Murfreesboro Mayhem

Well,you can see how this can devolve rather quickly. If you misstate what I said, you open the door up to misquoting you so you are put in a position to defend something you never said. So... why did you state above that nobody goes to the non TOC shows anymore ? Thats not true. Would you care to defend these comments of yours from above ?

I never misstated anything you said. And if I did I certainly apologize. And I never said "nobody goes to the non TOC shows anymore" so I really have no idea what you're talking about or why you asked me "How long have I been beating my wife" :blink:

What do you see as the " true purpose " of the G7 ?

A bigger slice of money and attention to the G7 corps themselves. Control and power over DCI are useful only to the extent they allow the G7 to direct money and attention to themselves.

The TOC shows are huge payoffs for the participants. Other corps and other shows are harmed by having so many TOC shows on the schedule. Thus, the TOC is working as designed. If the extra revenue were feeding into the lower tier corps or into corps seeding efforts, it'd be a different story but the extra money these shows make goes to the G7.

Now that non-G7 corps aren't part of the show at all and there's an extra TOC show on the schedule this year, the G7's premise will soon become a self fulfilling prophecy as they'll be the only corps that have enough money to succeed competitively.

Edited by skywhopper

I never misstated anything you said. And if I did I certainly apologize. And I never said "nobody goes to the non TOC shows anymore" so I really have no idea what you're talking about or why you asked me "How long have I been beating my wife" :blink:/>

Nobody should have to be put in a position to have to defend some comment that they never stated to begin with. Not You. Not me. Not anyone. You're a good and decent poster on here, so no harm, no foul.

• Like 1

Its " true purpose " is open to question and debate however. So, until we can all define what we agree was, and is, its " true purpose ", its really impossible to discuss whether or not it has attained its " true purpose " or not. You and I might actually agree with one another that it has attained its " true purpose". But only if we can agree with one another on what we believe its " true purpose " really is. That said, I suspect we probably are at odds however as to what its " true purpose " has been from the very outset. What do you see as the " true purpose " of the G7 ? I believe that the TOC was only an ancillary backdrop format to the G7's " true purpose ". I take the G7 at their WORD on what their " true purpose " of the G7 was and still remains. That said, I'm not totally convinced all others take the " true purpose " of the G7 as what the G7 said it was all about, despite being pretty clear and cogent to me as to what they TOLD US they believed in, and were, and remain, all about.

As a fan, I don't care what the "true purpose" is. In my circle of people that I try and take to shows (and some friends who marched with me back in the day), if we got to choose the lineup for the show we'd want to see, we'd have about 7 or 8 (not more, that's too much) and want them to be the typical top 7/8. Don't care about behind the scenes, the politics, G7 vs DCI, etc. I want to see, if possible, the 7 or 8 best shows rather than 2 or 3 good ones and the rest smaller corps. Nothing against the smaller ones (I marched one), but I'd prefer to see the top shows since money and time are limited.

• Like 1

As a fan, I don't care what the "true purpose" is. In my circle of people that I try and take to shows (and some friends who marched with me back in the day), if we got to choose the lineup for the show we'd want to see, we'd have about 7 or 8 (not more, that's too much) and want them to be the typical top 7/8. Don't care about behind the scenes, the politics, G7 vs DCI, etc. I want to see, if possible, the 7 or 8 best shows rather than 2 or 3 good ones and the rest smaller corps. Nothing against the smaller ones (I marched one), but I'd prefer to see the top shows since money and time are limited.

Exactly why the TOC concept is poison to DCI's future unfortunately.

• Like 1

Nobody should have to be put in a position to have to defend some comment that they never stated to begin with. Not You. Not me. Not anyone. You're a good and decent poster on here, so no harm, no foul.

Oh come on Brasso. You said that the TOC shows were a dud.

I replied with a picture refuting said "dud" status -- with the most important measure of a show's "dud-ness" -- BUTTS IN SEATS.

You promptly *changed* your tack and tried to tie BD's show design choices to the TOC show format:w00t.gif

We have ALL have eaten some crow on DCP -- why are you running so fast from your well-deserved entree? Eat up, my friend. It's not fatal.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

You merged together " appreciate what all these kids do ", and " enjoy what a Corps is performing ". The implication seems to be that you somehow believe that if an audience member does not like a Corps show, he or she does not " appreciate what all these kids do ". With all due respect to your assessment, I reject that observation out of hand. I know lots of audience goers that might dislike a Corps show yet still very much " appreciate what all these kids do ". I'm in that camp as well. I appreciate " what all these kids do ", but I don't enjoy all the Corps shows the same. For me to state that I do would be disingenuous.

I didn't merge that together .... It must be your interpretation. All I'm saying is I didn't need to hear an audience react to what I was doing. I joined just to play in a great group.