Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

and here we go again..you really believe its because of show design.

If posters believe that the overall marching talent is better today than in ( say ) 1980.... and that the show designs are better, and the staffs are better, and so forth, then why are their less people attending shows here in 2013 than in ( say ) 1980 ? I'm not looking to quarrel here with you... seriously... I'm simply interested in your take.

...and yes it is all about the visuals BUT not excluding music at all..

Again your contention is that it is ALL about the visual but the music does play some sort of a back seat role, but only to spotlight the contention that it is ALL about the visual. This like a movie producer saying it is all about the visual, the dialogue does play a role, but it is all about the visual. And remember, in an activity like DCI, music is not mere background material, music is the actual 'dialogue' from the performers. Therein is essence of the all visual narcissism.

hey STU and Brasso..I appologize for letting anything here get the best of me..I swore that would NEVER happen..So I fell into it..I am sorry,,,my insight to a situation maybe should just stay that

( Mine )

You are a guard person, we understand :satisfied::smile::cool::tongue:

Edited by Stu

hey STU and Brasso..I appologize for letting anything here get the best of me..I swore that would NEVER happen..So I fell into it..I am sorry,,,my insight to a situation maybe should just stay that

( Mine )

No apologies neccessary at all, Guardling. I love your impassioned posts... even if on occasion I might disagree with your opinion.

If posters believe that the overall marching talent is better today than in ( say ) 1980.... and that the show designs are better, and the staffs are better, and so forth, then why are their less people attending shows here in 2013 than in ( say ) 1980 ? I'm not looking to quarrel here with you... seriously... I'm simply interested in your take.

ok if you are really interested...MY TAKE....less alumni going..because kids dont stay in corps 5 /10 years anymore for numerous reasons, so less invested. The activity as a whole doesnt serve the poor kid any more, the local kid, the kid with not much to do so they join drum corps. the die hards are dying off, as we all will. Drum corps may have been a post war activity, community pride, etc etc like Boy Scouts and many civic groups gone. Could possibibly be it has come to its end..and this could be why many directors know this and are trying to figure the next step JUST to stay alive.

I think people would like to believe its because of show designs..with a few maybe , BUT theres plenty to watch, you dont have to like everyone because that never exsisted or ever will.

Again your contention is that it is ALL about the visual but the music does play some sort of a back seat role, but only to spotlight the contention that it is ALL about the visual. This like a movie producer saying it is all about the visual, the dialogue does play a role, but it is all about the visual. And remember, in an activity like DCI, music is not mere background material, music is the actual 'dialogue' from the performers. Therein is essence of the all visual narcissism.

You are a guard person, we understand :satisfied:/>/>/> :smile:/>/>/> :cool:/>/>/> :tongue:/>/>/>

actually you ASSUMED WRONG I spent many years as a lead soprano and by suggestion of a major player of the time knowing there was no way I was interested in a music career guided me into the visual and guard area because I was told then WAYYYY back then that visual was the way to go....and would literally change the activity...Guess they were right

Edited by GUARDLING

ok if you are really interested...MY TAKE....less alumni going..because kids dont stay in corps 5 /10 years anymore for numerous reasons, so less invested. The activity as a whole doesnt serve the poor kid any more, the local kid, the kid with not much to do so they join drum corps. the die hards are dying off, as we all will. Drum corps may have been a post war activity, community pride, etc etc like Boy Scouts and many civic groups gone. Could possibibly be it has come to its end..and this could be why many directors know this and are trying to figure the next step JUST to stay alive.

I think people would like to believe its because of show designs..with a few maybe , BUT theres plenty to watch, you dont have to like everyone because that never exsisted or ever will.

I think you probably hit on some very plausable reasons on why the drop off in attendance from BITD. I do think " Show Designs " has had some effect on attendance numbers too however. Clearly, some BITD fans like me are still around and still find enough enjoyment in the current shows to still go to the shows. Even BITD nobody enjoyed all the shows equally. They were all quite different among themselves back then too. Thats not changed, and since all the shows today are also disparate among one another, they are not all alike today either. I hope DCI figures out how to grow an audience at better numbers than we're seeing of late however. It is important to the activities survival for future generations.. and I'd hate to lose this great activity we all love here altogether.

Edited by BRASSO

I think you probably hit on some very plausable reasons on why the drop off in attendance from BITD. I do think " Show Designs " has had some effect on attendance numbers too however. Clearly, some BITD fans like me are still around and still find enough enjoyment in the current shows to still go to the shows. Even BITD nobody enjoyed all the shows equally. Thats not changed, and since all the shows today are also disparate among one another, they are not all alike today either.

you are correct.......even BITD...I have an uncle that marched a major corps..family has been involved from about 1940 till now..well he stopped going to shows after 1972 for many reasons, some stated here including show design...it wasnt drum corps

actually you ASSUMED WRONG I spent many years as a lead soprano and by suggestion of a major player of the time knowing there was no way I was interested in a music career guided me into the visual and guard area because I was told then WAYYYY back then that visual was the way to go....and would literally change the activity...Guess they were right

See what I mean about 'assume' I just got whacked :doh: