Sad News from Music City

Thanks Bone. Your replies to this sad and unfortunate situation are spot on. I know it's always difficult for those out there with agendas to resist piling on to news like this....but this is not about G7....

But it is, to an extent.

Obviously, G7 directors did not meet in a smoke filled room to discuss the threat Music City posed to them, and plot out their demise. However, the bottom line of the G7 debate is about how to allocate DCI revenue between G7 corps, other WC corps, and OC corps. G7 have proposed allocating more money to themselves, less to other WC, and less to OC. Some of their proposals have been enacted over the past three seasons. In that time, OC corps have been spontaneously combusting like fireworks shortly after sunset on July 4th. Even a couple of WC corps have gone down. No G7 corps have been sidelined by finances in or anywhere near that time frame.

How is that working out so far?

• Like 1

a. This comment implies that you think all but the top three Open Class corps, and all but the top six World Class corps, may as well fold if they can't "keep pace" with modern scoring trends.

b. I don't think they played that song,...

c. Yes we do, which makes your other comments most perplexing.

(Edited to correct typo.)

Let me address your second point first. Technically, you are correct...I used the nickname since the show is about Havana. The official name of the Marin Hernandez piece as given by the corps' show announcement is"

music_city.jpg Music City -- Postcards from Havana

Music Selections:

--"El Cumbanchero" (Marin Hernandez)

--"Rapsodia Cubana" (Ernesto Lecuona)

--"A Mis Abuelos" (Arturo Sandoval)

Regarding your first point and third points, you are completely WRONG is your guestimate of reading into my comments and judging my respect of/for Open Class corps, regardless of their placements. My comments were premised by comments made by three Music City staff members who were band directors from Tenn. and Ky. and who sat with us when we ate off campus in Murfreesboro, TN., a suburb of Nashville. Some had big dreams for the corps' eventual DCI success; I found their projections a bit unrealistic given my experience of DCI over forty years of involvement, not just spectating.

I see that others on this thread have also had difficulties with your comments. Do not play psychologist even if you are perplexed by comments that differ from your opinion. Psychologists require licensing and accountable credentials. People get in legal trouble when they pose to be mind readers and act as certified professionals which they are not. I have my Master's and doctoral certificate in counselling from bona fide accredited universities of national ranking. I don't judge your motivations, just find them not accurate in my regard in this conversation.

It disappoints me to read how much anti-G7 venom has entered this thread again when most of us are ignorant of what grounds the BoD of Music City used to shape their discussions before their fatal decision. Besides dinosoars who keep on wanting to feed oats to autos because that's how we fed the horses, I wonder how much of the venom perhaps comes from disappointed wannabees using any thread to express their life disappointments. For all we know, G7/MM/TOC might not even be a part of drum corps in 2014 based on comments I have directly heard from some involved corps directors

P.S. I am presuming that the original poster of this thread posted it in the World Class forum as a public service announcement. The thread has diverted from a discussion of Music City's contribution to be a battering of DCI, of the G7, an analysis of DCA, and very little new information or matters germaine to Music City. Perhaps the moderators might close this thread since the announcement duplicates another thread in the Open Class forum. If so, perhaps a different thread for the vitriol of the posters might be opened so that they might rerun their discussions on battering DCI, G7, N.E. Brigand & Kamaraq, and an analysis of DCA. To the poster who thought that the kids should have been told first, I agree but I think the directors thought they were doing that when the message was posted on the corps' web page and Facebook, the ways kids today communicate..

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

But it is, to an extent.

Obviously, G7 directors did not meet in a smoke filled room to discuss the threat Music City posed to them, and plot out their demise. However, the bottom line of the G7 debate is about how to allocate DCI revenue between G7 corps, other WC corps, and OC corps. G7 have proposed allocating more money to themselves, less to other WC, and less to OC. Some of their proposals have been enacted over the past three seasons. In that time, OC corps have been spontaneously combusting like fireworks shortly after sunset on July 4th. Even a couple of WC corps have gone down. No G7 corps have been sidelined by finances in or anywhere near that time frame.

How is that working out so far?

This is a very good observation, and I do see your point. The huge costs associated with running a corps go way beyond what appearance fees can handle, though. Appearance fees help offset costs for sure- but even for the G7 it covers only a chunk of their expense.

Music City Placement History

2009- Did no compete in Open finals

2010- 10th Open Class Finals

2011- 8th Open Class Finals

2012- 9th Place Open Class Finals

2013- 5th Place (Almost 4th) open class finals, 25th World Class Semifinals.

What a great run for the corps. Showing so much promise. I know they had great local turnouts for auditions every year. My thoughts are with the kids cannot return to the corps they love.

here's my opinion... and this is not directed solely at Music City in any way (who I thought had a really good thing going)

I believe too many non top 12 or 15 corps try to be like the top corps... new uniforms, new equipment, tons of staff, etc. etc. and charge member fees that is out of this world.

