Hostrauser's DCI Rankings - Week 4

I'm no newb to Drum Corps, but I haven't understood the acronym BAC... :doh:/>

Boston - they have been known by this acronym since at least the 60's.

You did not want to mess with them - back in 79 or 80, when DCI was in Birmingham AL, there was a small,young 'Open Class' (called Class A back then) that was being harassed by a bunch of local hoodlums. The southies from BAC intervened, and there were no more problems.

• Like 1

If this is indeed why they are ranked where they are - not show design, not performance, then there is something profoundly wrong with the judging system.

I hope you are right that it isn't how it works, but lets face it, performance order does make some difference... granted not as much as some may think. Oc's show is one you need to see twice to really see the whole concept.

If where OC is where they truly belong, then I won't argue it :sleeping:

I'm no newb to Drum Corps, but I haven't understood the acronym BAC... :doh:/>/>/>

True story:

A mother, a public school music teacher, once went to a Boston Crusaders Brass line rehearsal many years ago ( 60's ) to watch her rookie Son at his first brass line rehearsal. She knew little about the Corps, or Drum Corps in general. She liked how the Brass Instuctor, Ed Denon worked the brass line, and was impressed by it all. After practice, she went up to Ed and complimented him on his instruction, and the music she heared coming out of the hornline. She had one question however. She had heard of the " BAC " acronym, but did not know what it meant, so she asked Mr. Denon ( a music educator himself ) what the letters " B...A...C" meant. Ed Denon without missing a beat, replied, " Ma'am, " B.. A...C " refers to" Beautiful Aria Corps ". :innocent:

Edited by BRASSO

I expect BAC to be improving as more changes are made. I expect the top 10 to all break 90. Im also very impressed with how BK has been performing.

That would be great, although it's never happened before (only twice have even nine corps reached 90), it's always unlikely because the judges need to leave themselves enough room for the top corps to have a bad night, and seems especially improbable after last year when only six corps scored that high.

Yet to perform/be scored:

N/A -- Blue Saints

DCI's schedule shows Taipei Yuehfu competing at five shows (plus Championships?) starting this Saturday.

DCI's schedule shows Taipei Yuehfu competing at five shows (plus Championships?) starting this Saturday.

Thanks, I'll add them to the sheet. I hadn't mapped out future weeks yet.

Someone explain to me how BDB and SCVC could possibly finish prelims ahead of Academy, Mandarins and OC? That doesn't even make sense. Vanguard Cadets haven't beaten OC in years. That would mean that if OC were still in Open Class, they'd place 3rd?

And Gold will beat Jersey Surf?????

Is it because open class scores are higher and that is not figured in in this prediction... or?

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

Someone explain to me how BDB and SCVC could possibly finish prelims ahead of Academy, Mandarins and OC? That doesn't even make sense.

BDB or SCVC are virtually guaranteed to be the Open Class champions. In 2012, the OC Champ beat four WC corps at WC Prelims. In 2011, the OC Champ beat FIVE World Class corps at WC Prelims.

The bottom five World corps in my current rankings are Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey Surf, Oregon Crusaders, and Mandarins (and a 6th, The Academy, is only 0.2 above the Mandarins). It is *HIGHLY* likely that most of these corps will be defeated by the top OC corps come Prelims.

Vanguard Cadets haven't beaten OC in years.

So? Spirit hadn't beaten The Cavaliers in ages... until last year. Times change. Corps change. SCVC is very good this year.

Oh, and SCVC last topped Oregon in 2010. So yes, it's been a few years, but it's not like it's ancient history.

That would mean that if OC were still in Open Class, they'd place 3rd?

This summer? Very possibly, yes.

At the 2012 DCI World Class Semifinals, the Oregon Crusaders were 19th, Jersey Surf was 20th, BDB was 21st, and SCVC was 22nd. Right in a row. And so far Surf's scores have not been as good this year as last year.

Gold appears to be up this year. If they are the 3rd place Open corps, it's not at all insane to think they could top Surf.

PS: in 2011, Surf was the last corps into Semis, placing 25th. They were beaten by all three: OC, BDB, and SCVC.

Is it because open class scores are higher and that is not figured in in this prediction... or?

The Open Class scores are taken into account and adjusted downward to match World Class sheets. It's a week by week process. I would not be surprised if my current rankings have Open Class corps rated slightly too high. That said, YOU should not be surprised if the top two or three Open Class corps beat handfuls of World Class corps at WC Prelims.

Edited by hostrauser

Someone explain to me how BDB and SCVC could possibly finish prelims ahead of Academy, Mandarins and OC? That doesn't even make sense. Vanguard Cadets haven't beaten OC in years. That would mean that if OC were still in Open Class, they'd place 3rd?

It is common for the top 2 or 3 open class to do very well in semis at world. They are scored on World sheets. Oregon Crusaders did it last year. And as much as it pains me to say it, it is possible for Oregon Crusaders to be beaten by an open class corps, despite winning last year. It would just mean this years Open class are on FIRE =D which is still something to celebrate!

Keep in mind also these are just predictions, and it's somewhat hard to predict when they are scored on different sheets, he is just using algorithms based on previous seasons when open went to world.