Murfreesboro Mayhem

No -- since 2002 it's been about having the top X corps at that show. You might remember -- that's *the* central tenet of the TOC format.

It's also likely that the whole idea behind TOC (the show format) evolved out of this show.

Is that what you heard last night? You might want to have your hearing checked.

My hearing and eyesight are just fine........ I had them checked. The crowd in Murfreesboro is one of the most enthusiastic, appreciative and welcoming that I have either performed for or been a part of. So yes the corps whose pic that you use as your avatar did receive a respectful response from the crowd last night in Murfreesboro. They are known for that. But even a person with less than perfect hearing or eyesight can deny that the response to the Blue Devils this year was tepid at best when compared to that of the corps that proceeded them.

But thanks nonetheless for responding to that very small part of my post.

It's also likely that the whole idea behind TOC (the show format) evolved out of this show.

The TOC format was under discussion for years

The "instant encore" thing was cool - not sure why that isn't happening this year - kept the show moving big time

The finale is fine - just the singing is a bit much for a bunch of drum corps fans. The stuff before the show is good / the warm ups in the market place etc need to be more regular - kids love those

Attendance this year at TOC has been outstanding. But if it is to remain as a format it should be better leveraged as a marketing device for DCI - more integration with local school music programs (ie: tickets at 1/3 cost resold by programs for fundraising, more group sales etc)

Plus better marketing with the local press / not seeing much tv integration unfortunately...

I think one of this misses is the "Random draw" order -- rather they should be ordered by current season ranking - based on most recent TOC events. Detracts from enjoyment and frankly seems to have confused the judges

No -- since 2002 it's been about having the top X corps at that show. You might remember -- that's *the* central tenet of the TOC format.

The " Central tenet " of the TOC as I understand it to be was to " enhance the audience experience ". More than any other factor, the TOC was to engage the audience better... both before, during, and after the show performance. Do you recall this being stated ? The co architect of the TOC concept was David Gibbs , Corps Director of the Blue Devils. This was HIS idea... to allegedly " engage the audience more " with more interactive stuff, performances, and meet and greet, etc and so forth. One naturally assumes then that the on field show performance is THE.. single biggest lynchpin in the whole audience outreach project, no ? If so, since " enhancing the audience experience " was a stated central tenet of the proposal by David Gibbs, what grade would you give David Gibbs and his Blue Devils Corps with " enhancing the audience eperience " last nite over say 2002, 2003, 2004, etc ? ' Just curious, not a flame. I just want to see if you think that David Gibbs is attaining his expressed " audience outreach " here of late, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The " Central tenet " of the TOC as I understand it to be was to " enhance the audience experience ". More than any other factor, the TOC was to engage the audience better... both before, during, and after the show performance. Do you recall this being stated ? The co architect of the TOC concept was David Gibbs , Corps Director of the Blue Devils. This was HIS idea... to allegedly " engage the audience more " with more interactive stuff, performances, and meet and greet and swo forth. One naturally assumes that the on field show performance is THE.. single biggest lynchpin in the outreach, no ? If so, since " enhancing the audience experience " was a stated central tenet of the proposal by David Gibbs, what grade would you give David Gibbs and his Blue Devils Corps with " enhancing the audience eperience " last nite over say 2002, 2003, 2004, etc ?

Not really. Don't take ppt too seriously

And it wasn't Gibb's idea. Not sure where you're getting that from?

It was too stabilize the top corps and better leverage the activity in huge venues for marketing purposes

It's working too. IMHO.

One of the additional benefits of Fan Network is that we can properly gauge... and compare and contrast... the audience reception to a Corps completed show. Last night, we had the advantage that the cameras paned the audience right after the Corps finished its last note. Its all there to see if one wants to watch the audience response to a Corps show. That said, BD staff and MM's don't care about this aspect, so its sort of a mute point with BD MM's staff, alums, etc. And thats fine too. BD doesn't care about audiences, audiences don't particularly care for the BD shows, and so its all good between BD and national coast to coast audiences re. BD as neither one cares what the other thinks re. the BD show.

The reply was to the "complete lack of response" stated in the original post. As you said, it is on Fan Network. I do not consider that a "complete lack of response." Sure, they were more enthusiastic for other corps.

The rest of your post is BS. BD staff and members certainly care about audiences. They have a very large fan base. They want to give the audience something they haven't seen before.

The reply was to the "complete lack of response" stated in the original post. As you said, it is on Fan Network. I do not consider that a "complete lack of response." Sure, they were more enthusiastic for other corps.

The rest of your post is BS. BD staff and members certainly care about audiences. They have a very large fan base. They want to give the audience something they haven't seen before.

Perhaps his language wasn't precise - but compared to Crown, SCV, Cadets and others the response was extremely muted. No it wasn't utter silence - but I don't think that's they were suggesting. It was "completely" clear to anyone listening (even over FN) that the audience response was tepid at best.

It is what it is - OWN IT.

And it wasn't Gibb's idea. Not sure where you're getting that from?

My sources. I believe them to be credible on this. The whole " enhance the audience experience " stated tenet did not orginate from any other Corps Director. That said, if your info has it originating from someone else within the G7, you could share that info with us if you'd like. It was not George Hopkins that put it in as a major tenet goal to " enhance the audience experience " according to my sources.

Edited by BRASSO

The " Central tenet " of the TOC as I understand it to be was to " enhance the audience experience ". More than any other factor, the TOC was to engage the audience better... both before, during, and after the show performance. Do you recall this being stated ? The co architect of the TOC concept was David Gibbs , Corps Director of the Blue Devils. This was HIS idea... to allegedly " engage the audience more " with more interactive stuff, performances, and meet and greet, etc and so forth. One naturally assumes then that the on field show performance is THE.. single biggest lynchpin in the whole audience outreach project, no ? If so, since " enhancing the audience experience " was a stated central tenet of the proposal by David Gibbs, what grade would you give David Gibbs and his Blue Devils Corps with " enhancing the audience eperience " last nite over say 2002, 2003, 2004, etc ? ' Just curious, not a flame. I just want to see if you think that David Gibbs is attaining his expressed " audience outreach " here of late, thats all.

Lol nice try Brasso -- can't win an argument? Change the question.

You stated the TOC format was a dud. CLEARLY the pic shows that it was NOT a flop.

You made no headway there so now you want to conflate an individual corps's programming choices with the TOC.

Sorry try again.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1