Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

But that is my point!!!!! SCV did not place 'ALL' emphases on visual which would have inevitably lead to grossly cut up versions of music; they chose to make sure that while being visually intriguing the music was still very accessible to the listening audience; which means, by definition, they did not place 'ALL' emphasis on the visual.

Nope; I am saying that the true creation of a great show design would lead to the audience being able to understand the audio without the visual. In other mediums where there is both visual and audio (ie musicals and movies) the soundtracks certainly can be understood on CD's without the need to have the visual on the DVD's. The big problem with DCI design today, imo, is that the visual is driving the medium so much that the audio becomes so extremely disjunctive that the music ends up losing all communicative capabilities. That is why I, and many, many, many, many, others enjoyed the SCV Les Mis; not only for the excellent visual aspects, but also for the melodic content which was communicated in an understandable manner. And we have enjoyed shows in the past utilizing the Rite of Spring (Cadets, The Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment). But we enjoyed those shows because the music melodic content was coherent and understandable as well as the visual aspects being extremely enjoyable to watch. And I, and many, many others are very distracted, no matter how awesome the visual, we are very distracted from enjoying the visual if the music interacting with the visual is disjunctive. Again that is why the audience exploded for The Cavaliers Rite, the Regiment Rite, but not for the Blue Devils Rite.

Well stated, Stu.

While we are discussing opinion I do believe that the overwhelming majority of the fans at DCI shows would fall on my side; can't enjoy and understand the music... can't really enjoy the full entire package. And if the visual is so singularly primary in its focus that it takes the visual to actually breath life into everything else, well that describes most so-called 'art films' which are shown in small theaters with seven people in the seats; and I find that to be boring. But in movies that are attended by the millions of people the sound, the dialogue, is just as important as the visual. And in an activity like DCI the music is far more than background enhancement, the music is the actual 'dialogue' of the performers. Thus in DCI it takes both understandable communicative music (dialogue) and great visual impact which in turn enhances each other, not one overbearing aspect of visual breathing life into the other side item of sound. Otherwise you end up creating this great and wonderful visual program with disjunctive non comprehensive dialogue like many DCI designed programs have become. And if you really do believe that DCI programs should be ALL about the visual with the music as a mere side spotlight on the visual, you might want to check your narcissistic meter; it will be pegged out to the max.

well i thought we were having an adult conversation until I read your last line which IF I AM READING YOU CORRECT...the same can be said to you. Because something exsists and isnt to your likeing doesnt mean it isnt good or shouldnt continue...thanks for bringing this to another level..and while Im at it DO NOT ASSUME what staffs do or say or think for that matter unless you happen to sit on them or have access to them..I tried to give you the persepctive of one who does but ..forget it..and also as for millions of people of any art form, majority or anything I wouldnt speak for any of them because there is no way you could know this. What I believe has no revelence ( I take that back ) it does BECAUSE I have a say in how and what can go onto the field and just not sit behind a computer and tell everyone what they do wrong...............IF..I read you condecending last line wrong I am totally sorry..IF NOT...done ! thanks

for millions of people of any art form, majority or anything I wouldnt speak for any of them because there is no way you could know this.

One way ( an important way ) to gauge how a Performing Arts enterprise is doing with their shows is not thru individual DCPers comments ( whatever they may be ), nor anecdotal stories shared on here, and so forth. The best gauge of audience response to these shows are the attendance figures. I do agree that what posters say here on DCP is only their opinion regarding the show designs. But the audience figures speak to us.... in volumes. It appears that our attendance figures have had an ever so slight increase year over end, but we are nowhere near the audience figures of ( for example ), the 70's and the 80's, and nowhere near where we need them to be to ensure a viable and stable future for the activity. Thats the undeniable reality of where we are as an activity now. The question now before us is how we kick start this activity to have much better audience growth numbers in the future years.

