Let's pretend this happened.....what do you think would happen in

Most people don't notice it.

If we're talking newly made horns.... ditto.....

What's the difference between a current Kanstul G and current Kanstul Bb? (Too lazy to eyeball the spec pages...)

Edit: The difference at DCA is....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Interesting. I'm thinking they're blown away with the volume. Huh? You guys that posted before - are you from the G era or not? Be honest.

I started marching in 1964 and stopped in 1972...taught and judged in the GSC in the mid/late 70's to around 1980.

The volume from the contemporary hornlines is due far more to the desired sounds the staff wants to create than the hardware used to create it. And...the changes made in marching Bb/F horn manufacturing has gone a long way to eliminate whatever difference there was in the volume from G horns and modern Bb/F horns based on hardware alone...all of this IMO, of course.

• Like 2

Whatever tendencies that particular corps has for their sound (i.e. - that corps' "signature sound") outweighs the difference between the Bb/G sound, and basically no one notices. Except DCP, which swears by a difference.

• Like 1

I'm borrowing this thought from another DCP member's post. A corps (pick whoever you want, the poster said Troopers), comes out and performs on G bugles. What happens in the stands?

Depends. Are the drum heads mylar or kevlar?

• Like 6

Interesting. I'm thinking they're blown away with the volume. Huh? You guys that posted before - are you from the G era or not? Be honest.

Why do people keep insisting that the G horns would be "louder" than the Bb horns? Is there something about the physics of their construction that makes this so? In all of the research I have done (somewhat limited) I have flund nothing about the basic construction of these instruments that would suggest Bb or G is louder than the other.

From Kanstul's line of marching instruments, here are some specs:

BbTrumpet: .470 Bore with a 5 1/16 inch bell

G Soprano Bugle: .470 bore witha 5 inch bell

What is supposed to be making that G bugle sound so much louder??? Is it less tubing (since it is in G instead of Bb)??

Help please with the physics of this "G is louder" assertion.

• Like 3