Allentown 2013

nvm

Edited by saxfreq1128

Ah that makes some sense to me. Operas by minimalist composers were never my forte and I really wasn't that familiar with Einstein on the Beach until this year and I thank Crown for that (and also Blue Stars for getting me into Nixon in China).

Yeah, Blue Stars' Nixon in China stuff was outstanding. :thumbup:

I have to give some credit to them for trying to be true to the Opera though it still feels to me to be a weaker part of the design of the show but at least now I can see what they were trying to do.

I agree with you that it's a weakness in terms of the show design. I do think the counting in the percussion feature is pretty incredible. But the ballad... I like that part of EotB so much that I think I give it a pass that I wouldn't had I not been familiar with the material already. So I'm not a good judge of it. But I can totally understand why people would dislike it or even that it could ruin the show for people.

• Like 1

Exactly. They already have the sperm and uterus in the drill. Makes perfect sense. And ties in to 2001's theme at the same time.

But then it would be the 2001 show instead of an E=MC2 show.

BD should totally do a 2001 show. Whenever people are comparing the reaction to BD's show with the reaction to Rite of Spring in 1913, etc, blah blah, I often think of 2001. How it's technically proficient, extremely thought provoking, boring as hell, ends bizarrely, and many people who see it hate it--yet it's applauded by critics as a great piece of art. The Monolith would make a great prop, as well.

I guess if you believe that, then BD '10 was a ripoff of SCV '85. Same idea. Apparently that matters to you, so there you go.

Lol, no it isn't the same as 1985 SCV. Doing a "magic trick" isn't the ripoff. Having people run thru a tunnel and change clothes isn't the ripoff. The ripoff is having someone go into a "doorway" and reappear as if "teleported" from another "doorway" somewhere else on the field. That is a pretty specific theme that was used REALLY recently. With your broad interpretation you could boil anything down to being a ripoff...both corps have uniforms? RIPOFF! Both shows are marched by humans? RIPOFF! Both corps are created from the same basic building blocks of nature? RIPOFF!

This is a very specific theme of "guy enters portal and is teleported and comes out other portal instantly". That is a VERY specific idea that looks like it is being completely ripped off. But hey, put on your purple blinders and try to not see what is right in front of you.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree.

And, I'll add in a slight diversion for all the conspiracy theorists out there that, politically, it makes sense, too. If there is judging collusion to slot based on inside-DCI political winds, this might be Crown's year. January wasn't that long ago.

I, personally, think they don't have to worry about the marketing strategies of DCI or its politics. I think they'll win it on their own.

Like I said, a month ago, I would've agreed with you, because Crown indisputably had the best show on the field a month ago.

I'll put it another way. If "For the Common Good" wasn't a DCI champion, I'm not sure it's safe to say "E = MC^2" will be. Partially because of the competition: "Re:Rite of Spring" > "Cabaret Voltaire," and Cadets this year definitely > Cadets last year. I don't feel that way about Crown, to be honest. FTCG was more of a powerhouse, to me.

Then again, percussion notwithstanding, I bet EMC2 will be a cleaner show that FTCG was, which is kind of what matters the most right now. I think they'll need to be really, really clean to win, though. Like... "Stonehenge" clean. If they give us a "Four Corners," game over, BD wins.

• Like 2

Like I said, a month ago, I would've agreed with you, because Crown indisputably had the best show on the field a month ago.

I'll put it another way. If "For the Common Good" wasn't a DCI champion, I'm not sure it's safe to say "E = MC^2" will be. Partially because of the competition: "Re:Rite of Spring" > "Cabaret Voltaire," and Cadets this year definitely > Cadets last year. I don't feel that way about Crown, to be honest. FTCG was more of a powerhouse, to me.

Then again, percussion notwithstanding, I bet EMC2 will be a cleaner show that FTCG was, which is kind of what matters the most right now. I think they'll need to be really, really clean to win, though. Like... "Stonehenge" clean. If they give us a "Four Corners," game over, BD wins.

I still stand buy my previous posts that this is 2008 Part 2 and Crown is going to win Finals by a slim margin just so that DCI can reap the benefits of the emotional, yet incorrect, placement. Mark my words...Crown wins Finals guaranteed.

• Like 1

I still stand buy my previous posts that this is 2008 Part 2 and Crown is going to win Finals by a slim margin just so that DCI can reap the benefits of the emotional, yet incorrect, placement. Mark my words...Crown wins Finals guaranteed.

"Back, and to the left... Back, and to the left..." :tongue:

• Like 2

Doh. Double post. Argh slow DCP.

Edited by IMcomguy