Would a trombone solo be allowed?

No trombones please. I play it the rest of the year, getting to play bari/euph in corps is awesome. I would hate to have to deal with a trombone section year-round, and trying to clean them in drill would be a pain. Designers wouldn't be able to write the super-tight intervals anymore.

I sure hope they don't allow woodwinds.........i seriously doubt they ever will, I don't think they would ever be heard over the brass. Why spend a whole bunch of money incorporating woodwinds into dci when they wouldn't even be heard, the corps could use that money for more practical issues.

Being old school as I am, absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point. So many things I just knew would never happen, Did.

• Like 1

My fat thumbs clicked reply instead of edit.

Look below. :)

Edited by BLOODEVILS

I now understand why trombones aren't included as a line, but I still think a trombone solo could be really effective and LOUD.

Edited by BLOODEVILS

I sure hope they don't allow woodwinds.........i seriously doubt they ever will, I don't think they would ever be heard over the brass. Why spend a whole bunch of money incorporating woodwinds into dci when they wouldn't even be heard, the corps could use that money for more practical issues.

you can mic small ensembles... that's all they need.

It has to be a valved instrument, I think. There are semantics there, but I don't think trombones are allowed as yet during the judged show.

The only slides allowed are for tuning. The instruments need to look like what we have come to expect from drum corps...bell front horns...though Sousaphones are not allowed.(They once were allowed for Eklipse from Kentucky when their tubas didn't come in on time. DCI gave them special dispensation so they could get out on the field. Nice corps...unfortunately, they packed it up after the Drum Corps Midwest Championships and went home due to money issues.)

We used saxophones in 93. They're perfectly legal; you're just not allowed to PLAY them :thumbup:

4ppjiW5.png

Edited by packetslave
  • Like 1

So, say if Troopers wanted to include a straight, G bugle they could not? How ironic considering where it all started....

That would be allowed...brass in any key. It might be kind of neat for a "Taps" segment. Just because a corps can't use slide instruments doesn't mean they have to use valved instruments...provided they are playing a show entirely of open tones, which would get quite old rather fast.

I say throw out the rule book and allow any instrumentation imaginable. DCI opened Pandora's box in 2000 and has since lost many of the qualities that made drum corps unique. So now we have brass band instruments that are not as loud as the old Gs. But to make up for that loss of volume, we have amplification and synthesizers. (Gee, thanks.) Let's stop kidding ourselves about what should be allowed, and accept that it's a matter of a short period of time until DCI allows any noisemaker imaginable. Trombones, Sousaphones, French horns, violins of every size, woodwinds, pan flutes, guitars, kazoos, bagpipes... Come on in. The door is wide open.

Tromboniums ARE allowed.

tromboniums79.jpg

010-M566big.jpg

Marching French Horns ARE allowed and were in use by MANY corps until Star and Cadets made mellophones more popular in the mid to late 80s...

I believe Cavies used them as late as 93 or 94

MF760S.jpg

dcw-3.jpg

Also, Marching altos are possible ( Cross between flugel and mellophone) note the bell size compared to mellophone....

Dynasty%20II%20Alto%20Bugle.jpg

Kanstul seems to have most of these instruments today....

http://kanstul.com/c...&metaPage=Bugle

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3