Not a brass guy dont know my way around the horn line

Simple question difficult answer What would the result of mixing horn line with g bugles and b flat brass be. Please educate me.

If you take your time to teach properly, nothing really. If every musician in a line does their job to listen and tune they will sound just fine together. Notice how in any wind band or orchestra you find instruments in every key sounding beautiful together including Eb, Bb, F, C and sometimes even D and A; well it's really no different here.

If the whole line is responsible for intonation, balance and blend as they should be it would work fine, doesn't matter who is in what key.

Now reality is that rarely happens, players don't keep that in mind the whole time.

A tuning nightmare.

Not a 'brass guy' (nor even a 'brash guy') myself, but this has been asked before.

I recall that knowledgeable people answered that the harmonics of the G and Bb/Eb instruments don't really mesh well together.

Not a 'brass guy' (nor even a 'brash guy') myself, but this has been asked before.

I recall that knowledgeable people answered that the harmonics of the G and Bb/Eb instruments don't really mesh well together.

I think the biggest problem would be in the writing. In order to accommodate both, you'd end up with one part of the group playing in some really weird keys, or both groups would have to pick awkward keys, and stick with it. I'm sure with a great arranger, they could do it, but it wouldn't be that easy.

Composing the same piece in two keys would be a pain. Tuning would be awful. Fingerings would be all over the road.

Google Westshoremen Alumni as the members bring their own horns if they have them. Not only a mix of G and Bb but mix of manufactures and ages/types of horns. Does the trick for inside concert but outside in a competitive setting. :shutup: (check my sig before you complain)

And yes, staff has two sets of charts, 1 for each key...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It's been done.

During the early 2000s, several groups that didn't want to/couldn't afford to transition to a complete Bb line took a piecemeal approach. I believe Colts purchased trumpets, mellos and baris/euphs while holding on to the G contras (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But yeah, it's a tuning nightmare.