Oberservation

Why can't people like both the Blue Devils and Carolina Crown? It seems people who like Crown do not give the Blue Devils the respect they deserve and vice versa.

There is only one corps whose show I actively dislike this year, and that corps has not placed in the top ten at any regional so far. There are certainly some shows that I prefer to others, but I have been blown away by how good almost ALL the shows are this year. What I like more than any one show, however, is the variety of approaches the different corps are taking. Each of the top four shows (in terms of scoring) are very different from each other. Maybe I just get bored too easy, but I would hate it if every corps was putting on shows like BD's ... or Crown's ... or The Cadet's ... or yes, even SCV's. Variety truly is the spice of life when it comes to drum corps for me.

I don't get it either. I mean they will be fighting it out hard for second place the rest of the season. They deserve our respect! :tongue:/>/>

With all due respect, one of the two mentioned above could place 3rd.....or did we forget something?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

I read it to mean Crown and BD would be fighting it out for second, since Cadets are the nominal leader at the moment.

To be honest, its so close this year, any of the three could finish 3rd.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Well that's a departure for you, monkey.......looking out for BD's comfort! :rolleyes:/>/> What a nice thing!

I am surprised you didn't say that it has a nice RING to it.

I actually feel the same way about both Crown and BD this year: Love the first half of each show. Do not like the back half at all.

For me, I'm not interested in what your corps name is. I have no dog in the hunt because my own corps is no longer active. My "favorites" shift and change every year as different corps put on shows that I like, with some last-year favorites doing something I'm not as keen on. It's always in flux.

As a show designer myself, when I am critical of a corps' show, it is almost always about its design, and never about the corps itself or the members. All the members can do is perform the product they've been given to the best of their ability, and that remains true even if a corps does a show I absolutely hate.

I feel like I am not alone in this regard, and that often people get defensive and assume that critical comments about shows are somehow an attack on the members or corps.

I very much respect BD, which is why I get frustrated when referred to as a "hater" if I don't like their shows. For me, it's all about style. I liked the Godfather Show and the show in, what was it-- 87 when they wore the gray uniforms and played "happy days are here again"? Classy stuff. Ironically enough it seems most BD fans don't like that show. Again, a matter of taste.

I think some fear that when a corps wins with something edgy and really different that it drives the activity in a direction they don't really care for. Some may stone me for this: You HAVE to think that some of the design choices this year in several corps are influenced by the success of Cabaret Voltaire. Both Cadets and Crown seem to be mimicking this to a degree. Otherwise, explain crown's uniform to me after years of being the cream team. I know it fits the show. So would a new jacket designed specifically for it. The cadets have not used color like this since 02.

I'm just happy DCI is doing as well as it is. I keep bringing new folks to see and they enjoy it.

Edited by Wadep66

I liked the Godfather Show and the show in, what was it-- 87 when they wore the gray uniforms and played "happy days are here again"? Classy stuff. Ironically enough it seems most BD fans don't like that show. Again, a matter of taste.

It was 1988...but where do you get that most BD fans didn't like it lol? It is one of their most highly regarded shows by pretty much everyone and considered to be one of the best hornlines ever fielded.

• Like 1

I am surprised you didn't say that it has a nice RING to it.

Nicely played. :rolleyes:/>

I very much respect BD, which is why I get frustrated when referred to as a "hater" if I don't like their shows. For me, it's all about style. I liked the Godfather Show and the show in, what was it-- 87 when they wore the gray uniforms and played "happy days are here again"? Classy stuff. Ironically enough it seems most BD fans don't like that show. Again, a matter of taste.

I think some fear that when a corps wins with something edgy and really different that it drives the activity in a direction they don't really care for. Some may stone me for this: You HAVE to think that some of the design choices this year in several corps are influenced by the success of Cabaret Voltaire. Both Cadets and Crown seem to be mimicking this to a degree. Otherwise, explain crown's uniform to me after years of being the cream team. I know it fits the show. So would a new jacket designed specifically for it. The cadets have not used color like this since 02.

I'm just happy DCI is doing as well as it is. I keep bringing new folks to see and they enjoy it.

Based on those sentiments, I'm not sure why you would be called a "hater" either. But perhaps it was in a different context. I think "hate" is such a destructive word anyway. How do you "hate" any performance? Dislike, bored, meh, not my cup of tea, disturbed and other descriptions perhaps...but hate is so......hateful. I always think of saying your "hateful" post to the corps kids to their face........nobody would do that...I mean nobody! So why do we think it's OK to say it here? .....But I digress.

I think you are honestly touching on what some DCPers have feared for half a decade now......that BD's new direction (if rewarded) will suck other corps in that direction and then DCI will go to hell in a hand basket. That never was a legitimate rationale IMO.....because there will always be traditional designers in the DCI family. Even after 6 years of BD doing their thing and winning (or near winning)...it has only produced 2 or 3 other corps designs that could be construed as being influenced by BD's success. If the naysayers were right......half the corps would be doing weird ####......but they're not. That's the other disingenuous part of this argument....20 corps are doing more or less tradition shows and 2 are doing "avante gardish".......that's not exactly and epidemic....and yet some on DCP claim that the very foundation of drum corps, as we know it, is threatened......it makes no sense.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1