On the topic of SCV's show design

SCV had by far the most enjoyable show for me personally this year. The style of their show was just something that I personally care a lot for. I am a recent fan of drum corps (within the last 5 years) and others call this type of show more vintage compared to others. I know that Vanguard's hornline could have been stronger and it seems to be a general consensus that their music arrangers across the board under cut the talent that the corps had (thus the lower content scores throughout the season).

My questions are: this next year can the Vanguard maintain their "vintage" style while performing a harder book that scores better with the judges?

Or do the sheets today only reward innovative envelope pushers?

Personally I would rather see a similar style/design of show rather than pulling away from this to score higher.

I've posted this in a couple other topics but I'm hoping for another remake of Phantom of the Opera to celebrate the 25th anniversary since they won with the show in '89

• Like 1

a JD remake of phantom would be orgasmic....

• Like 2

I've posted this in a couple other topics but I'm hoping for another remake of Phantom of the Opera to celebrate the 25th anniversary since they won with the show in '89

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand a modern (SCV modern) full-out rendition of this could be great. But they just used Phantom of the Opera music last year in Music of the Starry night.

do the sheets today only reward innovative envelope pushers?

More so than performance execution.

Also..Shows on the field in summer competition are essentially designed by adults who are then evaluated by other adults. Show Design points permeates pretty much all the captions. If an adult puts a dog of a show together in the offseason, its a dog at Finals, no matter how well its executed regarding where the judges are going to place it.

That said, what is appealing to audiences is entirely in their domain and is not subject at all to execution levels, talent levels, levels of demand and complexity in the show, judging sheets points, and so forth. Audiences have more basic needs that can be satisfied either emotionally or intellectually with a show performance, although it helps more, imo, to connect more emotionally with most audiences with the show. SCV had this is spades this year with audiences. Who knows what the staff decides to do for 2014. I hope they found this year's audience response satisfying, asnd don't go wobbly on us and get weird and bizarre in hopes of moving up. Few people buy tickets to shows to give a Corps a golf clap. They WANT to like a Corps show. The more shows they like, the merrier.

Edited by BRASSO

More so than performance execution.

Also..Shows on the field in summer competition are essentially designed by adults who are then evaluated by other adults. Show Design points permeates pretty much all the captions. If an adult puts a dog of a show together in the offseason, its a dog at Finals, no matter how well its executed regarding where the judges are going to place it.

That said, what is appealing to audiences is entirely in their domain and is not subject at all to execution levels, talent levels, levels of demand and complexity in the show, judging sheets points, and so forth. Audiences have more basic needs that can be satisfied either emotionally or intellectually with a show performance, although it helps more, imo, to connect more emotionally with most audiences with the show. SCV had this is spades this year with audiences. Who knows what the staff decides to do for 2014. I hope they found this year's audience response satisfying, asnd don't go wobbly on us and get weird and bizarre in hopes of moving up. Few people buy tickets to shows to give a Corps a golf clap. They WANT to like a Corps show. The more shows they like, the merrier.

Well from what I've seen this season, their design was what primarily was holding them back score-wise. Especially early to mid season percussion was going back and forth with BD and Cadets (I believe SCV's guard was high in score too). Almost all their captions had high achievement scores and low (in comparison) content scores.

I feel like the talent/achievement was there. So I guess another question I have is, is the low content score difficulty oriented or is there some other reason they were scored low there?

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand a modern (SCV modern) full-out rendition of this could be great. But they just used Phantom of the Opera music last year in Music of the Starry night.

You say that as if they hadn't done Phantom of the Opera the year before they won with it in 1989.

It was really only music design that held fhem back, vis was right up there with bd and crown. Of course depending on the judges.

But the problem with their music content was less about the arrangement and more about the source material. They had to beef up their show so much for it to be competitive.

I am mixed on them doing a straight up phantom of the opera show again. While i love the show, it wouldn't win today. And the problem with most musicals is that you will have to beef up the material a lot. I dont think a corps has to be intellectual or abstract in order to win. And with another offseason dci can continue to work out the kinks on the judges sheets.

Regardless of what they do, they have talent. The goal now is to be cleaner sooner. Going up against BD out of the gate is tough every yearso it would be nice this season to see them start out winning or within a point of BD. Regardless of the show.

You say that as if they hadn't done Phantom of the Opera the year before they won with it in 1989.

Sorry, like I've mentioned I'm a newer drum corps fan. If I had seen 89 knowing they had done it the year before it probably would have bothered me in the back of my mind a little bit.