6th place drumline

Curious how many people who think that winning the title with a 6th place line that was down 0.55 in total score from the 1st place line, also think that the 2008 Blue Devils should have won with a 5th place line that was down 0.425 in total score from the 1st place line? If so, what is the acceptable A) Line placement, or B) Total score delta from the winning line, that is satisfactory for a 1st place corps?

Edited by Tim Coffey
  • Like 2

As to the topic: it's simple math. They didn't drum the best, but they marched, blew, spun, and designed well enough to make up for it. Not that complicated.

Amen Nick! I suppose there is no getting around the fact that to some, the earth is off its axis when BD doesn't win. Not to all, but to "some." And within that "some," there seems to be a few who may be on the verge of hurting themselves. Sad, really.

What a ride this season was!

• Like 1

Visually Crown was GREAT and brass obviously OUTSTANDING - but I (personally) just couldn't get that excited listening to the "complete package" because I didn't think there was one.

It's also interesting that folks have to go back 30 years or more to "justify" the low caption result in drums... as obviously the judges sheets and expectations have shifted wildly since then. So it illustrates how rare this unbalanced of a Champion we crown.

Percussion is only 10% of the final score. As for unbalanced, Cadets were fourth in visual across the board, except color guard which was fifth. And BD was third in music across the board except for a second in percussion. The only caption Crown had lower than 2nd was percussion. So yes, Crown was unbalanced, but only in one caption. BD and Cadets had much broader weaknesses.

• Like 2

I'll also ask. Where is this tape?!?

Poke around in some of the big DCI forums on Facebook. It's linked in several of them (e.g. "DCI Snares"). It's probably not kosher to link directly to it here, given the DCP media policy.

Percussion is only 10% of the final score. As for unbalanced, Cadets were fourth in visual across the board, except color guard which was fifth. And BD was third in music across the board except for a second in percussion. The only caption Crown had lower than 2nd was percussion. So yes, Crown was unbalanced, but only in one caption. BD and Cadets had much broader weaknesses.

I guess what some of us are saying is MAYBE percussion should be more than 10% of the score given that we are DRUM and bugle corps. For me - it took a lot away from the performance.

• Like 1

I guess what some of us are saying is MAYBE percussion should be more than 10% of the score given that we are DRUM and bugle corps. For me - it took a lot away from the performance.

So should color guard not count at all, since the words do not appear in "Drum and Bugle Corps"?

Edited by Tim Coffey
  • Like 1

George, are you a percussionist? Would you know inverted cheese from fla-fla's?

Is it really reasonable to believe that a 1 point differential in one caption can affect one's enjoyment of the "total package" as you suggest? I say not, and especially not if you don't flam-six's from a 6-inch legato stick stroke.

I appreciate the warm words of congrats for Crown's achievement at the end of most of your posts; it's just that they ring hollow when you precede them with puffed-out-chest critiques that always seem to bolster your opinion that your favorite corps does this, that, or the "total package" better than everyone else.

EDIT: And isn't it a little disingenous that you think percussion should be weighted more in the overall scoring (and I'm a percussionist so I agree with you) when your suggestion comes in a year when it would bolster your opinion that the winner shouldn't have won?

Would you have been promoting such a judging change when your favorite corps was placing 5th or 6th in drums?

Edited by garfield

As to the topic: it's simple math. They didn't drum the best, but they marched, blew, spun, and designed well enough to make up for it. Not that complicated.

yup. and as predicted, MA wasn't affected because Crown's issues were field level issues, not upstairs.

now i listened to the trumpet cam or whatever it was...and man that didn't do the battery any favors.

• Like 1

I am listening to Cadets drum tape. Wow! really clean.

I like a lot of the synth work. might as well because it's here to stay!

link? Those open rolls...OMG!!!