SCV and Pacific Crest - L.A. Philharmonic this weekend

I'm in L.A. this week and weekend and lo and behold, I've been surprised to find out Santa Clara and Pacific Crest will be performing in some capacity with the L.A. Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl (!) in a Tchaikovsky Spectacular with Fireworks. Yes I'll be going!

Here is the link:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/calendar-fullseason

-Roger

• Like 2

Pretty cool! :thumbup:/>

• Like 1

http://t.co/LSnw7AU9fS

Awesome photo! Wish I could've been there!

• Like 2

http://t.co/LSnw7AU9fS

Awesome photo! Wish I could've been there!

We're going tomorrow. ( Well Today) tongue.gif

• Like 2

I just got back from this. IT WAS GREAT! I'm going back again on Saturday night. If you are anywhere within 6 hours, you must go. It was that good.

A blended ensemble with all 3 corps. Performed the symphony's music only. Did a small section with the orchestra before the intermission. Did only parts that fit in with the symphony's music. None of any of this year's drum corps shows. At the end of the show, at the end of 1812, the combined hornline was lined up between the 1st and 2nd sections of the audience and really let loose. The sound engineers managed to keep a perfect sound blend with the orchestra. But with fireworks going off and the huge ending to 1812, Wow! A huge standing ovation from the entire audience. Goosebumps! You know, like we used to experience from most corps' shows.

Thanks to whoever set this up. It was genius. A cross pollination. The drum corps folks got to experience world class symphony. And the symphony folks got to experience world class drum corps. They seemed to really get into it. Hey DCI and the Hollywood Bowl folks, how about setting this up again next summer during the last week of June/first week of July regular Socal tour. That way the next east coast or midwest corps to do the Socal tour could participate. I wish Crown could have done it this summer. I'm sure the orchestra musicians would have been impressed.

I wish the 3 corps could have performed some or all of their 2013 programs, after the intermission or even at the end of the show. I think the symphony fans would really have enjoyed it. But that's ok. After all, it's the L.A. Philharmonic's gig and their home. i'm just grateful that this happened at all. What an honor for DCI.

The venue was the most laid back I have ever seen. People were bringing in picnic baskets filled with great food, beer, bottles of wine. No problem. You could buy food there, but $14 for small chicken salad, $9 for a hamburger and $9 for a beer were a little steep.

I was wondering how they were going to do the fireworks, with the the bowl surrounded by hills with dried brush. No problem. They just did the fireworks right above the stage. Sure made it more exciting.

The conductor of the orchestra, Robert Moody, was wild. I'm used to drum majors with distinct, repeatable down beats. This guy's down beats were all over the place. Down, one side, the other side, at the end of a curve motion, in the middle of a curve, pointing at a section and every other motion you could imagine. With very few repeated more than once or twice in a row. Could see him very well on the 4 huge video screens around the audience. Not sure how the orchestra could follow him, but they did perfectly. Real pros.

Overall, a great experience.

• Like 3

What a fantastic opportunity for these amazing kids! And all of us in LA- I'm packing my picnic for tonight!