Edited by BRASSO

Well stated, Stu.

well theres a surprise :blink:/> well stated? you on SCV staff also? yet you all know what and how things went there ...hmmmmmmmm

I just love when people speak for all viewing...and many never even at a show all summer or 1 show but have judgements on what the world thinks...priceless

I totally agree that blend of both is the way BUT also know that visual has diven shows for decades already..if someone doesnt get that then I dont know where they have been.....im not even sayiong I agree or disagree , thats not the point.......but it is what its been for decades............sorry this really wasnt for you BUT STU got me going like he does many here. One can like or dislike anything but dont condecend to me or anyone who I know does this ACTIVELY and pours their blood sweat and tears into this only to be disrespected becaue their opinion is different ..

Edited by GUARDLING

well i thought we were having an adult conversation until I read your last line which IF I AM READING YOU CORRECT...the same can be said to you. Because something exsists and isnt to your likeing doesnt mean it isnt good or shouldnt continue...thanks for bringing this to another level..and while Im at it DO NOT ASSUME what staffs do or say or think for that matter unless you happen to sit on them or have access to them..I tried to give you the persepctive of one who does but ..forget it..and also as for millions of people of any art form, majority or anything I wouldnt speak for any of them because there is no way you could know this. What I believe has no revelence ( I take that back ) it does BECAUSE I have a say in how and what can go onto the field and just not sit behind a computer and tell everyone what they do wrong...............IF..I read you condecending last line wrong I am totally sorry..IF NOT...done ! thanks

You have stated multiple times that it is 'ALL' about the visual, that the visual has to breath life into the music, so allow me to restate what has got you so riled up: "If you really do believe that DCI programs should be 'ALL' about the visual with the music as a mere side spotlight on the visual, you might want to check your narcissistic meter; it will be pegged out to the max." And that would be true for me if, again if I had stated that DCI programs should be 'ALL' about the music. But I did not; I stated that there should be an equal balance in which the visual enhances the music, and the music enhances the visual, with both being able to communicate to the audience in an understandable manner on their own merits. When someone says that something they enjoy should be what it is 'All' about, that by definition is rather narcissistic.

One way ( an important way ) to gauge how a Perforimg Arts enterprise is doing wit their sghows are attendance figures. I do agree that what posters say here on DCP is only their opinion regarding the show designs. But the audience figures speak to us.... in volumes. It appears that our attendance figures have had an ever so slight increase year over end, but we arte nowhewre near trhe audience figures of ( for example ), the 70's and the 80's, and nowhere near where we need them to be to ensure a viable and stable future for the activity.

and here we go again..you really believe its because of show design...well the decline started back in the 70s so maybe it was the show designs then... and as far as show designs...how many? 12...15....1 ....isnt here enough of a varienty or do people need to watch 12 in finals of everything they like or want...that NEVERN HAPPENED

You have stated multiple times that it is 'ALL' about the visual, that the visual has to breath life into the music, so allow me to restate what has got you so riled up: "If you really do believe that DCI programs should be 'ALL' about the visual with the music as a mere side spotlight on the visual, you might want to check your narcissistic meter; it will be pegged out to the max." And that would be true for me if, again if I had stated that DCI programs should be 'ALL' about the music. But I did not; I stated that there should be an equal balance in which the visual enhances the music, and the music enhances the visual, with both being able to communicate to the audience in an understandable manner on their own merits. When someone says that something they enjoy should be what it is 'All' about, that by definition is rather narcissistic.

I stated that visuals are with many 1st thing on the table..yes music gets picked then for many the visual process begins....not an after thought but a front and center part of the process..thats all ...1st question is WHAT CAN BE DONE TO THIS PIECE OF MUSIC and how will we convey that, and yes it is all about the visuals BUT not excluding music at all..if Crowns visuals were suddenly taken away or not to par with that fantastic horn line would it be top 5? ahhh no...but nor could an great visual packae with a bad horn line

Edited by GUARDLING

...yet you all know what and how things went there ...hmmmmmmmm... I just love when people speak for all viewing...and many never even at a show all summer or 1 show but have judgements on what the world thinks...

Ahhh... if you only knew how wrong you are with your assumptions about many of us not being 'in the know'. All I will respond with is this: just remember what they say about 'assume' :satisfied:

Ahhh... if you only knew how wrong you are with your assumptions about many of us not being 'in the know'. All I will respond with is this: just remember what they say about 'assume' :satisfied:/>

well catch ya at the next staff meeting of many who you seem to speak for...didnt remember seeing you last time..I will be more attentive.