An open letter to SCV's staff coordinator

I don't know anything about whether or not staff changes would be warranted or a bad idea, but all I want is for the Vanguard to continue on the trend they've set the past few years. Please don't try to change it up too much just for the hope scoring higher (I hope they can score higher by continuing with the direction and style they currently have).

Well said, and exactly my point. I'm amazed people are jumping all over me for this when I'm actually complimenting the current corps and staff and simply requesting that they stay their current course. How awful of me.

• Like 2

Open public forum versus formally written letter... I would vote for formal letter if you find it crucial.

Well that is unless this is an attempt at trolling

Well said, and exactly my point. I'm amazed people are jumping all over me for this when I'm actually complimenting the current corps and staff and simply requesting that they stay their current course. How awful of me.

You're complimenting the current corps and staff yet BLAMING the staff coordinator for firing people in a manner which you deem unnecessary. And your further admit you have no affiliation with the corps or know exactly what's going on behind the scenes. So how could you possibly determine whether those dismissals were warranted and/or necessary or not? As someone else pointed out, perhaps those dismissals and the bringing in of other talent were major contributions in SCV fielding their best show in years and are what prompted you to write this request to begin with. Maybe you should operate under the assumption that the leadership of the Santa Clara Vanguard knows what they're doing and let them do their jobs. And honestly, posting this on DCP isn't the best or most direct way to make your feelings directly known to the people you wish to influence.

• Like 2

Open public forum versus formally written letter... I would vote for formal letter if you find it crucial.

Well that is unless this is an attempt at trolling

I received a personal note from the OP. They are not trolling and sincerely believe that creating a public dialogue is healthy.

I hope they do write a personal letter as they so strongly believe in what they posted.

DCP is a perfect place for running ideas up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes prior to going further.

• Like 2

Whatever they do, they better keep Shaw. The man is a master at writing those brass parts

• Like 1

I'm not sure how effective a troll writing "hey, we love what you're doing, please do more of it" is. I'd say it's more a genuine effort. (And I'm baffled that folks are reacting negatively to it. Dude is saying he *likes* what SCV did this year and wants more.)

Mike

• Like 5

Every shake-up Vanguard has done-2010 visual instruction staff, 2011 percussion arranger and staff, 2012 brass staff/brass arranger, 2013 guard staff/guard design team-has put SCV in a better place. The replacements have come-with one exception-because the group that was there decided to move on or move away.

Inside sources say that SCV feels they have the right team with the right chemistry to make the run for a medal.

People weren't neccessarily "fired" as most left of their own volition.

yeah they need time to gel. They hit a home run this year, but there is better yet to come as they get more familiar working with each other

• Like 2

Whatever they do, they better keep Shaw. The man is a master at writing those brass parts

Keep the drill designer too...I loved that drill this year...not as complex as previous years, but way more effective...

• Like 2

I received a personal note from the OP. They are not trolling and sincerely believe that creating a public dialogue is healthy.

I hope they do write a personal letter as they so strongly believe in what they posted.

DCP is a perfect place for running ideas up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes prior to going further.

Thanks, Michael. I appreciate that a lot. I really have no more to say at this point, at least not on this thread. A "letter"? Yes, that has crossed my mind.

• Like 1

I think Boo was just making a joke, hence the smiley. It WAS funny!

I agree with your OP 100%, just fyi. They seem to have built a great staff.