Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

My point wasn't about weekly church-goers. It was about administration, design and teaching staff willing to spend their entire summer on the road with the corps. You will not find many people that have the talent and experience to make that drum corps competitively successful, let alone a "top tier staff" without spending a truck load of money. Sure, they will be able to find some inexperienced folks willing to do it for free, but few with any real experience or ability. It will be a classic case of "you get what you pay for".

Also, there's a HUGE difference between a church-funded corps and a church-run corps. The former MIGHT have a chance, but the latter wouldn't.

My point wasn't about weekly church goes either. In fact I did not mention them. I only mentioned the professionals that provide their services to the church. Services for which they are normally handsomely paid (ok, probably not teachers). If you are thinking the relative experience in their profession that these these volunteers posses is not "top tier" you would be wrong.

The big issue in attracting quality people, whether a Christian organization or not, is how serious that organization is about the product they are going to put on the field. If they put the appropriate resources in to equipment, infrastructure and logistics they will attract top talent. In short, it must be a well run organization with more than a shoe string budget.

The big issue in attracting quality people, whether a Christian organization or not, is how serious that organization is about the product they are going to put on the field. If they put the appropriate resources in to equipment, infrastructure and logistics they will attract top talent. In short, it must be a well run organization with more than a shoe string budget.

Agreed. It also wouldn't take too much to put a reasonable Open Class corps on the field. You could do that with a few local volunteer staff as well. It's when you get into the larger, touring corps that the resources, including staff pay, become much more important.

Maybe Tom Cruise could fund a Scientology corps.

They could play the music of Chick Corea...

Edited by rlrr
  • Like 1

1974 Finneyviile Crusaders did a whole show of chistian or gospel music including church &minster ,got to see them at the U.S. open Marion Ohio ,again at the Key to the Sea in Toeledo and DCI Whitewater it was a fun show and the audeance loved them.

At my church the professional TV production director does not laugh in our face, he volunteers and produces our in house and TV broadcasts.

At my church several professional educators do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to put together youth teaching curriculum and teach hundreds of kids per week.

At my church several professional musicians do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to perform at 4 service per week plus two evenings of rehearsal.

At my church I, a professional owner of an IT services company, do not laugh in their face, instead I volunteer my time to run a computer network and phone system with a hundred or so computers spread out at 4 locations.

I believe many would be shocked at the number, quality and enthusiasm of volunteers that a Christian based group would be able to garner.

-kg

Nobody is denying the 'at my church' volunteer situation. Question: Would you volunteer your IT services 'at your job' if say that job was Lead Tech for Word Entertainment, Inc which is a Christian based corporation? Or, would you command the fair market value for your experience and your services? I mean Word Entertainment, Inc is 'for the Lord' is it not? And when it is 'for the Lord' it is not about money, right?

The Oak Forest Patriots (IL) were from a Christian Academy, and they were active in the early 1990s.

I need to pay better attention. I lived the first 39 years of my life just a dozen miles away...up until 1995...and was never aware of that.

Nobody is denying the 'at my church' volunteer situation. Question: Would you volunteer your IT services 'at your job' if say that job was Lead Tech for Word Entertainment, Inc which is a Christian based corporation? Or, would you command the fair market value for your experience and your services? I mean Word Entertainment, Inc is 'for the Lord' is it not? And when it is 'for the Lord' it is not about money, right?

I do not know anything about Word Entertainment so in this example I will replace them with a generic "Christian based organization named OrgX with whom I have no fundamental disagreements in philosophy or tactics". If I were to provide services to OrgX it would most likely be pro-bono. Why? Because I am of the personal belief that I do not want to make money doing God's work. He has blessed me with the talents I posses and it is my honor and privilege to give back to Him That is the choice I make for myself and I do not find fault in others for taking a salary or payment from the church for the services they provide. If my sole job was to work for OrgX I would of course need to draw some sort of salary. I would expect that salary to be less than I would make in the private sector.

Getting to the crux of the matter. Do I think all involved in a Christian based drum corps would volunteer their time? No. Would many? Yes. Therefore I disagree with Kamarag's assumption that it would take more money than usual to attract design and teaching talent to such an endevour. I contend it would take less money because many would be willing to discount or give away their services if they believe doing so meets the objective of "Go and make disciples" or any other objective their personal beliefs about Christianity make as their calling.

-kg

I contend it would take less money because many would be willing to discount or give away their services if they believe doing so meets the objective of "Go and make disciples" or any other objective their personal beliefs about Christianity make as their calling.

While there will no doubt be *some* who would give away their time and effort, I think you'd be shocked to find out just how many of the best designers and instructors are either atheist or have little interest in religion/faith at all. Especially when you factor in the bigotry, homophobia and far right-leaning politics of most churches (note I said most, and not all).

We have to be careful when discussing politics and religion here in too much detail lest the mods start deleting posts again, but I think this is within the rules, at worst toeing the line.

• Like 3

Stating the absolutely obvious... The overwhelming majority of design talent out there does not exactly see eye to eye with evangelical Christians (see which side of prop 8 debate they might've been on.. And there's your answer).

As a result, an organization like this would never be something that would place anywhere above the lower echelon of open class.

I honestly can't think of anyone with sufficient experience that would design for a Christian group. You would find people, certainly, but they wouldn't be good.

I also imagine that audience reaction would be much less positive than you might expect. Demographics for drum corps don't really overlap well.

• Like 5