Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

and Brass playing has NEVER been better IMO...maybe not the choice of music some like BUT certainly more complicated and just plain ole played better..IMO

The brass playing, ON THE WHOLE, has gotten better in DCI. Brass playing has, however, gotten less complicated as the visual side has forced many parts to the front ensemble. Remember when the hornline used to get most of the meat ( hard parts)? Now things are sent over to the front ensemble so that the horns can run some more.

There are some lines, such as Crown, where the brass playing hasn't followed this trend, but then we get questions regarding how well their drums ( including front ensemble) are integrated into the show. Their percussion score didn't do so hot possibly because of this.

It's really just a tradeoff.

ok if you are really interested...MY TAKE....less alumni going..because kids dont stay in corps 5 /10 years anymore for numerous reasons, so less invested. The activity as a whole doesnt serve the poor kid any more, the local kid, the kid with not much to do so they join drum corps. the die hards are dying off, as we all will. Drum corps may have been a post war activity, community pride, etc etc like Boy Scouts and many civic groups gone. Could possibibly be it has come to its end..and this could be why many directors know this and are trying to figure the next step JUST to stay alive.

I think people would like to believe its because of show designs..with a few maybe , BUT theres plenty to watch, you dont have to like everyone because that never exsisted or ever will.

I USED to like everyone. Now the activity is polarizing. I'll love one group, hate another group's show.... I love one part of a show, HATE another part of a show. It's just very different and it's a struggle.

BTW. Love you Guardling! I really get a lot out of each of your posts and totally understand where you're coming from. I also believe that you are being helpful. I don't always agree or disagree. I often post to give another point of view, and I think many other people do as well.

The brass playing, ON THE WHOLE, has gotten better in DCI. Brass playing has, however, gotten less complicated as the visual side has forced many parts to the front ensemble. Remember when the hornline used to get most of the meat ( hard parts)? Now things are sent over to the front ensemble so that the horns can run some more.

There are some lines, such as Crown, where the brass playing hasn't followed this trend, but then we get questions regarding how well their drums ( including front ensemble) are integrated into the show. Their percussion score didn't do so hot possibly because of this.

i would agree of trade offs but I would also put any horn book of today against most of the past....well I guess depends on the decade some of the 80s and 90s had great music books...makes me wonder if we dumbed down the visual..hmmmm..how many would hate that , and how many would not go to shows anymore...maybe none..maybe alot...which at this time cant be afforded...would some come back? maybe , but as years go on there will be less and less around to come back...interesting twist maybe....

I USED to like everyone. Now the activity is polarizing. I'll love one group, hate another group's show.... I love one part of a show, HATE another part of a show. It's just very different and it's a struggle.

BTW. Love you Guardling! I really get a lot out of each of your posts and totally understand where you're coming from. I also believe that you are being helpful. I don't always agree or disagree. I often post to give another point of view, and I think many other people do as well.

thanks..I appreciate it... :smile:/> more than you know

as far as the shows...see I felt the same even BITD..so i got a hot dog then..lol...also bitd we hung around to watch others...rare occasion now

BUT I do feel the same about some corps today also..maybe not the same ones many do but none the less I do dislike several..I usualy dont comment on to many specifics because of being involved

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

If posters believe that the overall marching talent is better today than in ( say ) 1980.... and that the show designs are better, and the staffs are better, and so forth, then why are their less people attending shows here in 2013 than in ( say ) 1980 ? I'm not looking to quarrel here with you... seriously... I'm simply interested in your take.

You asked Guardling....but here is my own take...

There are hundreds fewer corps today...fewer corps alums to attend shows, and really there are NO members from active small local corps (a la GSC) that used to flock to the shows with the Big Corps, even just-plain-local shows. You'd see all sorts of jackets from small corps at the local shows that had corps like Garfield, Bayonne, Hawthorne, 27th, etc...

That is, IMO, part of the drive to market DCI to the scholastic band members...they are figuratively the replacements for the above.

As for attendance, I'm not so sure tour event show attendance is all that low, given the sell-outs I have seen at the local shows.

• Like 1

i would agree of trade offs but I would also put any horn book of today against most of the past....well I guess depends on the decade some of the 80s and 90s had great music books...makes me wonder if we dumbed down the visual..hmmmm..how many would hate that , and how many would not go to shows anymore...maybe none..maybe alot...which at this time cant be afforded...would some come back? maybe , but as years go on there will be less and less around to come back...interesting twist maybe....

I'm thinking of horn books around 1985 forward to 2005 being pretty meaty and there are many books in this time that I "feel" would best most of the horn books of today... I know that the horn playing is different today. The horn players today are wonderful, but they're not being given as much musical meat to contend with, they're being given more visual to chew on! tongue.gif

Also, I just looked at the "Top Scoring Drumlines :: DCI Finals :: INSERT YEAR" on Youtube the other day from around 1995 - 2005, where I could see the whole corps as the top several percussion lines were featured.

Wow, BD, SCV, Cadets, Glassmen (!), and Cavies have performed some incredibly meaty and effective "drill" in the past that is now sorta gone. Now it's more about "Visual", but not as much is popping out. It's just different. I hope it's not dumbed down.

Maybe I'm jaded by all the previous magnificence... Nah, I can recognize something cool. tongue.gif

I'm thinking of horn books around 1985 forward to 2005 being pretty meaty and there are many books in this time that I "feel" would best most of the horn books of today... I know that the horn playing is different today. The horn players today are wonderful, but they're not being given as much musical meat to contend with, they're being given more visual to chew on! tongue.gif

Also, I just looked at the "Top Scoring Drumlines :: DCI Finals :: INSERT YEAR" on Youtube the other day from around 1995 - 2005, where I could see the whole corps as the top several percussion lines were featured.

Wow, BD, SCV, Cadets, Glassmen (!), and Cavies have performed some incredibly meaty and effective "drill" in the past that is now sorta gone. Now it's more about "Visual", but not as much is popping out. It's just different. I hope it's not dumbed down.

Maybe I'm jaded by all the previous magnificence... Nah, I can recognize something cool. tongue.gif

I would agree with alot of what you are saying..even as far as visual...its a way different visual from decade to decade..totally different...doesnt make one bad or good just different..thats how I look at it..Its also how I think I can still enjoy the difference even if there are some things I miss from the past. it is very easy to be jaded in our activity as it moves on..maybe just in life all together as we age I just choose to take a different road and not be so jaded. Now if you want to take DCI or WGI with alot thats known.( admin )..now jaded doesnt even begin to tell how one might and could feel :devil:/>

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

well for reasons Im sure you might know...and If you REALLY knew Cesario..yes he wants some things the general public do BUT hes in the business of public relations......I know him well and also have heard him say MANY TIMES..people all think they are xxxxxx designers.....dont believe everything thats fed to ya......WGI is even better at the feeding..its better on percussion side but the guard side they feed up alot of XXXX to keep revelent.

I'll trust my sources.

• Like 1

actually upstairs the percussion writing worked well with integration...look at the MA numbers.

the performance of it close up however.....