DCI's Facebook page

I pulled up DCI's Facebook page and noticed:

first section had about 300 posts, most were congrats to Crown.

Mixed in were:

19 Fix the webcast and a few "put it back on PBS"

15 Glad BD didn't win

14 Judges got it right

10 BD scored too high

9 Fix the judging

9 SCV scored too low

5 BD robbed - (reviewing the posts these were all one person)

And a few posts lamenting the direction of the activity - back to old school, voice, electronics, etc.

Also within the Crown posts are many "Finally" and "It's about time they won", which to me may have other implications-

1. The poster accepts the previous judging - Crown has been close, but not quite good enough.

2. The poster rejects the previous judging - Crown has been close, but the judges got it wrong. Crown should have won.

The next section was all about the webcast, scores shown live, web site, all failing to operate. Another roughly 300 posts all about "epic failure." Many calls for putting it back on TV.

I would think FB posts are valuable to a company in that they are a spontaneous, truthful statement of how people feel.

It is clear they need to address the technology issue.

It is also clear that in a "national audience" ($1 to Brasso) one can't deny the existence of ABBD.

Judging issues need to be continually addressed - neg posts = 28 (sum of : BD too high, fix the judging, SCV too low)

Your thoughts?

Certainly there is some ABBD sentiment out there. Some of it is just the usual dislike of the default champion or of BD in particular. A lot of it, though, I'd wager MOST of it, is that Blue Devils' shows these past few years just really are failing to connect with the audience. A lot of people find the shows confusing and bizarre. When someone watches finals and can enjoy every show but one, and then *that* show wins, it's very confusing and makes the whole thing a lot less enjoyable.

• Like 2

I remember when it used to be ABG. Anybody But Garfield. This appears to happen when any Corps gets on a roll like Blue Devils have been on recently. Seem to remember it with The Cavaliers as well last decade.

• Like 2

Sort of how the Yankees or Miami Heat get hate, the winning team will always get hate. It's a part of any competitive activity. Different things can affect it (Who plays on the team / What show they are performing) but the main issue that people have is that they are winning so much.

Edited by jdmello
  • Like 1

I remember when it used to be ABG. Anybody But Garfield. This appears to happen when any Corps gets on a roll like Blue Devils have been on recently. Seem to remember it with The Cavaliers as well last decade.

It was different with The Cavaliers though ... I don't think very many fans deny the genius designs of Michael Gaines, so I think people were enjoying seeing such complicated shows really push the limits of marching/drill.

The biggest difference with BD is like others have said ... the shows just don't connect with the audience. The kids execute very well but it's a lot of dissonance and running around with props.

• Like 3

The Cavaliers still connected with the audience when they won during the 2000's.

• Like 2

Sort of how the Yankees or Miami Heat get hate, the winning team will always get hate. It's a part of any competitive activity. Different things can affect it (Who plays on the team / What show they are performing) but the main issue that people have is that they are winning so much.

Yankees get hate even when they don't win. Why? Because baseball has no salary cap and they steal players with their $.

Miami Heat got hate prior to their winning two recent titles because Lebron left Cleveland in a crappy fashion to join an 'all-star' team. It was more about him than the team.