Carolina Crown Narration

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Crown's narration?

2. 2. Do you think Crown's narration is effective?

The counting IS the music (though they use different music), and the narration is (for the most part) in the original. It is the music. I would be like doing "Short Ride" without the gock block or better yet, "Lincoln Portrait" with out the narration (Though Royal Brigade did it with out the narration and it was good, back in the day).

It would be like doing "Adagio for Strings" without the strings! Oh, wait.

• Like 1

I voted No to both questions. Personally I have yet to hear narration that has ever "added" to a show. For me, it always detracts.

The whole argument about it being in the source material doesn't hold water for me either - drum corps are not performing the original works. They are translating it to a marching medium and as such, some things make sense and some don't. Les Miserables is a Broadway show where the songs are all sung, but we aren't wishing SCV had a vocalist for each song because that would be "from the original".

The most likely reason SCV did not include singing is because Boston already did a Les Miz show (last year in fact) that included singing ...

so it would've been a bit of a "been there done that" even more than it already is...

If something doesn't move someone, I don't think they can honestly call it "effective".

(Which is not a comment specifically about this narration.)

I can't really argue with this though I think it's a matter of what your definition of effective is. I was trying to say more to the point that even if you don't like the narration try and think about whether it is effective or not in general. It may not be effective to you (general you not you specifically) but it still could be making the show better whether you like it or not.

:worthy:/>

Why would you feel compelled to think you should or could tell people what opinion to have (I think it is brilliant,. Y'all need to stop complaining, get your head out of the "drum corps box" and start looking at this medium as more than just good band like it used to be). And you also what to tell others how they should or should not view Drum Corps? Really ? So nice to see how open minded to other perspectives you are. Can I assume you’re still single. LOL

Still, the words came across as trite (lack of freshness, non-believable due to lack of passionate enunciation); and if that is the way the original source material meant it to be then the source material is the problem.

Absolutely cringe-worthy. I almost felt embarrassed for the narrator at having to read those lines.

• Like 1

Wow. Surprising how many people are seemingly unfamiliar with Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach!

And there is a D**n good reason for that; who, other than the intellectual MENSA wanna-be elite, wants to sit listening throgh the many, many, many hours of the trilogy the way Glass intended! :tongue:

Why would you feel compelled to think you should or could tell people what opinion to have (I think it is brilliant,. Y'all need to stop complaining, get your head out of the "drum corps box" and start looking at this medium as more than just good band like it used to be). And you also what to tell others how they should or should not view Drum Corps? Really ? So nice to see how open minded to other perspectives you are. Can I assume you're still single. LOL

I'm not telling anyone they have to like or dislike anything. I'm just encouraging people to try and view DCI through a different lens than they used to. One thing we can all agree on: the activity has changed. If you try to view it through a 1970's, 1980's, or 1990's lens, of course you'll hate it. I figure this would all be more enjoyable if we all try to like DCI as it is rather than hate it. It changed, why shouldn't we?

Edited by old skool drmmr

the counting is fine. the stuff in the ballad....dear god why????

Bingo!

I am not a fan of narration but understand why it is used. Look at how the Mandarins use it. It is necessary to understand the story and when used is mostly during transitions or pauses in the music. Crowns narration lasts throughout the entire abyss ballad. Instead of being drawn into what I believe is a beautiful musical moment each time the narration starts I go back to reality and loose the moment.

Narration can either add or detract from the show.

Edited by mountaineers97
  • Like 1