemble in the particular setting, miking all the brass and battery should be a no-brainer. Live stream shows could just pipe the mixer output directly into the feed, instead of relying on poorly-placed microphones to pick up the amps and the field sounds. Brass and percussion judges could be allowed to tap into individual input lines to judge achievement by individual players in an isolated fashion.

But, if you aren't going to do amplification right, I think the current methods end up sounding bad. Maybe I'm too picky, but a concert-hall-reverbed flugel solo coming out of amps played over a naturally stadium-reverbed brass choir doesn't sound right at all.

That said, the guy is doing a great job, I agree.

That solo is the best I have heard in years, and there are several solos like that this year from different corps, like SCV's mello solo.

As to the question of the thread: everyone likes to have a corps they can hate, so they jump on the bandwagon and bash BD (even though I'm sure only 10-20% of the posters on here have seen the show in person, and that is a generous estimate). It's the same reason no one is talking about how they completely changed that park and bark jazz section in the opening movement (after they go backfield for a few bars and turn and smack the audience with that nice BD jazz sound).