Best World Class Guards Ever?

Cadets '98 doesn't get that much love but they're as strong as any. BD '99 was a machine, so was 2001 if you ask me! Recently I love SCV from this year and BD 2009.

Suncoast '88 really changes the rules of the game!!!

Cadets '98 doesn't get that much love but they're as strong as any. BD '99 was a machine, so was 2001 if you ask me! Recently I love SCV from this year and BD 2009.

Suncoast '88 really changes the rules of the game!!!

The Cadets 98 guard is probably my favorite program. Even just from a design standpoint, let alone execution (and they I think finished 3rd!).

Agreed on BD's 1999 line. I'm a big fan of Cavies 2000, too.

Don't forget Cadets 1991. The flag work in the opener was amazing. It's no secret that April's guards are my favorite (throw in Star 1993 and Cavies 2007 for some wow). 1994 had SO much going on, and that guard's integration in the drill is incomparable (especially for how they performed).

"Don't make me hurt you today."

--A.G.

I'm glad someone mentioned Cavs 2007. I feel like their work that year keeps being overlooked.

Here are some good old school guards that, in my opinion, are excellent and worthy to check out:

Phantom Regiment 1978 through 1983

27th Lancers 1979-'81

Madison Scouts 1980-'82

Santa Clara Vanguard 1978-'81

Guardsmen 1979

That Guardsmen CG was great.

Blue Devils '82 - so innovative and different for the time

Cadet's '83 - a perfect visual reflection of the show - extremely classy and elegant

Vanguard '85 - Just so great all around that year

Spirit '86 - What a great guard (the Georgia Brown stuff was so cool)

Suncoast '88 - a very different approach to guard that year

Cadets '93 - One of the best flag features at the end of the opener and killer rifle work

Star '93 - made even more phenomenal by the fact that up until then, they did not have a good guard program

Cavies '94 - Rituals !

Cavies '95 - The Planets

Bluecoats '95 - another huge improvement from the years before - this show rocked - so clean!!!!

Phantom '96 - the red dress year - stellar color guard. The flag solo in the first hit in a genius idea !

BD - 99 the entire guard on rifle and sabre - ridiculously good

Cavies '00 - Niagara Falls

Vanguard '00 - very underrated - but such a great guard that year

Cadets '01 - all around great guard that year with an awesome dance feature

Phantom Regiment 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 - they've had some strong guards recently

Cadets 05 - The mirror work in the ballad is gorgeous

Bluecoats 05 - Caravan - strong guard that year

Crown - Every year from 2003 on - one of the strongest guard programs (in my opinion) out there

Vanguard 2013 - one of their strongest guard programs ever!

I'm sure I forgot a ton - but these are the ones that popped up to my mind immediately

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Some not mentioned yet: BD 2003, esp. Near the end of the opener with all the form changes in the flag block.Vanguard 2002 had probably the fastest work I've seen. Only thing I didn't like we're the boxes.

These weren't the best, but sure did things that I'd never seen prior to that.

Cadets early 1990s (as others have already mentioned) gets my vote. Great design & extremely high level of performance.

Also, PR's 1993 guard book sticks out as exceptional. I believe this book struck the perfect balance between movement and equipment. I'm a huge fan of dance/ modern dance, but sometimes, on the drum corps field, too much dance can seem like busy work and superfluous, and/ or can't be fully appreciated. Also, this guard complemented the music and show so well. Some of the guard work received really big audience responses not just for the work itself, but also because it was so well coordinated with the overall show design and music.

As for Suncoast Sound...I can see what posters are saying about them, but wasn't this more of an overall design effort than necessarily innovation in the guard caption? I don't particularly recall the guard being that revolutionary... what sticks out more is the soloist and the entire show design/ construction being more "winter guard" like.

Edited by ordsw24

The Cadets 1996!

• Like 1