Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

I don't know, Daniel. I think the following Simon & Garfunkel lyrics make as much sense in the context of this debate. :tongue:/>

And I think it's gonna be all right

Yeah, the worst is over

Now the morning sun is shining

Like a red rubber ball

Ah but never released as Simon and Garfunkel - they released this one as "Tom and Jerry" while they were still at Queens' College but a group called "The Cyrcle" had the hit with it.

I was just feeling annoying and my wife is tired of me so I thought I'd share.

I don't know, Daniel. I think the following Simon & Garfunkel lyrics make as much sense in the context of this debate. tongue.gif

And I think it's gonna be all right

Yeah, the worst is over

Now the morning sun is shining

Like a red rubber ball

I actually think these Simon & Garfunkel lyrics make even more sense in the context of this debate.

The monkeys stand for honesty,

Giraffes are insincere,

And the elephants are kindly but

They're dumb.

Orangutans are skeptical

Of changes in their cages,

And the zookeeper is very fond of rum.

Zebras are reactionaries,

Antelopes are missionaries,

Pigeons plot in secrecy,

And hamsters turn on frequently.

What a gas!

You gotta come and see At the zoo.

Drum corps is also way behind magazines that have had "Scratch 'n' Sniff" inserts for decades.

Drum corps is way behind Broadway productions that have had elevated stages and flying for decades.

Drum corps is way behind lots of things we take for granted in other forms of entertainment...

...because it's drum corps and not those other forms of entertainment.

I support innovation in drum corps. I also support letting drum corps be drum corps.

Oh man, can you imagine "scratch and sniff" tour inserts?

Ewwwwww...

The weird thing is that the kids would be scratching for 2 weeks after tour.

Mine always slept on the floor in one room for about a month when they got back.

Fortunately we never had a big enough bathroom for them to shower together.

BTW last time I went to see the Ft Worth Symphony they played Carmina Burana - 75 years old... wish they'd get current... Next thing you know they'll be playing some 200 year old Beethoven.

Not your best effort there OP...

• Like 2

This right here... almost 100 years old (a 1970's film of the recreation of work from the 1920's).

Well that is one weird video. So I'll save it in my "you won't believe what is on the internet" bookmarks.

It's almost as "trippy" as the BooBahs. Yet to this day nothing quite compares.

Blue Devils music was exactly 100 years old.

Actually, Blue Devils used a 100-year-old piece along with a one-year old arrangement of that piece, and a 42 year old take on the piece.

Carolina Crown was doing stuff from the 70's.

That was half of the material. The rest was 21st century brass band music.

I do find it a bit strange when people are complaining about how out there drum corps is becoming. In reality, the activity is nearly 100 years behind other arts.

This is really a ridiculous statement to make without providing any actual argument. Drum corps is inherently a derivative art form, and it operates in a vastly different context than typical forms of "art" that aren't competitive and cooperative activities, but the age of the source material has zero bearing on where the activity is. The activity has been evolving year after year. Drum corps in the 20s or the 70s are as far away from drum corps today as film of those eras is from film today.

• Like 2

More often than not you have something worthwhile to say in posts you start. This is not one of those. You do not make an argument of any kind. All you have done here is throw out a couple of comments whose connection to drum corps as an "art form" is tenuous at best.

Yep, it's called "trolling".

• Like 2

Is food allowed on the competition field? You might actually be giving designers a few ideas.

"On the field, presenting their 2014 production "Nutella and Bananas," Drum Corps International is proud to present (insert corps name here).