what corps are you auditioning for for the 2014 season?

I know its a tad bit early but what corp or corps are you auditioning for in the fall and on what instrument? I'm auditioning for the bluecoats (my dream corp) on bari/euph. I don't plan on making it this year and its more for experience but I'm not going to just crap all over it either!!

Even if you don't make it, you'll learn a lot. We also help kids who just miss the cut get into other brasslines. There really is nothing to lose when auditioning for the Bluecoats. Best of luck!

• Like 3

An acquaintance of mine told me that Blue Stars front ensemble had zero ageouts in the front ensemble. Pretty intimidating. Although if this was the only reason I would still be going to an audition for them.

2 ageouts in the front ensemble at Blue Stars. There may be a spot for you. :) During this year I watched great improvement due to excellent teachers. Good Luck!

---t

I wanted to do a summer with crossmen, troopers, or Oregon crusaders but I live in Ohio and I don't really have the funds to travel once a month. I barely have the funds to even join a corp. Glassmen is inactive right now so I can't even consider them either so I'm kind of stuck.

Don't forget Blue Stars. They rehearse in Indianapolis and even if you live in eastern Ohio that's not too ridiculous of a drive. Also give Legends a look up in Michigan. A year of experience in an Open Class corps goes waaaaayyy further when auditioning for a corps like Bluecoats than staying home.

• Like 1

I won't be, but my baby girl (well, not so much anymore sad.gif ) has her mind set on Vanguard Cadets.

Randy-- that's great! She can march with Dennis's son who just finished his first season with SCVC (Dennis marched '83 VF and SCV afterward.)

Randy-- that's great! She can march with Dennis's son who just finished his first season with SCVC (Dennis marched '83 VF and SCV afterward.)

Very cool. I'll have to let him know!

2 ageouts in the front ensemble at Blue Stars. There may be a spot for you. :) During this year I watched great improvement due to excellent teachers. Good Luck!

---t

Actually just one! The center marimba was the only age-out, but there's still plenty of room, since I don't think every one of them will be back. I certainly hope so, though. If the pit features from Blue Stars this year were any indication, that group (if they stick together) will be a force to be reckoned with next summer.

Last year I auditioned for BD and SCV. I aced both music auditions and failed both visuals. The auditions (and following this season) have made me decide that this year am only auditioning for SCV. An I am ready for the visual part of the audition! Good luck to everyone.

Can you describe to this DC dino what takes place in a visual audition in today's day & age? Drill downs and so forth? Dance technique? It can't be high mark time technique or at least too much of it because no one does HMT any more. I come from a time where a successful visual audition consisted of being able to put your shoes on the correct feet (thank god for color-coded permanent markers!) and walking erect so I am a bit out of touch.

The staff will usually go through a stretch/warmup regimen to see who can follow instructions and whatnot. It's also a good indicator of athletic ability (or potential of it anyway).

Then they'll go through part of the visual program. Where I marched, it was dance-based so we started with ballet basics and went from there. BD camps are probably more accelerated, as we didn't get all the way to jazz running for a couple camps.

I don't remember actually learning the forward march technique until move-ins my rookie year. For some (maybe most? but I doubt it) corps it's more important to move well first than march well first.