I also believe the touring model is ridiculous especially with today's gas prices

SoundSport might be something to help smaller groups get off the ground and all, but once they enter (if they enter) the DCI touring world, they'll still have the same problems as any

I believe it's time to go back to regional touring models - let the big corps go wherever they want (since they can) and let the smaller ones or those needing to save on travel expenses stay in their region.

Maybe you should have to score well at a regional to even qualify for the world championship weeks???

Something else that may help smaller corps... have Open Class championships at the end of July so it doesn't interfere with many high school kids school schedule or even some band camps.

just some thoughts...

I also think DCI should work with DCA and encourage more weekend corps (rehearing and touring)

...and last but not least they should work with WGI to have an indoor corps circuit as well (performing a those shows) - scholastic and world classes

• Like 1

DCI drum corps draw (both for kids to participate, and fans to show up) is that it is the ultimate experience and highest level of the activity. Large professional staffs and top level gear are important to attract potential kids to the corps. Without the large staff, and all the other things that go along with the production of modern shows, a corps has little pull to attract kids. Drum corps must remain the pinnacle exerience in the activity, if not I can't see kids being very interested in participating, or fans willing to pay top dollar for a product that is not an elite level product.

Going back to a small-time tour and recruiting the local youth with local volunteer staff would certainly lower costs, but would anyone turn up to be a part of it? And would anyone want to watch it?

Lower placing corps have big staffs, but often times the majority of them are recent age-outs that are getting paid hardly anything for their time. Its almost a volunteer position at the "tech" level. Uniforms are usually purchased at cost from deals with Stanbury, etc, (and reused for a few seasons) and nowdays instruments are usually bought at cost with industry/sponsorship deals then sold for a wash off the truck at the end of the season to pay the bill. This allows corps to get fresh horns every year, but also means they don't really own them as an asset. And they need to buy new stuff every season and gamble that they will sell it to break even at the end of the season. Not sure in the long tun if this is better or not than outright ownership and using the same stuff for years at a time.

Edited by funkjazzaxe

Responses to several diverse subtopics:

Let me address your second point first. Technically, you are correct...I used the nickname since the show is about Havana. The official name of the Marin Hernandez piece as given by the corps' show announcement is"

music_city.jpg Music City -- Postcards from Havana

Music Selections:

--"El Cumbanchero" (Marin Hernandez)

--"Rapsodia Cubana" (Ernesto Lecuona)

--"A Mis Abuelos" (Arturo Sandoval)

There was an opening, slow tempo song before El Cumbanchero, probably the "dirge" ( :thumbdown: ) you were referring to earlier. I do not know the name; evidently, the repertoire they originally announced was changed (La Suerte de los Tontos was dropped).

It disappoints me to read how much anti-G7 venom has entered this thread again when most of us are ignorant of what grounds the BoD of Music City used to shape their discussions before their fatal decision. Besides dinosoars who keep on wanting to feed oats to autos because that's how we fed the horses, I wonder how much of the venom perhaps comes from disappointed wannabees using any thread to express their life disappointments.

Sensing some venom in your response, too...

I could do without the venom myself. However, some frank discussion on how G7 changes affect the overall financial climate for corps at different levels is germane, and timely, if we can have it without the venom drowning it out. And I acknowledge that the Music City decision might be the result of completely unrelated issues specific to them that trump all else - but nevertheless, it goes down as another entry on a long list of cases where the open class financial model was not sustained long term. Our sustainability "batting average" is way, way lower in OC than in WC, which is odd considering that WC is higher cost. I think that deserves some examination.

P.S. I am presuming that the original poster of this thread posted it in the World Class forum as a public service announcement. The thread has diverted from a discussion of Music City's contribution to be a battering of DCI, of the G7, an analysis of DCA, and very little new information or matters germaine to Music City. Perhaps the moderators might close this thread since the announcement duplicates another thread in the Open Class forum.

Since Music City made the DCI top 25 and competed in the world class semifinals, they do have relevance to this forum.

If so, perhaps a different thread for the vitriol of the posters might be opened so that they might rerun their discussions on battering DCI, G7, N.E. Brigand & Kamaraq, and an analysis of DCA.

I see no problem with creating a separate thread and moving the non-Music-City-specific discourse there. Motion seconded.

• Like 1

I don't think anything was done about this, but it's worth pointing out that the G7 have proposed eliminating any direct DCI support of Open Class. So while the G7 may not yet have had an impact, their plan would surely accelerate attrition of corps at this level.

I see that others on this thread have also had difficulties with your comments.

:blink: You're the only person who's responded to NE Brigand's comments...

Do not play psychologist even if you are perplexed by comments that differ from your opinion. Psychologists require licensing and accountable credentials. People get in legal trouble when they pose to be mind readers and act as certified professionals which they are not. I have my Master's and doctoral certificate in counselling from bona fide accredited universities of national ranking. I don't judge your motivations, just find them not accurate in my regard in this conversation.

All your credentials apparently didn't include any training in how to make a point effectively, or communicate politely... You trashed a very impressive Music City show in a thread about the corps' demise. I would personally have expected some pushback. So, feel free to lay out your argument, but don't bother providing your credentials or telling us who you had conversations with unless it's relevant to the point.

• Like 2