I KNEW this was coming.

Why shouldn't a rifle be comfortably and positively described as an "implement of war" if "War", as you described, is the reason we have liberties, freedom and the United States?

I agree. Such an interpretation however would be more " positively " ( your words ) received if done in the context of the purchase of the new rifles, rather than the description of them in the sell off of them. Its naturally viewed in the context in which the comment was made. Additionally, the recent comments from The Cadets are naturally and logically viewed in the context of previous comments by the Corps Director of the Cadets regarding his position on " rifles and sabres ". It would not be accurate to state that his views on " rifles and sabres" are a " positive " one. Otherwise it is reasonable to assume that he'd be buying new ones for his Corps for use in the future. Some of this stuff is just common sense here too. We can easily tell if he has a " positive " ... " neutral "... or " negative " view of Rifles and sabres. Its not Rocket Science here when we're interpreting the words meaning in the sell off of this Guard equipment, otherwise they'd have just advertised this as " we're selling our Guard rifles for such and such a price", be done with it, and with no added commentary at all on ONE of its useages in the real world.

Edited by BRASSO

Ah, the words people freak out over. I remember when people used to get all riled up when drum corps referred to their instructional staffs as "faculty." Of course, those same people had no problems whatsoever referring to themselves as "alumni" of a certain corps. But hey, why should consistency matter when you're just looking to complain about something not worth complaining over? Especially when George Hopkins is somehow involved.

• Like 2

Ah, the words people freak out over. I remember when people used to get all riled up when drum corps referred to their instructional staffs as "faculty." Of course, those same people had no problems whatsoever referring to themselves as "alumni" of a certain corps. But hey, why should consistency matter when you're just looking to complain about something not worth complaining over? Especially when George Hopkins is somehow involved.

so right!!!!!!!!!!! dont people get the more you talk about someone the more power you give them...he certainly knows this and so many fall into it..I wonder are people afraid of Hop...his policies...his direction of drum corps...his darn mullett...lol...or simply that he has more influence in the activity and the ability to change no matter what many think...I do know as much as Im not a fan of his there are also a few here ( avid posters ) that continually look for oppurtunity to jump on anything he says merely because Hop wouldnt give them or their so called talent a second look....i know that for sure.........so once again instead of discussing the topic of the equipment no matter where the source came from yet another topic becomes about Hop...Congrats Hop....you did it again !!!!!!

As far as the topic...............just as there is an up roar in schools about FAKE weapons ..and YES we still do call them that in this activity...ignoring that it possibibly ( note I said possibibly ) could effect drum corps also...To deny we are imune to this would be hiding ones head in the sand...but that wouldnt be new either....jmo

• Like 1

Nah, nobody here is getting " riled " up over such foolishness commentary added to the Cadets sell off of some of their Guard equipment. Most of us are used to this nonsense preachiness by GH, and how silly he can easily apppear to outsiders. Yes he is a lightening rod for controversy. This is not new from him, and nobody here is really " freaked out " on him anymore. Some people just need to chill. The Cadets stepped in it with their silliness and people here are just commenting on the foolishness, thats all. No more, no less. This story will be gone before long... and GH and everybhody else will move on, and then in time we'll move back to something else he does or says to embarrass himself, and we'll comment on that again too. Thats what people do on Drum Corps message boards. We discuss what is said and done by people that are involved in the Drum Corps scene.

Edited by BRASSO

Nah, nobody here is getting " riled " up over such foolishness commentary added to the Cadets sell off of some of their Guard equipment. Most of us are used to this nonsense preachiness by GH, and how silly he can easily apppear to outsiders. Yes he is a lightening rod for controversy. This is not new from him, and nobody here is really " freaked out " on him anymore. Some people just need to chill. The Cadets stepped in it with their silliness and people here are just commenting on the foolishness, thats all. No more, no less. This story will be gone before long... and GH and everybhody else will move on, and then in time we'll move back to something else he does or says to embarrass himself, and we'll comment on that again too. Thats what people do on Drum Corps message boards. We discuss what is said and done by people that are involved in the Drum Corps scene.

youre right ..including the dimissive attitude of some who feel that their opinion means something and others dont.....again your right on the silliness of the fact that " guard weapons " do any harm...but nothing silly on the topic....many who have been connected to some of this seriousness the way people view " weapons " or a form of them wouldnt think its silly at all....jmo

Stating opinions as fact. Certainly feels good and makes you feel better I guess...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I agree. Such an interpretation however would be more " positively " ( your words ) received if done in the context of the purchase of the new rifles, rather than the description of them in the sell off of them. Its naturally viewed in the context in which the comment was made. Additionally, the recent comments from The Cadets are naturally and logically viewed in the context of previous comments by the Corps Director of the Cadets regarding his position on " rifles and sabres ". It would not be accurate to state that his views on " rifles and sabres" are a " positive " one. Otherwise it is reasonable to assume that he'd be buying new ones for his Corps for use in the future. Some of this stuff is just common sense here too. We can easily tell if he has a " positive " ... " neutral "... or " negative " view of Rifles and sabres. Its not Rocket Science here when we're interpreting the words meaning in the sell off of this Guard equipment, otherwise they'd have just advertised this as " we're selling our Guard rifles for such and such a price", be done with it, and with no added commentary at all on ONE of its useages in the real world.

agree........but isnt he entitled to his views..positive..negative or otherwise? If his views have changed on this equipment....so what...doesnt mean we have to change our minds....You, I, or even he is entitled...can it be debated sure but IMO not ridiculed. This is a little different than opinions on plume colors or shakos or not........then again, as well all know it could just be a ploy to keep people talking , especially during the off season.

youre right ..including the dimissive attitude of some who feel that their opinion means something and others dont.....again your right on the silliness of the fact that " guard weapons " do any harm...but nothing silly on the topic....many who have been connected to some of this seriousness the way people view " weapons " or a form of them wouldnt think its silly at all....jmo

I think you are trying to connect two unconnected thoughts here however.

There is nothing " silly " about a real firearm, with real live ammunition. Nobody here has made that claim, so don't be confused that people here on this thread are claiming that a firearm is not serious. But this is entirely different than the foolishness we are discussing here now of wooden toy rifles in Drum Corps thats never been a problem with anyone for over 80 years. Real weapons and ammunition are serious business. What Bands and Drum Corps use for Guard equipment in Corps show performances is not serious business... no matter if its wooden toy rifles, twirling batons, long pliable poles, imitation candy canes, etc or anything else for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

I think you are trying to connect two unconnected thoughts here however.

There is nothing " silly " about a real firearm, with real live ammunition. Nobody here has made that claim, so don't be confused that people here on this thread are claiming that a firearm is not serious. But this is entirely different than the foolishness we are discussing here now of wooden toy rifles in Drum Corps thats never been a problem with anyone for over 80 years. Real weapons and ammunition are serious business. What Bands and Drum Corps use for Guard equipment in Corps show performances is not serious business... no matter if its wooden toy rifles, twirling batons, long pliable poles, imitation candy canes, etc or anything else for that matter.

no not confused , what im saying is in todays world it isnt a silly topic at all.....I have taught all over the country and I have heard this more than once so to dismiss it as silly is foolish in itself. This , at one time or another will come up again and again IF what I have personally seen is any kind of a trend.

I will also say once again...maybe...just maybe with all the YOUTH under the YEA umbrella . Possibibly there's more to the story than just HOp being Hop....who knows