Note from Exec. Dir. of Music City

Instead of abandoning all those kids and giving up all hope of ever continuing, can you at LEAST use SoundSport???

Edited by Barifonium

Instead of abandoning all those kids and giving up all hope of ever continuing, can you at LEAST use SoundSport???

I'm not sure that's any different or better...

I actually saw a post on facebook asking for questions and one of these was is there were any costs for a group to join or compete in soundsport and the answer they gave was that no cost to join but members would have to purchase a discounted dci show ticket TO PERFORM AT THE SHOW THEY ARE IN?!?! are you kidding me?

if that's true... groups would have to pay for travel and pay for each individual to perform at a dci show?

I'm not sure that's any different or better...

I actually saw a post on facebook asking for questions and one of these was is there were any costs for a group to join or compete in soundsport and the answer they gave was that no cost to join but members would have to purchase a discounted dci show ticket TO PERFORM AT THE SHOW THEY ARE IN?!?! are you kidding me?

if that's true... groups would have to pay for travel and pay for each individual to perform at a dci show?

They wouldn't pay to be in the SoundSport competition. There would be a reduced fee for tickets for the actual DCI competition.

And the members of the SoundSport teams would be getting screwed over how?

Having the events concurrent with DCI contests brings in a lot more people to see the SoundSport events. The members get transportation not only to participate in SoundSport, but to see a DCI show as well. A reduced ticket price would make staying for the show more attractive, and many members would likely want to see a DCI show anyways.

All too often, DCI gets slammed for trying to do something nice...but it's not as nice as giving everyone a free foot massage and candy.

• Like 2

All too often, DCI gets slammed for trying to do something nice...but it's not as nice as giving everyone a free foot massage and candy.

That's what I'm holding out for...

Although I'm not really a candy person...

A seat on the 50 and a foot massage...

Oh, and let my score count equally with the GE guys...

And a limo...

Free airfare from Dallas?

And a complimentary program...

That should do it...

• Like 1

They wouldn't pay to be in the SoundSport competition. There would be a reduced fee for tickets for the actual DCI competition.

And the members of the SoundSport teams would be getting screwed over how?

Having the events concurrent with DCI contests brings in a lot more people to see the SoundSport events. The members get transportation not only to participate in SoundSport, but to see a DCI show as well. A reduced ticket price would make staying for the show more attractive, and many members would likely want to see a DCI show anyways.

I think you may be too much of a DCI front office homer on this one, Michael. In fact, unless you are the official DCI spokesperson, it almost seems like a conflict of interest to answer given your blogging seating at preferred shows.

The previous poster has a real objection which challenges the decision rationale you relate.

As an activity, we do not charge exhibition groups at drum corps shows to sit in the end or back stands to see the rest of the evening. We do not charge the Open Class corps members for seats when their portion of the contest is over (outside of LOS championships) to watch the World Class corps. We don't even charge the World Class members to watch the Open Class corps. I know of no drum corps contest sanctioned by DCI ever (as of yet) where the audience is charged a separate fee to watch the open class corps perform, and then a second fee or even discounted fee to watch the World Class in the same show except for Championships week in Indy.

Why charge the Soundsporters? It seems to be shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 4

I think you may be too much of a DCI front office homer on this one, Michael. In fact, unless you are the official DCI spokesperson, it almost seems like a conflict of interest to answer given your blogging seating at preferred shows.

How is pointing out my opinions and some facts almost a conflict of interest? (And I don't work at the office.)

• Like 1

if SoundSport is truly a way for old corps to come back or new groups to form (and potentially become corps), and is a way to grow the activity as a whole, then why charge each member a "discounted ticket price" to actually perform an exhibition (or whatever) at the beginning or end of a drum corps competition??? This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever and in my opinion would make people think twice about even starting a group

Regardless of when they perform (beginning or end) they will be missing a lot of the competition anyways from getting ready or putting equipment away, etc. so they would likely only see a portion of the show anyways...but DCI is nice enough to charge each performing member a "discounted ticket"... so this is what it has come to...more desire for $ then promotion and growth of the activity as a whole?

It's hard enough for smaller corps to travel now and find performance opportunities (as confirmed by Keith's post as well), so why tie another hand behind the back of groups that could potential grow the activity??? I simply do not get why they would do this...

Examples:

World Class corps - usually funded well/ok, get paid highest amount to perform at shows

Open Class corps - some surviving day to day, get paid very little to perform at shows and have to travel far for performance opportunities

SoundSport groups - startup groups, likely little money as is and low dues, have to actually PAY to perform at DCI shows and actual SoundSport competitions by themselves are very much unknown at this time

does anyone else not see what is wrong about this?

I'm pretty sure SoundSport groups are not going to be forming just as a way to try to get kids into DCI shows for free.

I think the SoundSport idea could be successful as a way to get smaller groups going and more interest and participation in performing art opportunities like drum corps...but I'm not seeing them offer anything positive or beneficial yet other then a name for it...just my opinion

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1

Hello drum corps fans! This is Keith Hall, executive director of Music City Drum and Bugle Corps. The announcement concerning the folding of Music City can be found HERE.

After reading some of the posts on a couple of threads here I thought I should offer the following. It is very expensive to operate a drum corps. Music City received a couple of small grants this year and a smaller amount in appearance fees. The corps' expenses not covered by these and the membership fees were covered by a VERY small circle of individuals. Music City has no debts. We tried to time the announcement the best we could for the sake of the members. By the way, I'm the same Keith Hall as The Band Hall which provided all uniforms, flags/guard equipment for the corps.

On a sidenote, I do not think the open class system is serving the activity well. Certainly the elite corps should receive tons more compensation and receive far more performance opportunities, but the current arrangement is not going to grow the activity. I would like to add that I believe Dan Acheson is providing the best possible leadership for the activity. He has a great vision for the future of drum corps. His hands are unfortunately tied it seems by the unfortunate need to "get along" with certain others. The unflattering posts I've seen here regarding Dan Acheson are unfortunate and uninformed I believe.

I invite everyone to support the corps or corps (plural!) of your choice. Make a donation, buy a t-shirt or best of all, help them raise money, LOTS of money. Today would be good!

I truly hate to see this corps go inactive. Gosh, I will miss them. What a class act all the way around. Thanks for the time we had together ! :worthy:

• Like 3

Don't. Give. Up.. Music City.

...Da mnit...

Edited by Barifonium

Or maybe become " Nashville Music City 2". The "2" in this case, could be for using "Music City" & "Music City Legends" people.

With DCA Corps in: Cincinnati, Atlanta, North Carolina, Virginia and Florida. Seems to working for "Cadet's 2" in their area. Or, Even if you had to start small in Class A. That worked well for "Carolina Gold" and "Cin. Tradition".

Oh well. Let's Hope they can come up with something.