Best World Class Guards Ever?

Any cadets guard from the 90s. Special shout out to CBCCG 97 since I haven't seen them mentioned on here. insane level of difficulty.

Also, so many BD guards over the past 25 years once Scott Chandler was there.

I would say Cadets for equipment and BD for movement.

• Like 1

Madison won best guard in 1983. Check that year out as well.

The Cadets 98 guard is probably my favorite program. Even just from a design standpoint, let alone execution (and they I think finished 3rd!).

Ew, they were very dirty, even in Finals. The guy sitting next to me in Orlando was a guard expert (kept asking me about brass all night).. he said, "The corps just won DCI, but the guard ticked way too much." The design of that guard was really wonderful. The "mini flags" and the sideline stuff (that. was. HARD.) rocked! There were just dropped flags, dropped rifles and probably their least uniform silks from them (since 1988). So, re the sheet that year, Content was very high; excellence not so much.

The Cadets 1996!

Funny tale: I was talking to some folks at WGI champs circa 1998, and they asked me to name the best DCI color guard I ever saw. I narrowed it down to Cadets 91, 94, 96... I hemmed, I hawed.. I finally said '96. The guy next to me just so happened to have been in that guard. cool.gif

Edited by Tad_MMA

Ew, they were very dirty, even in Finals. The guy sitting next to me in Orlando was a guard expert (kept asking me about brass all night).. he said, "The corps just won DCI, but the guard ticked way too much." The design of that guard was really wonderful. The "mini flags" and the sideline stuff (that. was. HARD.) rocked! There were just dropped flags, dropped rifles and probably their least uniform silks from them (since 1988). So, re the sheet that year, Content was very high; excellence not so much.

Funny tale: I was talking to some folks at WGI champs circa 1998, and they asked me to name the best DCI color guard I ever saw. I narrowed it down to Cadets 91, 94, 96... I hemmed, I hawed.. I finally said '96. The guy next to me just so happened to have been in that guard. cool.gif

Funny about the 1996 thing.

I understand what you're saying about the ticks in the 1998 show. I know the silks at the end had synch problems, and I can picture the sabre drop at the end -- but I'll still take that guard over most :)