Really? What's the message here?

Grasping for straws in order to hate or disparage George Hopkins seems to be quite the past time around here...

Hate away! :thumbup:/>

Chicken. :tongue:/>

It's a spade, George, not a club. And no amount of your saying "well, it's black so it's a club" is going to change that.

• Like 1

Good Lord, I've had to defend Hop twice in a season.

This isn't being a poor loser, or belittiling other corps. He can be very dynamic in person, especially if you buy what he's selling.

Butyes, the man needs a PR coach in the worst way. Here we are a few days after finals, and his words are being twisted in a way that takes focus of the kids great year, and puts it on him.

I dunno Jeff,.......twisted words or not,..........he puts the focus on himself. The only thing a good PR coach could do is take his comments and actions down from hardball to softball, maybe even mushball,.........but the thought process and basis of the message and actions remains a constant.

• Like 2

Every year - George is George

Every year - people like to complain about George

Every year - people who know George or who marched in the corps he directs come to his defense

2013 is no different

He's run the corps for 30 years now. Whom else can say the same thing?

I hope The Cadets did something to acknowledge his 30th anniversary.

Next year will be the same. George will #### off/inspire people and people will comment.

• Like 1

Well he wasn't, and if you take the time to read the series of facebook/blog posts this season it's clear he wasn't. But folks are going to believe what they want to believe.

But the thing is, I know Hopkins and other Cadet staff have made a point of teaching corps lessons and life lessons, and drawing the connection between the two, for many years. In trying to convince us that his quote was not dismissive toward the learnings at other corps, you want us to believe it was dismissive toward the learnings at his own corps in past seasons?

he run over your cat or something?...lol :tongue:/>

Many of the great directors over the years have walked the trac. Maybe not as many now but some still do. Hes just the most visable and maybe well known. Ya think maybe he's just proud of his corps?

Does he also love attention? sure, so what, it's his corps let him do what he wants. I'm not defending him at all and know him very well, BUT I just don't really care enough about him to care what he does on the trac or anywhere else. :smile:/>

I'm not a cat person.

No, I'm afraid you're wrong. After seeing Hop pacing on Thursday night I made it a point on Friday and Saturday to watch the sidelines for any staff pacing as George does. I saw no one - not a single director - pacing just off the sideline.

(I saw Bob Jacobs in the stands in row one with his feet up and his arm across the seat next to him, obviously enjoying all that his kids produced.)

The only other staff display I could find was the guy from BAC (who got some negative press here a couple of weeks back) standing at the top of the 100's section, flailing his arms around and screaming at the top of his lungs (as if his corps could either see or hear him!).

George is the only staff member I saw who paced the sidelines like a zoo animal testing his cage for weakness. One person from the crowd around me commented that he looked like a hippy going in for his first job interview and practicing his lines outside the office door.

• Like 1

he's still not going to hire you....lmao :tongue:/> but kidding aside ..youre right...also don't people get it that the more you talk about a person the more power they gain, ( or at least keeps them up front in the lime light )and I think we all know he might like that a bit :smile:/>

no need to joke, I'll not be sending a resume there.

But here's the other thing...Hop has NEVER been afraid to come right and discuss his feelings on judging. EVER. Remember the great GE rants from how long ago?

The beauty of George is he says whats on his mind, and he doesn't mince words. The problem is that usually gets him into trouble.

give me a BREAK.

Let's not search for reasons to bash someone - he was talking about his "other corps" -- and if you don't want to believe it then go to his facebook page and read the complete context. Throughout the season (and final week) he mentioned this SEVERAL different ways and times.

Sounds like you just want someone to hate on.

Give you a break? Perhaps the OP should have posted the whole thing. I'm not a facebook user or fan and have no reason to even go there. Maybe what you say is true, maybe not. All I can do is read what is here and respond to it how I like. :tongue:

Edited by cavie95

Jeff: I tend to fall on the side presented by Garfield. Hop has a rather narcissistic bent which thus creates the situation you are calling '... a need for a PR coach'. And this bent really shows through when engaging in conversation with him for any length of time; his words of praise may be directed toward the youth, and he quite possibly may mean those words, but his tone of voice, his demeanor, et al does bleed with narcissism. Not saying that this is a good or bad thing (Donald Trump has the same narcissistic tendencies and he is ultra successful); just saying that Hop is pretty much the 180* opposite of the way Jim Jones related to the youth of the Troopers.

Stu,

When he gives is speeches, lectures etc, he's in salesman mode. And if you want to be good in sales, you have to have some narcissism in there. I know, I'm in sales.

:tongue:/>

Remember when George is talking, it's all about the Cadets,....which is why everything in YEA exists...to further the Cadets. C2...to grow the Cadets. USBands or whatever it's name is this year.....those bands pay a ton of money...don't think the judges see even half of it...where does it go? The Cadets. So while Hop is "preaching" as people call it, you have to k now the bottom line is he is selling you The Cadets.

It's like the preacher on Sunday. he's selling you his version of God, and hey, please put $20 in the offering plate when it goes around. Well, Hop's goal is to fund the Cadets, and all of the other entities are set up to support that mission.

• Like 1

George has been the front person willing to put down the ideas on paper (however poorly written), but he is hardly the one and only person 'changing DCI '. In fact, IMO he is not really the primary mover and shaker behind the scenes in coming up with some of the new rules, but he certainly is the one front and center in the public eye.

He's the one responsible for putting amplification into the activity so yes, he gets the target. Way too many extreme rule changes all in the sake of making things 'fun' or bringing in more fans.

ok....I agree...and?...most of this activity is full of ego from top to bottom...so his is a little bigger..ok huge..lol

but...what no one else will say is...his is the most visible. Thing Gibbs or Feidler don't have some healthy sized egos?

But they hide theirs.

• Like 1